News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Stranger Things - 66 GT350 w. KAMM Spoiler & 427 Cobra on El Mirage and HPM2

Started by Szabo, February 13, 2024, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6S1568

Is this a photo of the same Ray Brown that made the seatbelts for the 65-66 GT-350's?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 6S1568 on February 15, 2024, 12:44:21 PM
Is this a photo of the same Ray Brown that made the seatbelts for the 65-66 GT-350's?
Yes - He started making them for his hot rod buddies and by 1962 was selling them to .gov. He got bought out (American Safety?) in 66 but stayed on as a consultant for about 1 1/2 years then went into the aluminum wheel business.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: camp upshur on February 15, 2024, 12:01:30 AM
That Ray Wolff red notchback #9?
Has anyone covered that car? Maybe I've missed it ??
Not trimmed as a Group ll, but talk about SAI DNA, wow.

When was the switch from B Sedan to A Sedan class for the Mustang?
I'd wager just about every SA employee bought a Mustang and deeply discounted SA parts to modify their car bypassing the premium prices CS was getting. I have been looking for a fastback I last saw in the early 1970s. It was a K code complete with all the SA race parts right down to Webers. It was built as a Bonneville car but had fiberglass doors and an aero fiberglass nose. The owner said he had a buddy that worked at SA and he bought the shell and engine parts from them. He said it was a car they had robbed all the spare parts off for the race cars. Not being into Shelby's at the time I paid little attention once he said not for sale. His house got bought and a big church built on the spot - someday it will surface.

S7MS427

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 15, 2024, 04:36:42 PM
I have been looking for a fastback I last saw in the early 1970s. It was a K code complete with all the SA race parts right down to Webers. It was built as a Bonneville car but had fiberglass doors and an aero fiberglass nose. The owner said he had a buddy that worked at SA and he bought the shell and engine parts from them. He said it was a car they had robbed all the spare parts off for the race cars. Not being into Shelby's at the time I paid little attention once he said not for sale. His house got bought and a big church built on the spot - someday it will surface.

That looks like the Fiberfab conversion kit for '65 - '66 Mustangs.  Not many of them around...
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: S7MS427 on February 15, 2024, 05:41:54 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 15, 2024, 04:36:42 PM
I have been looking for a fastback I last saw in the early 1970s. It was a K code complete with all the SA race parts right down to Webers. It was built as a Bonneville car but had fiberglass doors and an aero fiberglass nose. The owner said he had a buddy that worked at SA and he bought the shell and engine parts from them. He said it was a car they had robbed all the spare parts off for the race cars. Not being into Shelby's at the time I paid little attention once he said not for sale. His house got bought and a big church built on the spot - someday it will surface.

That looks like the Fiberfab conversion kit for '65 - '66 Mustangs.  Not many of them around...

Yes it was. I checked with Howard he says the guys story was BS on the body shell.

Side-Oilers

Stephan: Excellent detective work and effort!  Much appreciation for your ability to find previously-unseen photos, and for your skill of creating sight-lines on the photographs, to give us all a better perspective of where the various areas of the S-A facility were located.

Brett, thanks for the thought that some S-A employees (1965-67 era) would've built a Shelby on their own. I'd never actually thought about that, but it makes perfect sense. Why pay full price? Order a K-Code (via the X or A Plan) then get the S-A parts at a discount, and do the conversion work yourself on the weekend, probably utilizing some S-A employees and shop space/tools.

I guess that some small parts may have gone home in lunch boxes. But, I'll bet not much of that happened, because of the small size of the operation and not much extra inventory of parts.  There probably wasn't a lot of "it fell off the truck and got damaged" stories, either. Not unless you wanted Carroll's boot up your azz.

Thoughts?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

J_Speegle

Quote from: S7MS427 on February 15, 2024, 05:41:54 PM

Yes that is from one of their ads. One of two versions. 66 If that is the year being focused on)  would be very early to be able to get your hands on one of those. Know of one fo the first ones to come off the molds and it was the conventional style not the tilt style
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

S7MS427

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 15, 2024, 06:54:09 PM
Yes that is from one of their ads. One of two versions. 66 If that is the year being focused on)  would be very early to be able to get your hands on one of those. Know of one fo the first ones to come off the molds and it was the conventional style not the tilt style
I always thought those kits looked pretty cool.  Better still would be if you added on the spoiler rear deck to the front end kit.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

propayne

That particular kit was designed by Larry Shinoda for Fiberfab if I'm not mistaken.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

J_Speegle

Quote from: propayne on February 16, 2024, 01:52:56 PM
That particular kit was designed by Larry Shinoda for Fiberfab if I'm not mistaken.

- Phillip

Correct, moonlighting while working GM at the time I believe. There are a couple of past threads on the subject
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Szabo

i thank you all for your answers,

at the moment we can only suggest that the GT350,
has anybody a opportunity to contact Robert Vickery ?
i only find an old Articel and did a Face Comparsment,
seems pretty much the same as on the T/A Mustang Pics

For the Cobra we can only suggest it is CSX3018, the 427 Competition from Messersmith,
but i cant find a Pic where it is with the Racing Windshield and the other Details.
the pic below has the Oil Cooler Cover and the Chromed Sidepipe, but seems time period correct

Quote from: gt350cs on February 14, 2024, 10:22:26 PM
Szabo, I have recorded as many "original issue" license plate numbers that I have been able to find. Howard got me started we he share infromation from The Hertz cars that I was researching. From that it has expanded to all years that I can find. By the way the 1966 Black and Gold Hertz pictured in Mustang Monthly was assigned the CA Plate SVR 416. My car received SVR 419 - (corrected Plate Number). Both are recorded in the Registry. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Corretion - "Mustang Monthly" should be "Mustang Does It" book by Ray Miller!

Really cool, i like that nerdy stuff, reminds me of Richstangs MFG License Plate Thread,
when i found something i will send it to you, hope we all can find more interesting stutt

Quote from: camp upshur on February 15, 2024, 12:01:30 AM

That Ray Wolff red notchback #9?
Has anyone covered that car? Maybe I've missed it ??
Not trimmed as a Group ll, but talk about SAI DNA, wow.

i have some more pics from the ebay seller
i tryed to contact TransAmEdgar from the Ponysite.de, he is the best source for that stuff

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 16, 2024, 02:21:06 PM
Quote from: propayne on February 16, 2024, 01:52:56 PM

- Phillip

Correct, moonlighting while working GM at the time I believe. There are a couple of past threads on the subject

For the hole Fiberfab Thing i have not much,
only know 5s304 was converted and show 2013 in a Mustang Magazin with the Front End and the 67 Syled Rear End

Greets from Germany

Stephan

98SVT - was 06GT

The airport race is at Santa Barbara (Golita) Airport.  https://0398ca9.netsolhost.com/covsb966.htm #4 Don Peck is probably a typo for Don Pike who ran a blue Mustang. And don't miss Pete Brock #73 running his Hino. Ted Block #3 was our local Datsun dealer I wonder if he and Brock had any talks about Brock racing Datsuns. Shelby owned an office building in Playa Del Rey. I wonder if Brock was in the same building it's kind of a bedroom community without an industrial area to build race cars.

The Red Coupe is probably one of those back door efforts if we can't find it in the SA Group 2 build list. As an AS car it would have been run in local SCCA club races. Sometimes the amateur cars would run in a TA race to bulk up the field.

As near as I can tell SCCA changed classes in 1966 adding the TA series and designating TA as the pro cars and AS & BS as the club ones. Both built to the same specs.

AS = American SedanĀ® (AS), comprised of Chevrolet Camaros, Pontiac Firebirds and Ford Mustangs, are production-based chassis with modified suspensions and brakes. Engines are carbureted 302 and 305 CID V-8s that have been balanced and blueprinted.

BS = B Spec for the compact cars - under 2.0L

Group 2 was the FIA classification that SCCA followed for the pro TransAm series and their own AS class - The Group 2 racing class referred to regulations for cars in touring car racing and rallying, as regulated by the FIA. Group 2 was replaced by Group A in 1982. Today SCCA has the TransAm (licensed to an outside company) and the GT1. Both the same cars TA is pro series and GT1 amateur series.

CSX4781

Actually, Donald Peck (who was Gregory Pecks brother) bought the silver blue Group II car used to develop the Group II package from Shelby and raced it for a couple of years,  first in its original blue, then later yellow. The Peck-Pike thing has definitely created some confusion in the history of these cars.

Dave

Side-Oilers

Interesting coincidence (?) in the 1966 Santa Barbara race program that Brett posted:  Michael Szabo, Cortina driver. 

Any relation to our own Stephan "Szabo"?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

SFM66H

First off - THANK YOU Stephan (Szabo) for sharing / posting the incredible new-to-us photos of the Kamm tail GT350, especially that one of it at Hi-Performance Motors on Sepulveda!!! (HPM 2). That one really made my year!! I've said several times on this Forum that the greatest thrill for me in this hobby is that the start of every new year reveals photos that were previously unknown to us, and that the thrill of that has never faded for me.

It got George Watters & I to restart previous discussions we have had about HPM 2, and when I resent him that rear view of a GT350 parked outside with the dealership in the background, he added some great directional location info. I took his information and rotated / reworked an aerial photo that I probably had posted on Forum 1.0 back in the day.

Here are George's words, and then the photo that I reworked (with added directional lines):

"The close up rear shot of the '65 GT 350 is the one that you can the exterior of HPM 2 building. The camera is facing South so we see the North side of the showroom. I think that this picture is the only one that I have ever seen that actually shows part of the exterior of the showroom. Again we are facing South. Sepulveda Blvd would be to the left. If you look very closely you can see the side street sign that should say Walnut. ( look closely in the middle of the rear window just above the right top stripe ) Basically looking right thru the small showroom. This was the small street next to HPM and it ran East, West. Sepulveda Blvd ran North, South." 

George

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976