News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 Shelby GT350 Autolite push-on breather

Started by DP Customs, February 29, 2024, 07:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP Customs

Greetings, I'm trying to track down a new chrome breather, just like this one stamped AUTOLITE.  I'm working on the car for a customer and he either wants this part re-chromed (a challenge with the way it's assembled) or find a new one.  Any tips or suggestions would be great.  So far, the only repro's I've found are stamped FoMoCo.  Thank you very much!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DP Customs on February 29, 2024, 07:58:26 PM
Greetings, I'm trying to track down a new chrome breather, just like this one stamped AUTOLITE.  I'm working on the car for a customer and he either wants this part re-chromed (a challenge with the way it's assembled) or find a new one.  Any tips or suggestions would be great.  So far, the only repro's I've found are stamped FoMoCo.  Thank you very much!
No AUTOLITE repros. I would rechrome it. A autolite chrome breather is hard to find and one with excellent chrome is even harder.  Ether you or the chrome plater burns out the fiber inside . After chroming you get some stainless steel wool and stuff the insides . You do it with the bottom cross twist bar in place.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DP Customs

Thanks Bob, that's great info, I appreciate your help!

68blk500c

Your chrome shop must understand that the autolite must be preserved in their process.  That is the whole point. 
If they fill it in and buff it out, it is ruined.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68blk500c on March 01, 2024, 10:51:49 AM
Your chrome shop must understand that the autolite must be preserved in their process.  That is the whole point. 
If they fill it in and buff it out, it is ruined.
Great point .You never know what is in the mind of the guys doing the chroming . They typically are trying to make it shine as much as possible. Some of the worst damage to the historical aspect of a part being chrome plated can be done with them trying to make it look pretty. A example is that on those push on breathers with the nipple the inner structure was spot welded to the inside of the top. It many times left two dimples from the process when chrome plated. It was most prevalent in the 65-67 breathers and less so in the 68-70 breather caps where many of the dimples were diminished or not visible. The chrome platers instinctively polish the dickens out of the tops to get the dimples out unless you advise them otherwise. The dimples are a sign of a original part that the repros do not have . If you see the dimples you know it is a original part if not then it could be a repro. this of course not the case with the Autolite because it is not reprod YET. Arguably one of the few things repro that are made better then OEM. The smooth modified part has a arguably nicer look. For the people who are in to original details the dimples are a badge of authenticity that they are proud of and happy when they see them on a car they are viewing. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DP Customs

All good advice.  Thanks fellas, this helps a lot.