News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Such a blatant restamp distributor that I thought it was funny

Started by Bob Gaines, March 21, 2024, 10:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Seller implying that his Motorcraft restamped distributor is for a 69 Mustang. FYI The C7AF -AA engineering number is for a Fairlane application .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/335238612019   Restamped numbers and letters are so obvious it is laughable. You can see the partial truck part (TF) number under and between the new bogus stamp. It isn't a significant distributor in any sense but it made me laugh because it was so bad. I hope it made others smile or laugh too. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Brandon

Scode67FB

I wonder how he can explain why a "C7AF" distributor has a "5B24" date code.

Special Ed

That is most likely a reman (remanufactured) distributor sold thru service department in a reman box in 1975 probly fred jones or another reman business.  Nobody would restamp a common distributor like that just to resell and its old used covered with grease and crud. Restamps were done on rare valuable HP distributors in recent years .  The stamps on that distributor were done on a machine look at how straight lined up and spacing is perfect. The restamps (for resell  profit anyway) were hand stamped 1 # or letter at a time and not all the same depth and uniform spacing. That distributor was machined down around the ID stamped area  before restamping see how smooth it is not the normal cast look and the EA was crossed out with angled lines and  AA  restamped next to the old EA enginneering #. Nobody  hand restamps a common 70s motorcraft  2 V distributor that has little value for cars of no collector value.  The FOMOCO and AUTOLITE distributors get restamped for valuable collector cars. AER was another authorized ford remanufacturing company in texas and fred jones in oklahoma city OK that started back in the 40s or so.

TLea

Ed i've seen distributors like you're talking about where they look like they were re-stamped for resale from reman suppliers. Why do you think they rest stamped the date code on this one though? I agree it's probably a factory remanufacture.

Coralsnake

Could that be a 1975 date code? The date of remanufacture?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TLea

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 22, 2024, 09:38:52 AM
Could that be a 1975 date code? The date of remanufacture?
Might even be later (85/95) as original distributor was at least 73

pbf777

Quote from: Special Ed on March 22, 2024, 07:57:10 AM
That is most likely a remanufactured distributor sold thru service department in a reman box ........ probably Fred Jones or another reman business.  The stamps on that distributor were done on a machine look at how straight lined up and spacing is perfect.

+1   :)

Scott.

OldGuy

You can question the numbers, but you CAN NOT dispute the original dirt. It would be a shame to loose that!

Special Ed

originally a D3TF-EA   5A21 changed to C7AF-AA  5B24  one month later date and autolite distributors were gone in 71 so no more around and changed to motorcraft if done by ford  in 75 but if done by reman company it may have been  done in 85.  I have had many ford reman boxed parts over the years water pumps fuel pumps starters altenators carbs dist etc even reman voltage regulators.

Royce Peterson

I think Fred Jones went out of business around 1978 or so. That one looks like one of their products.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

68blk500c

Royce Peterson

I don't know about that. Fred Jones had their final auction in 1979. A friend bought a 53' trailer full of NOS 427 blocks and a few NOS engine assemblies and cylinder heads on a sealed bid basis. At the time (mid 1980's) I had swap meet spaces at the Pate Swap meet which was being held in the museum grounds at Cresson, Texas back then. Tractor trailers full of Fred Jones rebuilt parts were there for many years. I bought rebuilt alternators, water pumps, PS pumps etcetera for pennies on the dollar.

AER in Carrolton TX took over the rebuilding business for Fred Jones. Fred Jones passed away in 1971.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock