News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 Automatic shifter handles

Started by Coralsnake, February 26, 2024, 08:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

The silver jade car currently on BaT has a wooden handle shifter without the snake. I am pretty sure this handle was "released" for production, but is it common?

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 26, 2024, 08:17:00 AM
The silver jade car currently on BaT has a wooden handle shifter without the snake. I am pretty sure this handle was "released" for production, but is it common?

No I don't think it was common. I have mostly seen them as replacements when owners were questioned decades ago. Now days it is harder to get confirmation because cars have passed through more owners. Shelby had a common practice of sticking emblems everywhere on the 68,69and 70 Shelby's . Consequently it does not follow that they would abandon the practice on purpose especially since there are many late production autos that have had the snake handle all of their lives. Logically this would imply that ether some slipped through by mistake or it is a replacement. There are many versions of the exact wood handle with different emblems etc. that sold through Shelby and others during that time period. This the general consensus at least until more compelling evidence suggests otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

I can't speak for the 1st year of my cars life but when I bought in in July 1970 (built April 7th) it had a non snake handle. Since it was a Hertz car someone may have taken a souvenir.  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Krelboyne

I would imagine that they were available plain. There was a Cougar version for the 1970 Eliminator.

Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

J_Speegle

Quote from: Krelboyne on February 26, 2024, 04:39:05 PM
I would imagine that they were available plain. There was a Cougar version for the 1970 Eliminator.

Plain ones (without the snake) were sold through may speed shops and in catalogs like JC Whitney and Honest Charles
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

propayne

Scan from a vintage brochure.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Coralsnake

Thank you all

The plain ones were also "released for production" according to an AOSmith letter I have.

Not sure if that means they made it to the floor
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TOBKOB

[quote Plain ones (without the snake) were sold through may speed shops and in catalogs like JC Whitney and Honest Charles
][/quote]
Interesting but I doubt Hertz or Ford would replace one from those sources ( who knows) but probably from a Ford  dealer. My car went from Hertz back to Ford then I bought it so I wouldn't expect a third party part but who knows... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

J_Speegle

Quote from: TOBKOB on February 26, 2024, 09:01:07 PM
[quote Plain ones (without the snake) were sold through may speed shops and in catalogs like JC Whitney and Honest Charles
]
Interesting but I doubt Hertz or Ford would replace one from those sources ( who knows) but probably from a Ford  dealer. My car went from Hertz back to Ford then I bought it so I wouldn't expect a third party part but who knows... :)
[/quote]

Dealer might have had them as an impulse item hanging in the dealership/at parts counter. As mentioned we will never know just discussing the possibilities
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge