News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 C6 neutral Safety Switch problems

Started by bdmustang, March 14, 2024, 11:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdmustang

Hey Guys.  I had my '68 auto C6 pulled to take care of a crank in the housing.  When putting it back together it seems like a former owner modified the Neutral Safety switch.  I'm pulling my hair ouit trying to determine what exactly should be correct.  When i investigate original Neutral Safety switches they have (like the one on my tranny) raiosed "nothches" to I suppose engage the Neutral and Park positions.  My problem is the shafts of the ones i've seen do not have any kind of notch/notches on the shaft to "engage" the safety switch.  I'm just confused - shouldn't the shaft have grooves/notches for that switch to work?  The Neutral Safety Switch for the '68 C6 is located on the transmission, not in the floor shifter correct?  If anyone has any info concerning this subject I'd REALLY appreciate it.... Thanks, Brian

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bdmustang on March 14, 2024, 11:03:54 AM
Hey Guys.  I had my '68 auto C6 pulled to take care of a crank in the housing.  When putting it back together it seems like a former owner modified the Neutral Safety switch.  I'm pulling my hair ouit trying to determine what exactly should be correct.  When i investigate original Neutral Safety switches they have (like the one on my tranny) raiosed "nothches" to I suppose engage the Neutral and Park positions.  My problem is the shafts of the ones i've seen do not have any kind of notch/notches on the shaft to "engage" the safety switch.  I'm just confused - shouldn't the shaft have grooves/notches for that switch to work?  The Neutral Safety Switch for the '68 C6 is located on the transmission, not in the floor shifter correct?  If anyone has any info concerning this subject I'd REALLY appreciate it.... Thanks, Brian
I have not ever seen or heard of a neutral safety switch that was not bolted to the transmission. The shop manual for all the given years show how to adjust the switch. I have not had a problem with a Ford replacement service switch for Mustang.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Haven't heard or seen a neutral safety switch that was connected to the transmission on a 67-70 Mustang Cougar or Shelby but with the FMX they were located on the shifter but would guess that someone hopefully altered things to make one work in a 68 with a C6
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 14, 2024, 12:13:18 PM
Haven't heard or seen a neutral safety switch that was connected to the transmission on a 67-70 Mustang Cougar or Shelby but with the FMX they were located on the shifter but would guess that someone hopefully altered things to make one work in a 68 with a C6
I guess I need to clarify that when I say connected the transmission I am referring to the linkage on the transmission which I have always considered part of the transmission  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Lincoln tech

Sounds like trans is out of column shift car ??? some pix would help.

bdmustang

I have '68 Shelby with a floor shifter (automatic).  The way I understand it, the Neutral Safety switch is not located  at the shift lever in these cars, but mounts onto the shifter lever selector shaft on the driver side of the tranny.  The lever selector shaft has two detents that mate up with the Neutral Safety switch "tits."  I believe this is the correct set-up.  My neutral safety switch was worn out (one of the tits was nearly gone), so I got into this part of the tranny.  Appreciate the comments/help.  When I learn how to atttach a photo, I'll include those!  haha

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 14, 2024, 12:47:32 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on March 14, 2024, 12:13:18 PM
I guess I need to clarify that when I say connected the transmission I am referring to the linkage on the transmission which I have always considered part of the transmission  ;) .
Here is a picture of a 68 GT500 C6 transmission. Of course the CJ version looks the same from this angle with the exception of the CJ trans having a cast iron tail shaft. The point being as can be seen that the neutral safety switch is slide on to the shifter shaft of the trans AS WELL as being bolted directly to the transmission case.

Royce Peterson

Bob is correct. All of them 1967 - 70 have the same NSS and mount the same C4 - C6. The Scott Drake part is to be avoided for quality reasons.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

bdmustang

Thanks Bob, yes - that is how mine looks.  Just have to replace my worn out Neutral Safety Switch.  Thanks again