News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Registering and titling a '65 GT350

Started by Mikelj5S230, March 07, 2024, 09:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikelj5S230

I know this has probably been asked many times, but this is the first '65 GT350 I have ever had so wanted to check. I see on the title of the car I am buying has only the Shelby serial number, no Ford VIN. I am assuming my state, New Mexico, will transfer the title using that number on it and the registration without any problems or questions about a Ford VIN. I am hoping all states recognize the Shelby serial number and not a Ford VIN, correct?
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on March 07, 2024, 09:33:27 AM
I know this has probably been asked many times, but this is the first '65 GT350 I have ever had so wanted to check. I see on the title of the car I am buying has only the Shelby serial number, no Ford VIN. I am assuming my state, New Mexico, will transfer the title using that number on it and the registration without any problems or questions about a Ford VIN. I am hoping all states recognize the Shelby serial number and not a Ford VIN, correct?
Unfortunately all states are not the same and it is more a bureaucratic issue meaning it depends on the state and also the person in the state. Technically Shelby and the Shelby VIN is the MFG of record and all states should recognize that. Some times you may have to argue the point with supporting documentation to get the correct way. If you are lucky you will not. In the end it really doesn't matter if you can't win the argument because there was only one Ford VIN that went with one specific Shelby VIN and vice versa.  On the tax side a 65 Shelby VIN can be easily flagged in the system for its high 6 figure value in those states that collect personal property tax every year base on the cars value. That is what happens in my home state of MO on a evolving basis for classic cars that are identifiable as high value. A Ford VIN identifies a old Mustang not worth enough to bother.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mikelj5S230

Thanks Bob, I will cross my fingers and use my local MVD licensed independent guy.  Since NM charges 4% excise tax on vehicle purchases, I am hoping that big number will get me some slack.  8)
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

shelbymann1970

Mike, How about a LLC in Montana and eliminate the taxes on it altogether.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

SFM5S159

I recently formed a Montana LLC to title and register a couple cars.  Worked fine so far!  I would recommend. 
'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

98SVT - was 06GT

DMVs have a book of manufacturers - but never seem read it. The MSO that went with the cars clearly stated manufacturer (65-67 Shelby American - 68-70 Shelby Automotive). But I've seen Shelby, Ford and Cobra listed. My own Hertz car said GT350 for make. Before 1968 builders selected their own VIN designation. The National Highway Act (1968) designated the 17 digit VIN we use today and where it should be located. Go to DMV well armed - these things were built long before the DMV clerk was probably born and they have not encountered one before. If you get some officious idiot who knows everything you will need to educate them that it is not a Ford Mustang but a Mustang GT-350 manufactured by Shelby American as clearly shown on the VIN plate and the second matching VIN stamped on the passenger side. The Ford VIN should not even enter into the conversation. Keep going up the food chain and eventually you'll find some old guy that says - oh yeah I remember these.
On the other hand hopefully you'll get the typical lazy state worker that just rubber stamps whatever is put in front of them.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: SFM5S159 on March 07, 2024, 11:34:59 AM
I recently formed a Montana LLC to title and register a couple cars.  Worked fine so far!  I would recommend.

Who did you use? This sounds interesting.
Permanent Registration -- Transfer Of Light Vehicle Ownership -- Rules
61-3-562. Permanent registration -- transfer of light vehicle ownership -- rules. (1) (a) The owner of a light vehicle 11 years old or older subject to the registration fee, as provided in 61-3-321(2), may permanently register the light vehicle upon payment of an $87.50 registration fee

