News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

correct black paint for 1968 radiator

Started by bdmustang, March 17, 2024, 03:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdmustang

Hello, is the black paint on the radiator (1968) the same as what would be used in the engine compartment?  From what I've seen, it looks like ii should have more gloss to it.  Am i wrong?  Thanks for any info... BD

Royce Peterson

It's a radiator paint applied with no primer. Radiator shops have it - it is a glossy black that is designed to promote heat transfer.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bdmustang on March 17, 2024, 03:04:18 PM
Hello, is the black paint on the radiator (1968) the same as what would be used in the engine compartment?  From what I've seen, it looks like ii should have more gloss to it.  Am i wrong?  Thanks for any info... BD
The radiators were glossy when they were first painted at the Modine factory but after a few heat cycles they toned down to what most refer to a semi gloss.  So I suppose it depends on what window in time you are looking at when discussing sheen. It can vary.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby