News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Stranger Things - 66 GT350 w. KAMM Spoiler & 427 Cobra on El Mirage and HPM2

Started by Szabo, February 13, 2024, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 14, 2024, 11:29:11 AM
Are we sure thats a spoiler? Or the Cobras bumper?

Spoiler....

This looks to be the same car.   This photo was with the previous photos posted.

Analyzing this photo....I wonder if this is Hi Performance Motors in 1966.  Notice the van has "Hi Performance" on the door and the other GT350's behind the fence.

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: silverton_ford on February 14, 2024, 11:38:25 AMAnalyzing this photo....I wonder if this is Hi Performance Motors in 1966.  Notice the van has "Hi Performance" on the door and the other GT350's behind the fence.
If it's HiPerf Motors the it's earlier one on Sepulveda Blvd (street name changed to Pacific Coast Hwy now and office building on location) not the La Brea one. The Red GT350 is in the garage. There is also one of the Stroppe African Rally Comets. Regular license plates would also indicate they are used cars. I wonder if some are Hertz returns. It'd be simple to swap the side stripes to remove the renta car stigma. Could it be Shelby's Auto Center?
It's a SoCal dry lake. If it's El Mirage it's not on a regular SCTA weekend - not enough cars and a seeming lack of organization. Today if you are going to race on the lakes you need to get a BLM permit but back then you just drove out onto the lake and went for it.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

csxsfm

Agree about El Mirage.  You needed to keep your head on a swivel as there was always fast moving stuff out there.  One time saw Brock out there with an Ultra Lite.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: kranky on February 14, 2024, 11:23:26 AM
The Cobra should be csx3018 at El Mirage just after it's winter break refresh (body and engine) due to an incident at the 1966 Road America races (not sure if incident happened at the June or September event).  El Mirage as mentioned earlier by another poster due to dust instead of Salt Lake crust.

The mountains look awfully close to be Bonneville, see how far they are away in these pictures from 1972
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: csxsfm on February 14, 2024, 02:06:43 PMOne time saw Brock out there with an Ultra Lite.
He was one of the biggest hang glider companies. Ultra lite were a natural progression.
Today the big draw to Adelanto if growing dope - https://www.420property.com/california/adelanto-real-estate/

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: csxsfm on February 14, 2024, 02:06:43 PM
Agree about El Mirage.  You needed to keep your head on a swivel as there was always fast moving stuff out there.  One time saw Brock out there with an Ultra Lite.

Met him at a Hang Glider Meet in Nags Head NC. His company was called Ultralight Products (UP) . His stuff made the rest of our stuff look like junk
Used to transport my hang glider on the top of my 66 GT350
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Szabo

Hello all together,

it seems this thread is right at the point  ;D

Very cool to see this action here ...

Quote from: gt350cs on February 13, 2024, 10:41:01 PM
I believe that the 1966 GT350 might well be 6S420, which is recorded as CA License plate RWD 816. That would be my best guess. Robert Vickery  Leased the car12/2/65 and return to Hi-Performance Motors one month later.

This is a full match for me, i can read the Digits on the GT350 Plate very good, the R is a little bit unclear, it could also be a P, but the rest is clear to read
Very cool, how did you know that so quick.

Everthing known from 6s420 today ?

Quote from: JWH on February 13, 2024, 10:54:37 PM
Great pictures Stephan, thank you for posting. Another question is who is the driver and who are the guys around the cars? The trailer mirror on the passenger door and the whip antennae are really interesting. And the Cobra is running full out. Really cool.

For the Man with the sunglasses and the CS Shirt i have no clue, maybe it is Robert Vickery,

but for the Man which the Helmet i have a match, this man is RAY WOLFF, the Generel Manager from
Hi-Perfromance Motors, 901 N. Sepulveda Blvd, El Segundo (short HPM2)

and this fits also very good in the hole story about the GT350 and the Pic standing on the fence
of HPM2

bilder hochladen kostenlos ohne anmeldung

In this Pic you can see his helmet very good, even the hole Body is similar.

Szabo

Quote from: silverton_ford on February 14, 2024, 11:38:25 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on February 14, 2024, 11:29:11 AM
Are we sure thats a spoiler? Or the Cobras bumper?

Spoiler....

This looks to be the same car.   This photo was with the previous photos posted.

Analyzing this photo....I wonder if this is Hi Performance Motors in 1966.  Notice the van has "Hi Performance" on the door and the other GT350's behind the fence.

No this is spoilered  ;D

i had this Pic also and would post is here, you were just faster then me...

