Author Topic: 1968 Mercury Cougar GT-E XR-7 427 Side Oiler eBay  (Read 10341 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Mercury Cougar GT-E XR-7 427 Side Oiler eBay
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 07:38:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the W engine code 427 really is just a 390 GT with a 427 hydraulic lifter block so it uses the 390 GT exhaust manifolds.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »
FWIW, here is GT-E Registrar Jim Pinkerton's post from a similar thread that appeared on the long lost forum -

I am new to your forum, having heard about the discussion of Cougar GT-E 427 engines from a fellow cougar-o-phile.  I am the Cougar GT-E Registrar.  When I started the Registry nearly 18 years ago, there were only 58 GT-Es accounted for.  At that time Kevin Marti didn’t even have the production database, and so there were lots of numbers out there in the press that were totally wrong.  I have a subcontract with Ford through Kevin Marti and I have all of the information on all of the GT-Es produced.  By the by, there were 394 made, 357 of them with the 427 engine and only 37 with the 428 CJ.  I’ve accounted for 260 of them to date.  From what I’ve seen in the discussion so far there is some concern about the date codes on early Cougar 427 engines (and perhaps other concerns), although I’m not clear on exactly what the question(s) is/are.  We all want documentation to show the history of rare cars; but alas some of the documentation out there, if we include sales brochures and articles in magazines of the day, are notoriously inaccurate (for a whole variety of reasons).  That said,  once I know specifically what the questions are, we can discuss what evidence you (or anyone else for that matter) might accept, to show what was produced, when, etc.  And while I’m more than willing to exchange information in an open forum like this, I know too that some folks may prefer a more restricted venue, in which case I welcome any and all communications concerning GT-Es through my regular email address  pinktwo at att.net

I know some folks have raised the issue of engine date codes for GT-Es.  Since that first run of engines was cast date coded in July, 1967 the question seems to be why did the regular production GT-Es (not the 10 early pre-regular production prototypes, factory mules, whatever you want to call them) not start until Jan 1, 1968.  Well the truth is that I don’t know for sure, at least in terms of some F-L-M document that explains it.  Speculation includes the fact that FIA papers were filed and approved for the 427 engine for racing purposes, and that paperwork “required” a run of 500 units. Once that approval was granted, production could begin.  It makes some logical sense (and that is why it might be correct - Smiley -- that L-M wouldn’t want to produce regular production cars until that time (having tested the car in terms of marketing through model-year introduction shows etc.

Let me try to answer the questions you’ve posed.  You ask about the date of approval for the homologation papers -- I presume by that you mean the FIA papers I mentioned in my post above?  If so, then I “think” the date stamp says August 24th, 1968.  I say I “think” because the copy of the document that I have is like alot of machine copies, hard to read, especially inked date stamps (all 15 pages).  I’ve put a call into a guy who may have a better copy, so perhaps clarification coming.  These papers, now that I look at them again, specify 1000 units (not the 500 that I thought I recalled -- sorry about that).  The papers say they were started on August 23rd, 1967.  Certainly only 357, 427 units were produced.  We know that someone at L-M pulled the plug on racing in that division, but I don’t know who, or exactly when.  From what I’ve seen, the July, 1967 date casted engines were definitely available for the 10 preproduction prototypes (12) with 04G production dates, and nearly all of the units produced in January and February of ‘68 (220)had them.  As to who was in charge of the GT-E program (if in fact it were a separate program) I do not know, but certainly wish I did.  I’ve never seen an official document on the program; only the odd aside mentioned. Hope this helps.

There were only 4, 427 GT-Es produced in June.  All the rest were between late February (approx. 23rd) and the end of May.  Of the original engines that I am aware of most, if not all, were Dec 1967 date coded engines. A typical C6 trans tag for a GT-E would be: Line 1 - PGB W; Line 2 - C1 1408.  I don’t know how this compares to other car lines.  The servo was either an R or a D, and it had the aluminum tailshaft, unlike the later 428 CJ equipped GT-Es which had the cast iron tailshaft. Oh, and should I mention the heads.  Originally 6090-J, and then about February 15th they ran out of those and switched to the new CJ head, 6090-N, but with only 14 exhaust bolt holes (for the 390 GT exhaust manifolds, as you mentioned).  By the by, the FIA paper ink stamps are illegible, but the document itself says “Recognition valid from 1st Jan. 1968.”
Jim
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
For those interested, some more information here:

https://gte.mercurycougarregistry.com/performance-features/

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA