News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Power Steering Pump Color?

Started by FordGT, March 11, 2024, 10:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FordGT

What is the correct color for a 67' power steering pump housing can color?

I see lite blueish silver or that Blueish green color.

Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FordGT on March 11, 2024, 10:33:01 PM

Thanks
It depends on the power steering pump MFG. The ones with the W on the second line on the metal tag on the back of the pump are made by TRW and are black . It will also have a TRW trademark made into the cast iron casting on the front of the pump core. The pump that has a F in that second line is made by Ford Thompson  and is painted the teal bluish color . Both pumps were used in 67 San Jose production.  There are also differences in the dipstick and aluminum pump bracket depending on MFG too.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Some images related to Bob's reply above...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 11, 2024, 11:20:21 PM
Quote from: FordGT on March 11, 2024, 10:33:01 PM

Thanks
It depends on the power steering pump MFG. The ones with the W on the second line on the metal tag on the back of the pump are made by TRW and are black . It will also have a TRW trademark made into the cast iron casting on the front of the pump core. The pump that has a F in that second line is made by Ford Thompson  and is painted the teal bluish color . Both pumps were used in 67 San Jose production.  There are also differences in the dipstick and aluminum pump bracket depending on MFG too.
I've seen many shades of that teal blue as I call it. I got a can once mixed up by George Huisman off of a 1969 NOS B9 PS pump. I also mixed some paint up off an original 68 390 pump. I have a NOS 1970 PS pump put away for 4 decades that is another shade of it. NPD used  my 68 shade for a long time as they were selling incorrectly the 65 shade at the time-mid 2000s. I gave a color swatch to my friend Scott at NPD back around 2007. Scott does the ordering and catalogs for the 65-73 Mustangs for NPD in Canton Mi.
  JD's pics are real close to my 69 paint on my 70 Shelby pump. The 68 was more blue and my 70 was more green but since it was batch paint made from 3-4 other colors it varied. 
This B9 is original
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Yes given the Ford Thompson pumps are painted with a batch type variety of paint there ARE variations in shades of the bluish teal paint. There is a range of possible shades within a certain bluish teal look. Anyone that says there is ony one correct color for all isn't informed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FordGT

Thanks for all the help.  My pump is the Thompson.

Thanks again

Greg P

Not sure if it helps, but Scott drake provides a rattle can of that color.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Greg P on March 13, 2024, 06:10:35 PM
Not sure if it helps, but Scott drake provides a rattle can of that color.
A 1968 Shelby that I restored in the late 2000s soured me on Drake products. The parts I bought didn't fit correctly so I took back(finally found NOS) what I bought and the one thing that fit but wasn't correct-a 4 speed shift knob- the incorrect silver ring(should be chrome) started deteriorating within a year. The knob was put on for driving wear as I had a nice original one for it put away. Too bad the Mustang community doesn't have the quality of overall parts available as the Mopar community does.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on March 14, 2024, 09:32:47 AM
As Bob G has stated there was a range of this color,.

another option...

https://www.npdlink.com/product/power-steering-pump-paint/143996?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dpower%252Bsteering%252Bpaint%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967
I got a chuckle at the NPD description. I will have to have a talk with Scott from NPD so he can be informed  ;) . I have not seen the NPD paint sprayed out recently but have a high confidence level that it will fall within the parameters.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 14, 2024, 09:45:21 AM
Quote from: JD on March 14, 2024, 09:32:47 AM
As Bob G has stated there was a range of this color,.

another option...

https://www.npdlink.com/product/power-steering-pump-paint/143996?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dpower%252Bsteering%252Bpaint%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967
I got a chuckle at the NPD description. I will have to have a talk with Scott from NPD so he can be informed  ;) . I have not seen the NPD paint sprayed out recently but have a high confidence level that it will fall within the parameters.
LOL that description is funny.  The best way to do this is to get a bunch of friends together and buy a quart or pint matched to a pump or spray card and have it put it rattle cans and split the cost. I'd bet less than 18 bucks a can. Since they do not have the color on the cap I have no clue if it was my spray card that they made it off of now with their latest mix off of several pumps. See the blue on this pump? It was matched pretty much exact off of a 1968 390 pump that was built around the same time as my car. More blue than most but painter's supply mixed it and I had them fill up a bunch of rattle cans and IIRC the end cost was about 10 bucks a can in 2008. THe lighting make the color vary in the few pics I have of my 68 pump.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

427heaven

Much , much more, good comes from out of the NPD doors... then bad. We are glad they are on our team. ;)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427heaven on March 14, 2024, 12:10:22 PM
Much , much more, good comes from out of the NPD doors... then bad. We are glad they are on our team. ;)
+1 Been dealing with them since the T Bird parts store days and have a very low 3 digit customer number which is also the CI of a Chevy engine. It is easier to give them my number then spell my last name on orders. Rarely have I ever taken parts back and most of the ones were Drake parts doing my 68 Shelby. I've known Scott there for about 4 decades.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

rcgt350

When I'm back home next week I can send you a PPG paint code I used and had it mixed for a spray can, after trying all the part suppliers paint which weren't even close, this was a welcome treat.
Better paint too in the end.