News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Restored 69 /70 Shelby wheel any better then a repro wheel from the same place?

Started by Bob Gaines, February 23, 2024, 07:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

A repro 69/70 Shelby wheel has a updated DOT rim with a safety lip and and the aluminum center (which is exact)has a steel slug cast into it so that the center can be welded to the rim. The so called restored wheel has to use the updated DOT rim with safety lip and instead of rivets a cap screw is threaded into the the original center if it is not too brittle or corroded . Both repro and restored wheels are deficient in the same places compared to factory original . At the end of the day the restored wheels has almost the same repro parts in it as the repro  wheel. Consequently in concours nether wheel is any better then the other. Restoration cost is comparable to the cost of a new repro wheel. So the question is why would anyone buy a set of used 69/70 wheels and pay substantial money for them and then spend a substantial amount more to have them restored and end up with basically the same thing as the repro wheel ? If you buy a set of original 69 /70 Shelby wheels they had better be good enough as is to use for your purposes regardless if for show or pleasure driving.  If you have to restore the wheels you are dollars ahead to just buy the repro wheels to begin with because you will end up with the same thing without the extra expenditure of money. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

The last time I checked the 69/70 repro wheels were 500.00 ea and to restore a 69/70 Shelby original wheel it was in the 400.00 range. Prices may have changed. The Paradise Wheel website does not post prices anymore. I had heard that Craig was having a hard time meeting demand for those wheels and consequently stopped selling wholesale to vendors and choosing to only sell direct. I think Paradise Wheel is the only one currently making a steel rim aluminum center reproduction 69 Shelby wheel . The legendary wheels are one piece aluminum and look different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 23, 2024, 08:44:38 PM
The last time I checked the 69/70 repro wheels were 500.00 ea and to restore a 69/70 Shelby original wheel it was in the 400.00 range. Prices may have changed. The Paradise Wheel website does not post prices anymore. I had heard that Craig was having a hard time meeting demand for those wheels and consequently stopped selling wholesale to vendors and choosing to only sell direct. I think Paradise Wheel is the only one currently making a steel rim aluminum center reproduction 69 Shelby wheel . The legendary wheels are one piece aluminum and look different. I don't think that Craig has a hard time

Mr Gaines last time they where available price was $800 each and $100 per cap plus shipping charges. Do not know what the restoration charge is

Shelby 5-Spoke

1969 – 1970 Shelby Mustang 5-Spoke wheels for both the GT350 and GT500. The wheel size is 15″x 7″ with a 4.0″ back space. 5 lug nuts are included with the wheel.

Center caps are available for $100 each. Paradise Wheels Inc. has the tooling for these wheels and has been making them for over 30 years.

They are made one at a time, by hand, with 356-T6 alloy cast center and a high quality chrome rim. They are machined, welded, trued, and polished to original specs. (We also offer a restoration service for these wheels if you need to get yours refinished.)  

These wheels are made to order, we can also customize the offset and width, so delivery time may vary. 

$800 ea

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 23, 2024, 09:17:25 PM

Mr Gaines last time they where available price was $800 each and $100 per cap plus shipping charges. Do not know what the restoration charge is

That goes to show you how long its been since I checked last.

69 GT350 Vert

At those prices I will stick with my original glued, non-riveted rims that have some chrome imperfections.  From 10 feet away they look great.  After 15000 miles they haven't had any issues.  At car shows, I have overheard quite a few comments about my car being a clone until they see the patina on the rims.  Then I hear, "it might be a real Shelby ".   

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 23, 2024, 07:30:47 PM
A repro 69/70 Shelby wheel has a updated DOT rim with a safety lip and and the aluminum center (which is exact)has a steel slug cast into it so that the center can be welded to the rim. The so called restored wheel has to use the updated DOT rim with safety lip and instead of rivets a cap screw is threaded into the the original center if it is not too brittle or corroded . Both repro and restored wheels are deficient in the same places compared to factory original . At the end of the day the restored wheels has almost the same repro parts in it as the repro  wheel. Consequently in concours nether wheel is any better then the other. Restoration cost is comparable to the cost of a new repro wheel. So the question is why would anyone buy a set of used 69/70 wheels and pay substantial money for them and then spend a substantial amount more to have them restored and end up with basically the same thing as the repro wheel ? If you buy a set of original 69 /70 Shelby wheels they had better be good enough as is to use for your purposes regardless if for show or pleasure driving.  If you have to restore the wheels you are dollars ahead to just buy the repro wheels to begin with because you will end up with the same thing without the extra expenditure of money.
Only those easily fooled by a snake oil salesman would restore their wheels now.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 23, 2024, 07:30:47 PM

Gospel !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert