News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Need an idler arm- did all 66's have quick steering?

Started by cboss70, March 27, 2024, 10:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I was going to replace my late 66's idler arm. I see some sites have a standard arm assembly while others have the 66 Shelby arm as a quick steering arm. Did all 66's have the quick steering as delivered by Shelby? Just want to make sure I order the right part.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on March 27, 2024, 10:27:43 AM
I was going to replace my late 66's idler arm. I see some sites have a standard arm assembly while others have the 66 Shelby arm as a quick steering arm. Did all 66's have the quick steering as delivered by Shelby? Just want to make sure I order the right part.
65/66 Shelby's had the quick steering longer arm. Other year Shelby's and regular Mustangs did not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Just as a point of interest, I mention this.

On my '68 GT350, I bought a set of JBA long tube headers "theoretically" built for that year car.

When I installed them, the car could not turn left. As it turns out, the Pitman arm would hit the #5 tube and restrict it from the necessary distance necessary for it to move to turn the wheels left.

In discussing this with JBA, it seems that they built the headers on that chassis that used a different Pitman arm.

Now I did try to discuss this intelligently with the design tech, but some might argue that is a bridge too far for me, but the comment from JBA was that my car uses a "special" Pitman arm?

So that's what I know and the "Special Bus" just pulled up for me so I have to cut this short and run to catch it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 27, 2024, 12:50:49 PM
Just as a point of interest, I mention this.

On my '68 GT350, I bought a set of JBA long tube headers "theoretically" built for that year car.

When I installed them, the car could not turn left. As it turns out, the Pitman arm would hit the #5 tube and restrict it from the necessary distance necessary for it to move to turn the wheels left.

In discussing this with JBA, it seems that they built the headers on that chassis that used a different Pitman arm.

Now I did try to discuss this intelligently with the design tech, but some might argue that is a bridge too far for me, but the comment from JBA was that my car uses a "special" Pitman arm?

So that's what I know and the "Special Bus" just pulled up for me so I have to cut this short and run to catch it.
This is getting of track some but regardless of what JBA said your 68 GT350 pitman arm is the same as a regular 68 V8 Mustang equipped with P/S pitman arm. Now back to 66 related stuff  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

If I were you, I would make sure I had the 6-inch Idler arm and Pitman arm respectively before ordering any replacements.
Texas Swede

98SVT - was 06GT

I'm pretty sure that the original Shelby part is different than the repro. Same dimensions but different look. In the distant past I seem to remember a rebuild kit (service?) being offered for the original - pre repro availability. The arm on the steering box was also longer and the box used the same quicker ratio as the power steering box.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

s2ms

Quote from: cboss70 on March 27, 2024, 10:27:43 AMI was going to replace my late 66's idler arm. I see some sites have a standard arm assembly while others have the 66 Shelby arm as a quick steering arm. Did all 66's have the quick steering as delivered by Shelby? Just want to make sure I order the right part.

Is your arm original? You might only need a new bushing.

Factory OE arms have unique markings, some good discussion and photos here:

https://www.saac.com/forum/index.php?topic=19230
Dave - 6S1757