News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Windshield installation question.

Started by Peter L., March 20, 2024, 09:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

Getting ready to install the windshield in my KR. Can the molding clips be installed after, or do they have to go on before the glass is installed?
       Thanks, Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

KR500

Pete
The clips can be installed after the glass if you choose, but make sure all the studs that retain them are there before the glass goes in.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

greekz

Putting the clips in first gives you the option of checking proper seating and fitment.  Also, if one of the studs decides to break, you do not have to remove the windshield to repair.  I can be a nasty job if you have used sealant prior to installation.  Not to mention wasting a seal or windshield damage.  Just my two cents.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Peter L.

While we are on the topic, do I need any kind of lube on the seal prior to pulling the rope from around the outside? Dish soap or silicone spray or anything like that?
   Thanks, Pete.  :)
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Rbwiii

I would put the clips in first confirming they fit on the posts, sometimes exsesive paint build up will need to be be trimmed to fit them properly.
Original/NOS clips are the best. Windex is a good lubricant to use.

highland green

use a new gasket. i cant recall needing any lube, but if you do dish soap and water will work. me and a friend did mine.

greekz

Quote from: Peter L. on March 20, 2024, 04:56:35 PM
While we are on the topic, do I need any kind of lube on the seal prior to pulling the rope from around the outside? Dish soap or silicone spray or anything like that?
   Thanks, Pete.  :)

NPD sells an Automotive Bedding and Glazing Compound that will create a seal between the gasket and windshield frame.  Have not needed to use any lubricant as the new gasket seems to slip over the edge with no problem.  The only areas that may cause a problem are the corners.  Sometimes it is hard to get the gasket to go around them.  Also, usually, pull the rope around the inside, with a person gently hitting the windshield as the rope is pulled, helping it seat.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339