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on March 07, 2024, 11:39:34 AM
DMVs have a book of manufacturers - but never seem read it. The MSO that went with the cars clearly stated manufacturer (65-67 Shelby American - 68-70 Shelby Automotive). But I've seen Shelby, Ford and Cobra listed. My own Hertz car said GT350 for make. Before 1968 builders selected their own VIN designation. The National Highway Act (1968) designated the 17 digit VIN we use today and where it should be located. Go to DMV well armed - these things were built long before the DMV clerk was probably born and they have not encountered one before. If you get some officious idiot who knows everything you will need to educate them that it is not a Ford Mustang but a Mustang GT-350 manufactured by Shelby American as clearly shown on the VIN plate and the second matching VIN stamped on the passenger side. The Ford VIN should not even enter into the conversation. Keep going up the food chain and eventually you'll find some old guy that says - oh yeah I remember these.
On the other hand hopefully you'll get the typical lazy state worker that just rubber stamps whatever is put in front of them.
+1 . Well said.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 07, 2024, 10:09:09 AM
Unfortunately all states are not the same and it is more a bureaucratic issue meaning it depends on the state and also the person in the state. Technically Shelby and the Shelby VIN is the MFG of record and all states should recognize that. Some times you may have to argue the point with supporting documentation to get the correct way. If you are lucky you will not. In the end it really doesn't matter if you can't win the argument because there was only one Ford VIN that went with one specific Shelby VIN and vice versa.  On the tax side a 65 Shelby VIN can be easily flagged in the system for its high 6 figure value in those states that collect personal property tax every year base on the cars value. That is what happens in my home state of MO on a evolving basis for classic cars that are identifiable as high value. A Ford VIN identifies a old Mustang not worth enough to bother.

It is amazing when looking at the title for my 1966 GT350H
Issued in Jan 1972, after purchasing it on Dec 17, 1971
Make and Body Style of Vehicle "Ford 2H" (I guess they couldn't or wouldn't recognize Shelby as a Manufacturer)
Serial Number "GT350SFM6S1431"
Still uses that number on the State Registration
When I owned Hertz car 1855, the title said "Ford 2" and Serial Number "SFM 6S1855"

My 1975 Kawasaki Z1 B,  Purchased April 21, 1975 as the following--- Make and Body Style "Kawa MC"

I guess they just made them up as they went along

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

68blk500c

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on March 07, 2024, 11:31:10 AM
Mike, How about a LLC in Montana and eliminate the taxes on it altogether.

Serious reading and wise counsel is encouraged before you go down this road.   

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on March 07, 2024, 07:22:40 PMI guess they just made them up as they went along
Most of the time a dealer has a DMV person who fills out the original paperwork and files it. Mine said CPE (Coupe) for body style. Technically that was probably the closest since if wasn't a SEDan or CONvertible. Mine was delivered by HiPerf Motors to Hertz. I'd assume either of them would have filled out the paperwork for DMV correctly.

camp upshur

-Why not register it it California utilizing your NM address and run 'black plates'?
In years past CA req'd a Californian or at least a CA address, but that stopped at least a decade ago.
They just want the fee. So my current CA title has a NV address and I can run my 'serialized' HPM NQR 842 plates (numerically right between Vic Edelbrock's (RIP) '65 and Bob Key's (RIP) '65 in the order HPM sold them-most cool);

-regarding official paperwork: I bought my car in 1974 from the original owner who bought it directly from HPM. HPM never sold him a 'Ford' nor a 'Shelby', nor is it now. I have always renewed using the original paperwork verbiage from HPM:
The make is: 'MUSTA', and;
the body type model is: 'CPEGT350';
The VIN is SFM5S339.
That's it!
BTW there has never been a query or mention of value or anything. Entirely unremarkable.
Mike-check it out.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: camp upshur on March 07, 2024, 08:29:34 PM
-Why not register it it California utilizing your NM address and run 'black plates'?
My Model A with 1929 YOM plate is $200 per year.....
Black Plates carry a personal plate fee and the font is smaller than the originals.
The fees collected for the California 1960s Legacy License Plates are deposited into the Environmental License Plate fund, which benefits environmental projects in California. Personalized Legacy plates can have 2-7 characters (numbers/letters).
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/registration-fees/

Brant

As you mention, it is is titled in another state with the Shelby VIN, SFM5Sxxx. This is 100% correct. That is the "official" VIN and the only one that should be on the title.

Although I am not familiar with your state's DMV, there should be absolutely no problem titling it with that same number in your state. In Virginia, they would title it exactly as listed on the out of state title.

As far as the "model or make" listed, it doesn't really matter, although you definitely want it to be a "1965." I've seen "Ford," "Mustang," "Shelby," etc.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang