News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Choke cable hole

Started by tomhawk, February 14, 2024, 01:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomhawk

Have a 65 also a 66 Hertz both hipo cars. The 65 is a punched thru hole. I am the second owner of the 65. Purchased In 1973. The 66 clearly has a different hole. Not sure of the process, but does have an area towards the bottom that looks ripped You can see in the pic.  Read an article years ago maybe in Mustang Monthly and they mentioned punched holes. For the choke. The Hertz looks like it could have used a hole saw and it ripped the bottom of the hole. Some holes may be 7/8 but my 66 isnt that big.

CharlesTurner

Guess I started this  ;D

That small hole is something seen now and then, but wouldn't consider it the norm.  Likely happened when making the hole was missed on the assembly line and done later with a long pointed punch/hammer.  Maybe something done by a specific worker/shift during a particular time during the production year.  I have examples of early cars, including 5S003 (Oct '64 build) that have the larger hole and other '65 GT350's and K codes built at San Jose.  My early carryover car has the normal larger size choke cable hole.

Wherever a hole was needed to be made on the unibody for certain options, there was usually a small divot in the metal as a locater for a hole saw.  Sometimes the hole saw will leave an edge on the back side of the hole, which some believe could only be there by using something like a knock-out punch (or conduit punch).  Problem with that is it would be too involved of a process for the assembly line as a knock-out punch requires 2 bits, one on each side with a threaded insert in the middle.  Hole saws would be much quicker.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tomhawk

I agree with the divot indicators. You can clearly see them on the air cond. knockout plate. I think my 65 had some kind of gumbo sealer and not a rubber grommet. The choke cable hole on the Hertz car will remain the way it came off the assy. line. It is a little crude, but that is the way it was made. Thanks for your knowledge on early Shelbys, the input helps.
       Maybe you can answer a question about the 1 inch sway bar. Was it painted black or just black from heat treatment?  Thanks

CharlesTurner

Quote from: tomhawk on February 14, 2024, 10:55:51 PM
       Maybe you can answer a question about the 1 inch sway bar. Was it painted black or just black from heat treatment?  Thanks

Good discussion here:  https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=18166.0

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge