News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Real original or reproduction

Started by 1968GT500CS, March 13, 2024, 06:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S412gofast

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 14, 2024, 02:48:11 PM
For the original emblems

GT 350 / GT 500 were flat, chrome and black with pins

GT 500 KR was chrome/ black with raised gold snake no pins

To determine if the original posters emblem is original we will have to measure the size of a known original

Good info that I didn't know.  Thank you Coralsnake!
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

Coralsnake

Fran sent me this original. We think the snake has much better detail, leading us to believe the original posting is probably a reproduction. Also noticed letters are much crisper on known original and the thin line detail is unpainted. The original is also a little larger.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

I have only seen this version a couple times. It is very rare pre-production variation

TLea

Sorry, after I posted original question I was on the road yesterday. Pete covered a lot of it. Easiest way to tell if you don't have 2 side by side (or seeing hundreds over the years lol) is length . Originals measure 4.25 repops 4. Other ways are crispness of detail, snakes neck  is longer, tail skinnier and cobra jet lettering is smaller and clearer on originals.
Original posters picture is definately a repop

Corey Bowcutt

That is great information.  I bought a wood grain trim piece that goes over the glove box several years ago and it came with this badge attached.  I always wondered if it was an original.  I really assumed it was not.  But from Tim's description it sounds like it is.  I do not have a KR and most likely never will but its still a cool display piece.

Corey

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

If 4.25 is one of the defining parameters then maybe 3 versions of original . The confirmed one in reply 16 has a thinner chrome perimeter around the words COBRA JET compared to the one in reply 19 that is also 4.25 . So if I have this straight, the typical original emblem in reply #16 is one,  pre production emblem in reply 17  is number 2,  and 4.25 long version with what appears to be a thicker chrome band around the COBRA JET is number 3 . The number 3 version has a similar thicker band around COBRA JET like the one ruled repro and shorter of reply #1 . What are others thoughts?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

The emblem in photo response #16 is also 4.25 inches

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 15, 2024, 04:25:56 PM
The emblem in photo response #16 is also 4.25 inches
Yes that was a given in my post as it was referred to as confirmed meaning original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

I think I see what you are referring to...is it ossible its the reflections ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 15, 2024, 05:16:39 PM
I think I see what you are referring to...is it ossible its the reflections ?
It is hard to say without having them in front of me if a optical illusion or not. From the pictures they appear to be different widths. If they are different widths it will add to the conversation.

Coralsnake

I'm going with they are the same. (ex 16 and 19 postings)

The angle of the two pictures varies just a little and the reflections are a bit confusing.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 16, 2024, 08:06:11 AM
I'm going with they are the same. (ex 16 and 19 postings)

The angle of the two pictures varies just a little and the reflections are a bit confusing.

They look the same in that match up.Thanks.

TA Coupe

I'v had this since about 1975 along with a bunch of other stuff that I got from a friend that bought a lot of things from Carroll in 1971 when Carroll was getting out of cars. I believe that it is NOS original for a KR? It's kind of hard to tell in the pictures but it is 4.25 inches.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Coralsnake

The green backing paper is very common. It appears to be NOS by the details you provided

Look at the upper fangs on the snakes and the "details" comments become more visible