News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Stranger Things - 66 GT350 w. KAMM Spoiler & 427 Cobra on El Mirage and HPM2

Started by Szabo, February 13, 2024, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

tesgt350

Talking about the Rear Spoiler, My Memory is not as good as it used to be but, I remember a story a while back, either here or in Mustang Monthly Magazine about a man who designed the Trunk Spoiler,  He had a Red 65/66 Mustang Fastback.  The Decklid and End Caps were one piece. 

J_Speegle

Quote from: tesgt350 on February 20, 2024, 07:18:52 AM
Talking about the Rear Spoiler, My Memory is not as good as it used to be but, I remember a story a while back, either here or in Mustang Monthly Magazine about a man who designed the Trunk Spoiler,  He had a Red 65/66 Mustang Fastback.  The Decklid and End Caps were one piece.

There has been discussions about who first designed the spoilered trunk lids. Seems to be a fair number of fastbacks with the design all around the same time. Here are some examples

Dearborn Steel Mustang II that traveled around the country with Fords Custom Caravan. More of a shelf with a raised back edge

Bud Anderson built five custom fastbacks that toured around the country. All with a spoiler rear trunk lid area. Here are two of them

This white one, when sold after showing received one of the first Fiberfab front ends. It remained in that buyers ownership into the 1990's. Berry Plastic's used a rear shot of this white Grand American in at least one ad prior to coming up with their own design shown below. As we can read according to this report in the news paper the inspiration was the GT40

Another of the five

Berry Plastic's (provider of the 67 Shelby fiberglass) design

And a white fastback of the one piece that never caught on for a number of reasons

Since all (but the Dearborn Steel car) used production 65 fastbacks its difficult to determine IMHO which came first

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 20, 2024, 02:01:13 PM

1965 Bonneville - NSU Motorcycle powered set a record. Omicron #3 NSU streamliner, Wilhelm Herz, FIA International records, Bonneville 1965
No other shots of the spoilered Mustang I could find but AK Miller did run a Coupe Ford gave him - 289 with Hilborn injection. His Devin roadster in 1966 ran a 427 Ford and sported what are probably the fastest set of 66 GT350 10 spokes ever produced.

TransamEd

Acc. to some pics in Alex Tremulis archive Vince Gardner from DST formed the rear spoiler on his (or a) red fastback some time after 5S08F100009. Gardner and Tremulis met each other quite often and both cars (red and white)appeared there in private photos at Gardners house. Seems like Vince made a second on the white car seen above or changed it to that one later. I think they both together put the first spoiler on Mustang fastbacks aside from the shorty

kranky

Here's another unique rear deck lid spoiler....shot after the 1966 Sebring 12-Hours with part of the damaged Comstock Racing GT40 as a souvenir.

https://library.revsinstitute.org/12-hours-of-sebring/285044

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: kranky on February 21, 2024, 08:00:36 PM
Here's another unique rear deck lid spoiler....shot after the 1966 Sebring 12-Hours with part of the damaged Comstock Racing GT40 as a souvenir.

https://library.revsinstitute.org/12-hours-of-sebring/285044
Maryland Transporter license plate. 1966 owner built?
The Sebring Community Redevelopment Agency is seeking proposals for the development of the property at 139 N. Ridgewood Drive where the Nan-Ces-O-Wee Hotel was located.

CSX4781

Quote from: Szabo on February 14, 2024, 04:36:42 PM
Hello all together,

it seems this thread is right at the point  ;D

Very cool to see this action here ...

Quote from: gt350cs on February 13, 2024, 10:41:01 PM
I believe that the 1966 GT350 might well be 6S420, which is recorded as CA License plate RWD 816. That would be my best guess. Robert Vickery  Leased the car12/2/65 and return to Hi-Performance Motors one month later.

This is a full match for me, i can read the Digits on the GT350 Plate very good, the R is a little bit unclear, it could also be a P, but the rest is clear to read
Very cool, how did you know that so quick.

Everthing known from 6s420 today ?

Quote from: JWH on February 13, 2024, 10:54:37 PM
Great pictures Stephan, thank you for posting. Another question is who is the driver and who are the guys around the cars? The trailer mirror on the passenger door and the whip antennae are really interesting. And the Cobra is running full out. Really cool.

