News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 GT 350H Upper Radiator Tank

Started by JTRRozon, February 23, 2024, 10:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTRRozon

I have a 66 GT 350H #1227 with a rebuilt radiator.  It appears that the upper radiator tank has been replaced with a jobber tank.  The car is originally an automatic, but has been converted to a T-5.  The remaining components of the radiator are correct for an automatic transmission.
Any ideas on where to look for date coded correct upper tank for this radiator.
Thanks,
Todd Rozon

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JTRRozon on February 23, 2024, 10:16:55 PM
I have a 66 GT 350H #1227 with a rebuilt radiator.  It appears that the upper radiator tank has been replaced with a jobber tank.  The car is originally an automatic, but has been converted to a T-5.  The remaining components of the radiator are correct for an automatic transmission.
Any ideas on where to look for date coded correct upper tank for this radiator.
Thanks,
Todd Rozon
Do you know what date range you want or are you looking for that information too?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Hi Todd,

Your car 6S1227 is likely a San Jose February 1966 build, so  1-66 rad would be nice, but a 12-65 or 11-65 would also work nicely.  If all you need is to replace the top, watch for a Mustang six cylinder radiator with a date code that works for you.  This will be the most economic choice. These can be found at local swap meets or your favorite auction site.  It is the same top as the V8 radiator.  Then have the AMK radiator tag C4ZE-M2 soldered on to complete the transformation.  Patients will also be a factor.

Last, it needs to look identical to the top tank shown below with the W-MO and your favorite date code.

Best of luck

Cory

P.S.  Don't take it apart yourself unless your are a professional.  I ruined the one in the attached image by doing my self.  I split an edge.

Bob Gaines

As the pictures illustrate look for the tops that used the rounded side strap impression . if your going to the trouble it is imperative that they have the WMO trademark and your date. Anything else is wrong.There are some blank reproduction top tanks that have the rounded side straps .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 23, 2024, 10:47:28 PM
Your car 6S1227 is likely a San Jose February 1966 build, so  1-66 rad would be nice, but a 12-65 or 11-65 would also work nicely.  If all you need is to replace the top, watch for a Mustang six cylinder radiator with a date code that works for you.  This will be the most economic choice. These can be found at local swap meets or your favorite auction site.  It is the same top as the V8 radiator.  Then have the AMK radiator tag C4ZE-M2 soldered on to complete the transformation.  Patients will also be a factor.

+1 Cars built during the same time period as yours would have a Jan 66 date with the soldered on ID tag.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

outlawincorporated

Todd Rozon/JTRRozon

WELCOME ABOARD

i recently discovered an original non restored automatic transmission radiator in my collection of parts in San Fransisco. it is stamped WMO 12-65 but does not have the soldered on tag.
if this is something that might suit your application please drop me a message

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Bob Gaines

For the OP Excellent authentic soldered on tags are available from AMK products so don't let a missing tag slow you down.

GT350AUS

And should the upper tank have some type of baffle plate above the cores so that looking down from the cap opening you can't see the cores?

6s1640

When the radiators were first put together, they all likely had the baffle,  but during rebuild many are left out.  They are not needed to be fully functional.  Finding an original baffle will be very tough.

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: GT350AUS on February 24, 2024, 10:27:21 PM
And should the upper tank have some type of baffle plate above the cores so that looking down from the cap opening you can't see the cores?
From the factory they do have a baffle on top but if the core has been replaced most likely not. They were typically not replaced. The radiator works just as well without them. It is one of those nuance details that is nice to have but no one will know it is there except the radiator owner. Just be sure next time the radiator police are checking for it that they wait for the radiator to cool down first. :o

JTRRozon

The car is originally invoiced in March 66 to Hertz San Francisco. So a late 65 to early 66 upper tank would work.  There is no letters or dates stamped into the top of the rad. 
Thanks for the information provided by all, it is appreciated.

Todd

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JTRRozon on February 24, 2024, 11:47:47 PM
The car is originally invoiced in March 66 to Hertz San Francisco. So a late 65 to early 66 upper tank would work.  There is no letters or dates stamped into the top of the rad. 
Thanks for the information provided by all, it is appreciated.

Todd
My question is does the radiator in the car now have the rounded side straps that fold over onto the top tank or are they square? The reason being is if they are square then you will need to find rounded side straps to solder into the rounded impression on the WMO dated top tank.