News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

CSX4779

Started by jgroce1985, December 26, 2023, 04:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgroce1985

Hey everyone I hope you are well. I recently bought CSX4779 from a guy who bought it from an estate "supposedly" unfortunately he didn't tell me much about the car and didn't know much to tell. I'm sure he bought it just to flip. I had a few questions that I would love if you could answer for me.

1. I have 4 toggle switches, I know one is a fuel pump does it have to be on all the time or is this just for reserve? I noticed my car has a fuel pressure gauge but no fuel level gauge.

2. Also with no fuel level gauge what size fuel cell does she have so I can get an idea of when to fill.

3. Also I've read post that say this car wasn't built in US. I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly? Something about cars being built in Mexico. I was also told from a NC reputable cobra builder "won't mention the name" that these CSX4000 aren't as good as the CSX6000 because the suspension was cheaply built and you can't find parts for these cars anymore. Is this true? I felt I got a good deal on the car and it will be the closest to a "real" Shelby Cobra that I will ever be able to afford. I owned classic Ferrar's and sold them for a reason. Just do not want any problems with finding parts down the road as I tend to keep my this car. Getting custom made parts can be a real headache

4. The fan toggle switch, should I run it at all times. I haven't noticed any problems with overheating so I haven't ran it, but it's also 50 degrees and winter here.

5. One toggle switch is for the lights, the other I can't figure what it does?

6. In NC out of state vehicles have to be registered through the Highway Patrol has anyone else had problems registering a CXS? I'm worried they are going to give me a hassle with the title saying 1965? Even though she wasn't built then. I really don't want an NCvin on this car as I think it will hurt the value.

7. what size motor was in this car, I've noticed they all came with different engines I read through website history she had a 451. Is this a good engine, any problems with other roush 451 blocks? I take it that's a 427 that has been stroked?

Thanks eveyone.

427Larry

Congratulations, and enjoy, as they are a blast to drive. No, the fuel pumps do not have be on all of the time, as you said for reserve. The fuel cell is most likely 20 gallons, and make sure to check it's date, as they have a expiration. Not sure, but I think it's about 5 years. Yes, there is no gas gauge, but you can add one. The toggle switch, is probably the windshield wipers, but if you want be authentic, (if you care), it would be a fluted knob (available). You do not have to run the fan all of the time, depending on your gauges, (F or C), turn your fan switch on at 180-185F or 80-85C. Your engine is probably a 427FE stroked, and Roush is suppose to build good engines, and stand behind them. I cannot answer your question about the suspension, as I have not really followed the fiberglass cars, just the aluminum ones. Good luck!

sd427

Mine has front pusher fans, plus a rear puller fan, and I have separate toggle switches. The toggle switch for the front pusher fans is way over on the left, near the ignition/starter key. The toggle for the rear puller fan is just to the right of the speedo. I added a thermostat switch for the rear puller fan, got tired of having to watch the water temp gauge. The toggle for that now allows me to force the fan on.

The toggle for the electric fuel pumps is just to the left of the speedo.

I believe the previous owner of mine swapped the headlight toggle for a Lucas style two position pull knob, so I only have three toggles total on the dash.

I think it is also common to swap the fuel pressure gauge for a fuel level gauge. My fuel tank was replaced by the PO, it is around 24 gallons, and the replacement has one of the capacitive fuel level senders.

jgroce1985

Thanks so far for the replies. That may be right on the toggle, if you're looking at the dash it's the bottom Right that I can't figure out. I lights are on a toggle to the bottom left...according to Barrett Jackson when Ron Pratt bought this car it was advertised as having a 40 gallon fuel cell.  I just felt that was awfully big for such a little car. Any ideas on if this car was built in Mexico or not

Bill

Quote from: jgroce1985 on December 26, 2023, 04:03:40 PM
Thanks so far for the replies. That may be right on the toggle, if you're looking at the dash it's the bottom Right that I can't figure out. I lights are on a toggle to the bottom left...according to Barrett Jackson when Ron Pratt bought this car it was advertised as having a 40 gallon fuel cell.  I just felt that was awfully big for such a little car. Any ideas on if this car was built in Mexico or not

Finish Line Motorsports in Las Vegas had this car (fiberglass) in the 2005-2006 time frame, uncertain when it was finished, LeMans Blue, Wimbledon White stripes, black leather interior, 451cubic inch stroker engine with 455hp and 525ft/lbs of torque, Tremec TKO600 5spd, Trigo wheels, with stainless steel knock offs, 42 gallon fuel cell Sold local to Curt A. also on Las Vegas, then sold in 2010 (dealer/private), and again in 2011 (Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale 2011). Last for sale in Chandler, Arizona

HST closed out their fiberglass Shelby production in September/October 2010. At that time, production was moved to Las Vegas. Now being made on a separate, stand alone assembly line in the Superformance plant

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

jgroce1985

So did the dealerships pick which engines went in the car like superformance? I figured Shelby put their own drivetrain in them?

Bill

Quote from: jgroce1985 on December 26, 2023, 07:52:52 PM
So did the dealerships pick which engines went in the car like superformance? I figured Shelby put their own drivetrain in them?

SAI/CSL sold the roller to the builder back then, if you had the required cash, you could be listed as one of their "authorized builders". At that point, the builder either had a buyer in mind who would pick the drive-train they wanted installed, or the builder spent their own money to purchase and install a drive-train. Quite a few of the early CSX4000 series cars had 460 Ford crate engines installed because they were economical, and easy to source.

SPF works the same way these days, they sell the roller, let the buyer decide what drive-train to install, most will attempt to steer a customer into a drivetrain that is easy for the installer to make work, with minimal extra or custom work. Unless of course they are building a demo, in which case it's usually a less radical, more reliable drive-train picked and installed for obvious reasons.

At least that is my current understanding of the process.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Side-Oilers

As for the electric fuel pump:  Unless you also have a mechanical pump on the engine, you'll need to run it 100% of the time. No other way for the go-go juice to get to the carb. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model