News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

None to be Found FRP Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic  

Started by FL SAAC, February 28, 2024, 09:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Branda does not have any fiberglass for 1969-70 Shelbys

Spoke to someone very knowledgable  about our Shelby hobby and this is what he had to say :

The covid or the pandemic has disrupted the supply chain and many industries have disappeared during the pandemic. Mostly affected where the small or niche suppliers in all industries

Many exclusive parts are NO LONGER being manufactured and don't believe they ever will.

For example anything for the 1967 through 1970 Shelbys.

Specifically special brackets, bumpers, fenders and hoods etc.

If you don't find a  used or repro item today,  more than likely you will never find it at all.

" The times they are a changing "
Dylan
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

The molds will sit outside and weather. In another 5 years they will end up in the trash. It's easy to create a hobby business making these parts. The most difficult/expensive part is generating the molds. It's not a lost art but very close to it. Someone needs to contact the owners of the molds and snap them up.
I have the molds for my 95 GT1/TA Mustang and get a couple calls a year to make someone a part. I sold all the ShoGun molds and chassis jig to Speedy Bill at Speedway Motors for his fiberglass museum.

In the other thread on FRP ( it seems to be locked/controlled) - There were two completely different process used to produce parts for cars. The low production pre 1968 Shelby American built cars got "hand laid" "wet" parts. There is an open one sided mold and that is sprayed with a gel coat to produce a smooth surface. On top of that glass mat is laid on by hand or sprayed on with what's called a chopper gun. With true hand laid cloth is placed over the mat and the surface is rolled to squeeze out the excess fiberglass resin. This results in an even thickness with minimal resin. The chopper gun method pulls fiberglass string off a roll into a gun where it's chopped up and sprayed out with the resin. This results in uneven surface and high resin content. Some places will add cloth over this but you don't end up with an even thickness. To make this mold you create a buck (what you want it to look like), wax it heavily, spray on tooling gelcoat (which is harder), and then lay on several coats of mat ending by creating a wood or steel stiffening framework to support the mold so the parts come out straight. Note: The original 66 side scoops used the same method as the 68 up cars.
In 1968 when Ford started building the cars with a Shelby Automotive nameplate they contracted AO Smith to manufacture and install the parts using what I'll call the Corvette method. The molds for this are very expensive. Made out of steel and 2 sided both the front and back surfaces have a mold. These are machined and polished to be as smooth as glass. Those molds are filled with a specific amount of for lack of a better description dry thermal plastic and fiberglass strands. The 2 halves are squeezed together and then baked which melts the plastic and produces a part that is very repeatable/accurate for mass production. If you had the original steel mold you could use them to produce a wet layup part but I'll wager those went into the Rouge furnaces in the late 70s.
The hood shown in the other thread would be assembled much like a steel hood with the outer skin and an inner structure glued together rather than with the edge folded over. There would be some steel either molded in or added for the hinge and latch bolts. The side scoops would be 1 piece with bosses for the fasteners molded in.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbymann1970

Not available? From a few minutes ago.  There are parts that I want but they are OUT OF STOCK on those. I check every couple of days even though when I talked to Tony II ayt Columbus he said they may be gone forever.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

KR Convertible

Seems a little self serving to post this the day after you list every piece of fiberglass you own!!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: KR Convertible on February 28, 2024, 11:41:48 AM
Seems a little self serving to post this the day after you list every piece of fiberglass you own!!
My opinion is I think it is wrong to sell parts here on our forum and not specify if repo or original. Then post a topic(this one) saying they  are no longer available(repo?) but yet you or I can buy them right now as of this morning from Branda and to be clear Branda isn't the only one selling repo fiberglass parts. You can find a nice brand new repo hood for 949 with no cost for stripping. It cost me 1200 just to strip all my fiberglass back in 1998(fenders hood, decklid end caps and valance). But this is 'merica so anyone can do what they want  here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/115120558614
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

I have several friends at Branda. I have been a customer for over 35 years.

They have assured me that have no intentions of discontinuing any parts at this time and they will continue to offer the same great service as they have in the past.

As mentioned above there are several manufacturers of reproduction fiberglass.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 28, 2024, 11:59:20 AM

They have assured me that have no intentions of discontinuing any parts at this time and they will continue to offer the same great service as they have in the past.

Tony and I talked at Columbus for at least an hour about discontinued parts and such and if those discontinued parts will get a new supplier(a lot of times the supplier dies and they need someone else to pick up from there). Like when the front spoilers went away. mold die disappeared then a few years back Hank Huisman got the ball rolling again on them. Hood moldings were another thing. But fiberglass parts like the fenders and such have never been an issue from what I have seen so I was surprised by the first comment.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

FL SAAC

NOPE !

Self serving and underhanded is when you post something  like the attached

This on going lack of 1967 - 1970 parts has been coming since 2018

What I did is wake you up today,  smell the coffee cause it ain't getting better

Your welcome

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on February 28, 2024, 11:49:02 AM
My opinion is I think it is wrong to sell parts here on our forum and not specify if repo or original. Then post a topic(this one) saying they  are no longer available(repo?) but yet you or I can buy them right now as of this morning from Branda and to be clear Branda isn't the only one selling repo fiberglass parts. You can find a nice brand new repo hood for 949 with no cost for stripping. It cost me 1200 just to strip all my fiberglass back in 1998(fenders hood, decklid end caps and valance). But this is 'merica so anyone can do what they want  here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/115120558614

Hey everyone look it's the bring a trailer guy !

Last time I looked it was allowed to sell on this forum

And that hood for 900 bucks only fit's a regular mustang

Can't put it on shelby fenders

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 28, 2024, 11:59:20 AM

Yes sir and here we have the classic case of  " the lights are on, but nobody's home"

Where do you think I got the information from ?

Branda, called two years ago when I needed parts for my shelby

Guess what goose eggs, they had nothing

Check again about those "friends you have over there" cause they are steering you wrong. But that's not hard to do...

I have all UNGOLD cars