For the Man with the sunglasses and the CS Shirt i have no clue, maybe it is Robert Vickery,

but for the Man which the Helmet i have a match, this man is RAY WOLFF, the Generel Manager from
Hi-Perfromance Motors, 901 N. Sepulveda Blvd, El Segundo (short HPM2)

and this fits also very good in the hole story about the GT350 and the Pic standing on the fence
of HPM2

bilder hochladen kostenlos ohne anmeldung

In this Pic you can see his helmet very good, even the hole Body is similar.

Szabo,
   Another photo of the Ray Wolff 1965 Mustang A/Sedan car, looks like Riverside. I'd bet money that's the Peter Cordts Falcon beside him. Thanks for posting all these photos, I really like the Mustang hardtop sedan racers. I need to get mine put back together....

Dave

Szabo

Quote from: SFM66H on February 19, 2024, 05:40:10 PM
First off - THANK YOU Stephan (Szabo) for sharing / posting the incredible new-to-us photos of the Kamm tail GT350, especially that one of it at Hi-Performance Motors on Sepulveda!!! (HPM 2). That one really made my year!! I've said several times on this Forum that the greatest thrill for me in this hobby is that the start of every new year reveals photos that were previously unknown to us, and that the thrill of that has never faded for me.

It got George Watters & I to restart previous discussions we have had about HPM 2, and when I resent him that rear view of a GT350 parked outside with the dealership in the background, he added some great directional location info. I took his information and rotated / reworked an aerial photo that I probably had posted on Forum 1.0 back in the day.

Here are George's words, and then the photo that I reworked (with added directional lines):

"The close up rear shot of the '65 GT 350 is the one that you can the exterior of HPM 2 building. The camera is facing South so we see the North side of the showroom. I think that this picture is the only one that I have ever seen that actually shows part of the exterior of the showroom. Again we are facing South. Sepulveda Blvd would be to the left. If you look very closely you can see the side street sign that should say Walnut. ( look closely in the middle of the rear window just above the right top stripe ) Basically looking right thru the small showroom. This was the small street next to HPM and it ran East, West. Sepulveda Blvd ran North, South." 

George

Hello Kieth and George

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your afford and contact with me,
always a big help to understand all these little things.

Great to read that you have new points to speak over HPM2

and yes, it is a thrill, it drives me crazy in my brain to find new stuff and find the backround storys of all the
points in time.

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 20, 2024, 02:01:13 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on February 20, 2024, 07:18:52 AM

There has been discussions about who first designed the spoilered trunk lids. Seems to be a fair number of fastbacks with the design all around the same time. Here are some examples

Dearborn Steel Mustang II that traveled around the country with Fords Custom Caravan. More of a shelf with a raised back edge

Bud Anderson built five custom fastbacks that toured around the country. All with a spoiler rear trunk lid area. Here are two of them

This white one, when sold after showing received one of the first Fiberfab front ends. It remained in that buyers ownership into the 1990's. Berry Plastic's used a rear shot of this white Grand American in at least one ad prior to coming up with their own design shown below. As we can read according to this report in the news paper the inspiration was the GT40

Another of the five

Berry Plastic's (provider of the 67 Shelby fiberglass) design

And a white fastback of the one piece that never caught on for a number of reasons

Since all (but the Dearborn Steel car) used production 65 fastbacks its difficult to determine IMHO which came first

Fantastic complication about "The Spoilers" on Mustangs, great to see, some of that i know befor, but mostly new to learn for me...
that one on the "Mel Burns Shelby GT350" is also very interesting, using a Shelby to show it ...

Szabo

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 17, 2024, 05:28:34 PM
Interesting coincidence (?) in the 1966 Santa Barbara race program that Brett posted:  Michael Szabo, Cortina driver. 

Any relation to our own Stephan "Szabo"?

;D Now you got me, i am a time traveller and race for fun in the 60´s  ;D

Thats what i wish, but this is really funny that the "Szabo" name appears in the list
my Nickname comes from a Name in a comedy about a person who´s named Szabo and is
given by friends of mine.