But this Pic is very important and has so many details that it would worth a own thread
I have a conversation with George and Kieth about this and HPM2

When Robert Vickery and 6s420 is right, which i totally believe, this hole pic make a lot of sense.
Notice the chromed Magnum Stars instead of a standard set.
also you can see the Trailer hitch a little bit in the shadow of the car

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 14, 2024, 12:37:13 PM
Quote from: silverton_ford on February 14, 2024, 11:38:25 AMAnalyzing this photo....I wonder if this is Hi Performance Motors in 1966.  Notice the van has "Hi Performance" on the door and the other GT350's behind the fence.
If it's HiPerf Motors the it's earlier one on Sepulveda Blvd (street name changed to Pacific Coast Hwy now and office building on location) not the La Brea one. The Red GT350 is in the garage. There is also one of the Stroppe African Rally Comets. Regular license plates would also indicate they are used cars. I wonder if some are Hertz returns. It'd be simple to swap the side stripes to remove the renta car stigma. Could it be Shelby's Auto Center?
It's a SoCal dry lake. If it's El Mirage it's not on a regular SCTA weekend - not enough cars and a seeming lack of organization. Today if you are going to race on the lakes you need to get a BLM permit but back then you just drove out onto the lake and went for it.

Thanks for the Point with the Stroppe African Rally Comets, didnt know this

i also think that one black car isnt a Hertz, because of missing the gold Rallye Stripe, another one
is a Hertz standing behind the fence

Quote from: csxsfm on February 14, 2024, 02:06:43 PM

Thanks all for the Thoughts about the EL MIRAGE Dry Lake and not about Bonneville

because we know the HPM2 Pic in El Segundo and see the trailerd Cobra i must also say it make no sense that
is Bonneville
EL MIRAGE is about 100 Miles away from LA, El Segundo
Bonneville is about 700 Miles away from LA, El Segundo

For the Rest of the "El Mirage" thing i have no clue, this is a hole new context for me, but i would like to read
and learn more about that ...

Quote from: kranky on February 14, 2024, 11:23:26 AM
The Cobra should be csx3018 at El Mirage just after it's winter break refresh (body and engine) due to an incident at the 1966 Road America races (not sure if incident happened at the June or September event).  El Mirage as mentioned earlier by another poster due to dust instead of Salt Lake crust.

Thanks for the thought of CSX3018 ... i checked this in the registry but there is no connection to the Hi-Performance Motors Shop,
also no origin colour is named, License Plate is hard to read
i have to check this also.

THANKS TO ALL for the Action,
this is what the forum should have to be...

Greets from Germany

Stephan

CSX4781

Szabo,
  Thanks for posting these photos, neat to see pictures that have never before been published (to the best of anyone's knowledge). I'd sure like to be the guy to find that Comet..... ;D.....good stuff!

Dave

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Szabo on February 14, 2024, 04:59:37 PMi also think that one black car isnt a Hertz, because of missing the gold Rallye Stripe, another one is a Hertz standing behind the fence

For the Rest of the "El Mirage" thing i have no clue, this is a hole new context for me, but i would like to read and learn more about that ...
Excuse my HPM1/2 mixup. 1150 LaBrea was first. Photos are at 901 S Sepulveda (Now named 909 Pacific Coast Highway)
All the Hertz cars didn't get the LeMans stripes. There is a letter from Hertz to SA at some point stating that all the future cars must have the LeMans stripes.

SoCal dry lake racing has been going on since the 1920s. They ran Muroc before WWII but that became Edwards AFB where they landed the space shuttle. They let SCTA have a reunion (75th?) on the lake in 1996 - https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=10258.0  Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=517Q0F-v1JU  A couple GT350s in the first couple minutes - I haven't watched the whole thing.

After the war SCTA moved their organized meets to El Mirage. They even have their own garage compound west of the lake now. When CS talks about a bunch of west coast hot rodders building his cars he wasn't kidding. Here's Phil Remington in 1947. Ray Brown was also a fast runner and noted engine builder. He went into the seat belt business and sold that in 1966. After that he landed at Superior Industries who became one of the largest aluminum wheel manufacturers - want to guess who Shelby called for advice to get his wheel business off the ground?

gt350cs

Szabo, I have recorded as many "original issue" license plate numbers that I have been able to find. Howard got me started we he share infromation from The Hertz cars that I was researching. From that it has expanded to all years that I can find. By the way the 1966 Black and Gold Hertz pictured in Mustang Monthly was assigned the CA Plate SVR 416. My car received SVR 419 - (corrected Plate Number). Both are recorded in the Registry. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Corretion - "Mustang Monthly" should be "Mustang Does It" book by Ray Miller!

Side-Oilers

If it's dirt, it's El Mirage or Muroc, or any other SoCal dry lake.   

If it's salt, it's Bonneville.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

camp upshur

That Ray Wolff red notchback #9?
Has anyone covered that car? Maybe I've missed it ??
Not trimmed as a Group ll, but talk about SAI DNA, wow.