News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 GT350 Front End Installation pictures?

Started by Kent, March 07, 2024, 03:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Hello I´m looking for some helpful pictures of the correct front end installation for a 68 Shelby GT350. Including which brackets were welded and which were just with screws. Maybe someone has pictures here from a restoration. My body guy and painter has a GT350 and he calls me 100 times and it's hard to explain every detail. I was looking for pictures over google but the most are not very correct or just clones. Thanks for the help.

By the way does someone here has a Nose Top Panel which is going between the 2 headlight buckets and that has the SHELBY letters on it then for the 68 in stock with the Shelby part number on it repro or original? I would need it. Thank you....
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

too many times restorers put the fiberglass header  BEHIND the brackets on the nose. First pic  of red car is WRONG. Second one on the white car is correct on the bracket being under the header.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Kent

Yes that's a usual thing I see often and it don't make sense to mount fiberglass like this.

I always did it the right way and thought its wrong and was not done like this by the factory but I thought its better for the fiberglass and years later I found a concours restored one at a saac meet and found out my thinking and doing was right as they mounted it the same way like I did all the years.

By the way I need one of these top panels does someone here has one for sale?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Bill Collins

Here is the page from the factory assembly manual showing the alignment to be as Shelbymann and Kent describe it. (View "T" in the drawing).
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Jhockman

Quote from: Kent on March 08, 2024, 03:04:03 AM
Yes that's a usual thing I see often and it don't make sense to mount fiberglass like this.

I always did it the right way and thought its wrong and was not done like this by the factory but I thought its better for the fiberglass and years later I found a concours restored one at a saac meet and found out my thinking and doing was right as they mounted it the same way like I did all the years.

This might be a good option.

shelbymann1970

what boggles my mind is the header brackets have a threaded extruded hole for the bolt so why would anyone mount it wrong because you would need a nut or clip on the backside to hold it in place and possibly tightening up on the extruded hole.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on March 08, 2024, 02:56:38 PM

what boggles my mind is the header brackets have a threaded extruded hole for the bolt so why would anyone mount it wrong because you would need a nut or clip on the backside to hold it in place and possibly tightening up on the extruded hole.

It's a no brainer to me. Very juvenile.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SAM83

I'm making a list of things that didn't get done or wasn't done correctly when my car came back from restoration 7 years ago and saw this discussion so had to take a look. Sure enough, I'm in violation of the fiberglass not being on the correct side of the bracket, the hardware used to secure the fiberglass to the bracket is also not correct.

Am surprised as I supplied the restoration shop with the Master Body kit from AMK which should have contained the correct part to use. 

In the picture of the white car, I see a bolt used on each end of the header support bracket.  Are they both the same bolt/washer assembly? 

Cannot find my catalog that contains the assembly drawing ever since I cleaned my office. Is the bolt assembly PN 378178 -52?  Picture is a little grainy.  If so, does the link below contain the correct part with correct bolt head stamping and finish?

Apologies as I cannot figure out the insert hyperlink option.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/body-bolt-chrome/167653/202914

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

SAM83

Thanks Pete!  I had come to a dead end in my search.