News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

One for Pete.....

Started by Mikelj5S230, February 17, 2024, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 18, 2024, 08:27:10 PM
Quote from: Jhockman on February 18, 2024, 02:22:55 PM
January 15 1968

Thanks
Some examples from around your production period. One from within the same week

Jeff, how many times have you seen this damage on a frame rail? I screen shot a portion of your pic for reference. I hope that is OK?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

Thats from the chains holding the cars to the rail carriers. Very common
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 19, 2024, 08:25:41 AM
Thats from the chains holding the cars to the rail carriers. Very common
I was wondering that or wreckers tying a car down too tight back then when towing. So the rail cars didn't use the tie down brackets?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

Special Ed

I would have thought all cars had the tiedown hooks installed on assembly line pete or how would they know which cars were going to be transported on rail truck or boat was that on any  assembly line coded on paperwork as  i dont know and never heard that discussed before?  I would think the tiedown hooks would be installed on rear frame rails before exhaust was installed on the assembly line especially on the dual exhaust cars as its hard to install the long dual exhaust hooks after the rear tailpipes are in place especially on the left side rear its a tight area to work since the gas tank is offset to the left its hard to install the 2 long bolts and nuts on top of frame rails as its a very busy area to work around the tailpipes rear chrome tips and clamps rear hangers and leaf spring shackles all in the way. I been collecting original rear tiedown hooks for last 40 years and found many in old ford dealerships junkyards etc and have more rh sides than lh side since rh side is much easy to remove and have found cars that the lh wasnt removed as it was to much trouble to remove hook after dual exhaust was installed. Just look at the distance between rear gas tank area and lh frame rail vs rh frame rail.

Coralsnake

Just to be clear, Im not saying the cars didnt have the rear tie downs. I am saying the railcars used the frames to cinch the cars down, distorting those holes.

pbf777

I'm not at odds with the theory that some of this damage to the subframes of cars could have been inflicted during the rail transport operations.  But I can assure you, that such definitely takes place, with all to great of frequency, this by the tow & wrecker transport services; this often with the utilization of the ever so popularly "T-Hooks"  trough the subframes often at the rear and then utilizing the winch at the front pulling hard enough to compress the suspension, but unfortunately at the wrong angle being applied in the too great of tension being required for the desired effect.    ;)

Example: 

https://www.truckntow.com/vulcan-t-hook-safe-working-load-4700-lbs.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gad_source=1

I have come to realize that one must all too often participate in the process of any sort of transport operation, otherwise your shyte will get f@#k-up!   :o

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: pbf777 on February 19, 2024, 10:48:03 AM
      I'm not at odds with the theory that some of this damage to the subframes of cars could have been inflicted during the rail transport operations.  But I can assure you, that such definitely takes place, with all to great of frequency, this by the tow & wrecker transport services; this often with the utilization of the ever so popularly "T-Hooks"  trough the subframes often at the rear and then utilizing the winch at the front pulling hard enough to compress the suspension, but unfortunately at the wrong angle being applied in the too great of tension being required for the desired effect.    ;)

Example: 

https://www.truckntow.com/vulcan-t-hook-safe-working-load-4700-lbs.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gad_source=1

I have come to realize that one must all too often participate in the process of any sort of transport operation, otherwise your shyte will get f@#k-up!   :o

Scott.
+1 . Watched it being done in years past and nothing I could do at the time. It makes me cringe when ever I see the damage because I relive those moments.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

I will in fairness present all information until I can confirm or abandon my supposition.

This is a post from Concoursmustang

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10470.30

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on February 19, 2024, 08:18:38 AM
Jeff, how many times have you seen this damage on a frame rail? I screen shot a portion of your pic for reference. I hope that is OK?

Damage yes - normally a deformation on the rear edge of those two rear holes. To the extent shown in that particular picture no IMHO that is extreme and not often found

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 19, 2024, 10:18:34 AM
Just to be clear, Im not saying the cars didnt have the rear tie downs. I am saying the railcars used the frames to cinch the cars down, distorting those holes.

+1
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Wow, Sold for $235k, thats probably a "top 5" KR fastback sale price!

200k plus is the new 100k

...apparently 4 speeds, lack of detailing and a lot of sheet metalwork dont matter on BaT.

Good for the sellers!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 28, 2024, 02:29:38 PM
Wow, Sold for $235k, thats probably a "top 5" KR fastback sale price!

200k plus is the new 100k

...apparently 4 speeds, lack of detailing and a lot of sheet metalwork dont matter on BaT.

Good for the sellers!
+1  I like the Ford blue PS pump. Nice touch. I'll add missing some VERY expensive rare parts also.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

5s386

Wow! Record price for the condition. I hope the new buyer joins SAAC to learn about their new car, and gets an education on factory built stock 1968 Shelbys.
On the other hand, maybe the new owner won't care about originality. They just want to drive it, as is.