News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Marlboro Speedway Trophys and stories

Started by gt350shelb, February 25, 2024, 08:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

Living just 10 miles from the race track i have always been on the look out for items from the track and Trophys from the 50 s and 60s .

This has turned into a rabbit hole of epic proportions.

We  will start  here  https://racer.com/2023/06/03/roger-penske-reunited-with-his-very-first-trophy-in-indianapolis/
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

gt350shelb

Arch James: starter duty

photo: Bill Dobbins

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

JD

Cool story, interesting how and where stuff moves about.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350shelb

gt350shelb

gt350shelb

FL SAAC

nice ! love to see what's happening in the background

really makes the picture go live,  keepem coming
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Went there in 1964-65.  My uncle wanted to see the the Formula S Barraccudas run
Don't remember much except it was hot and noisy
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

68gtcoupe

Having grown up in the area, I remember hearing about it (was before my time). Remnants of the track still exist IIRC.   

gt350shelb

arrived  today  4 flags all signed  2 from marlboro and 2 from the glen

gt350shelb

gt350shelb

gt350shelb

gt350shelb

gt350shelb

the daytona race/ right to left SuzyDietrich  /Donna Mae Mims/ Janet G. Suzy Dietrich, Janet Guthrie, and Donna Mae Mims made history in 1966 when they became one of the first two all-female driver teams to finish an international 24-hour endurance race. Competing for the Ring Free Racing Team, the three drivers and their Sunbeam Alpine finished 32nd at the 24 Hours of Daytona. They completed 389 laps around the 3.8-mile circuit.

So there has to be a shelby connection .

1967 they were suppose to get 2 66 shelbys to race in the 24 hrs . from shelby...... car #71 and car #72  at last minute  there were no cars provided for  the ladies team a 66 . a 66 notch back was entered with ring free sponsered men team . a 66 street car was  converted to a race car and driven to the track for the race. finished 20th over all for  Guthrie and team . Suzy ended up with seat in a   ASA411.