News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Space Saver Holddown for Canister- Early 69 Shelby

Started by CSX4781, February 24, 2024, 08:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX4781

I have a real quick question; my 69 GT350 convertible,  #362, only has the regular spare tire hold down in the trunk, rather than the combination canister holddown bracket with spring/tire holddown. Did some preliminary research which indicates that bracket (like the one Dead Nuts On sells) didn't appear until maybe April 1969 (around the time the Boss 302 was introduced). Could anyone provide a description, or maybe a good photo, of what the early 69 setup looks like?

Thanks,
Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CSX4781 on February 24, 2024, 08:27:02 PM
I have a real quick question; my 69 GT350 convertible,  #362, only has the regular spare tire hold down in the trunk, rather than the combination canister holddown bracket with spring/tire holddown. Did some preliminary research which indicates that bracket (like the one Dead Nuts On sells) didn't appear until maybe April 1969 (around the time the Boss 302 was introduced). Could anyone provide a description, or maybe a good photo, of what the early 69 setup looks like?

Thanks,
Dave
Nothing to show because no bracket or spring was used. Bottle was stashed loose under the space saver spare. End of story.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Even though the factory didn't have a specific protocol other then putting the bottle under the space saver spare owners typically will wrap the bottle in a towel before stowing so as to keep it from rattling or scuffing the the paint on the bottle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CSX4781

Bob,
  Appreciate the response. I also got a PM from the original owner of an early 69 GT500 who also noted his was placed on the right side of the gas tank, held in place by being sandwiched between the tank top and the tire/wheel. He also noted that the change to the bracket/spring combination for the canister coincided with the changeover from E70-15 to F60-15 tires (related or not). Learned something new about this car today. Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CSX4781 on February 24, 2024, 11:42:43 PM
Bob,
  Appreciate the response. I also got a PM from the original owner of an early 69 GT500 who also noted his was placed on the right side of the gas tank, held in place by being sandwiched between the tank top and the tire/wheel. He also noted that the change to the bracket/spring combination for the canister coincided with the changeover from E70-15 to F60-15 tires (related or not). Learned something new about this car today. Thanks again for the help.

Dave
All 69/70 Shelby's got space saver spares regardless of if E70X15 or not as a mandatory option even though in other cars it was a regular option. It was a very small percentage of cars total consequently that got a space saver and it apparently did not justify a special part to cradle the fill bottle to be installed. At the beginning of April 1969 the Boss cars went into production and all of the Boss cars had F60X15 tires along with the Shelby's . A F60 X15 full size spare will not fit in the trunk which made the space a saver a mandatory option in those F60X15 equipped cars and what with thousands of space saver equipped cars schedule for production there was now justification for the bottle cradle to be installed in all of the cars after that introduction point including the Shelby's.    That is the relationship of the cradle installation to the size of tire.