News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Clutch recommendations for Big Blocks

Started by TS69GT500, February 21, 2024, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TS69GT500

Curious, with very few manufacturers producing 3 finger Long pressure plates I'd like to know
what clutches other big block owners are running.
I was thinking of a McLeod diaphragm.
Also, I currently have a Ford rebuilt long style 11.5 in my GT500.
Is it wise to  have the pressure plate rebuilt?
Who would be best for a rebuild, Fort Wayne Clutch for example.

Thanks,
TonyS.   

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TS69GT500 on February 21, 2024, 09:27:37 PM
Curious, with very few manufacturers producing 3 finger Long pressure plates I'd like to know
what clutches other big block owners are running.
I was thinking of a McLeod diaphragm.
Also, I currently have a Ford rebuilt long style 11.5 in my GT500.
Is it wise to  have the pressure plate rebuilt?
Who would be best for a rebuild, Fort Wayne Clutch for example.

Thanks,
TonyS.   
I wouldn't be afraid of having the Ford one rebuilt however finding someone to do it locally may be a problem.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Peter L.

I have been running a Centerforce clutch behind my Cobra Jet for years and highly recommend it. The ease of pedal effort alone is worth it. I have a '69 Fairlane Cobra and those cars use a weak 2 piece equalizer bar in the clutch linkage. After many broken/ welded pieces I finally went with the Centerforce and have had no problems since.
              Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

TLea

I'm sure I'll get some push back on this but diaphram clutches create what I call "spaghetti pedal" Feels like wet noodles even if you remove equalizer spring.  My first choice would be rebuilding original if, like Bob said, you can find someone to do it. Second choice based on my own experience would be RAM 3 finger. We've probably used 30+ of them, I had 1 bad right out of the gate but beyond that good experience. We have customers that drive their cars regularly and no issues

BDT 739

I installed a Ram 88883 clutch kit for my 428.

FL SAAC

Quote from: Peter L. on February 22, 2024, 08:06:19 AM
I have been running a Centerforce clutch behind my Cobra Jet for years and highly recommend it. The ease of pedal effort alone is worth it. I have a '69 Fairlane Cobra and those cars use a weak 2 piece equalizer bar in the clutch linkage. After many broken/ welded pieces I finally went with the Centerforce and have had no problems since.
              Pete.

+1 we also have run the centerforce diaphragm clutch it is effortless and clamps down much better than your original 3 finger

Your knee will thank you and your clutch link components will too

Remember in the end technology wins

Good luck with what ever choice you make
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

I agree with Tim on the diaphram thing. They work fine and have less effort but you will never get the clutch pedal to be at the correct height. It is always too low.

The other thing is that the Centerforce in particular will push the pedal up when you are over about 5,000 rpms and I'm used to it but it always catches me by surprise and distracts me from the job at hand, which is paying attention that you don't wreck the car and kill somebody while you are at it.

The stock long three finger is what everything in the clutch pedal system is designed to operate. The diaphram is good but definitely an alien device to a vintage Mustang.

IF for some inexplicable reason that you let someone else drive the car with the diaphram in it, they are going to ask you "what's wrong with your clutch?"
68 GT350 Lives Matter!