News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Little Red

Started by Coralsnake, August 17, 2018, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Quote from: owenkelley on August 23, 2018, 09:46:24 AM
Could somebody post a link to the Little Red Facebook page? I searched but couldn't find it. Just brought up a bunch of articles about the car itself.

https://www.facebook.com/ShelbyPrototypeCoupes/

Coralsnake

There are a couple pictures on the FB page that are not vintage pictures
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

roddster

Speaking for many of the early 67's (sub #200)  I like to see the car restored in the Late November/Early December configuration.  Meaning slanted grill, GT 500 on the fenders, Dual quad 428 etc.  Next would be the L.A. auto show configuration with the Paxton on the 428.  Either way, my name isn't on the title so it is going to get done the way the new owner wants it done.
  Couple of things:  OK, it has been 50+ years.  The rear seats could have gotten changed but they are not "connolly leather custom upholstery".  Can't tell in the photos about the "Moulton carpeting".  The car never had a roll bar, but those 4 holes in the floor must be from traction bars.  It the tail light panel, seems they left the 67 cutouts in and fitted the 68 tail light panel over it.  And, according to Paul Hewitt, there was a 68 Console installed (Aug 1967) so that is why the 67 under the dash gauges are not there.

Coralsnake

I respect what Paul Newitt has research, but I suspect the 1968 console was installed later.

Where are the LA Auto Show pictures? I will give a $100 if someone comes up with them.

I am also not so sure they didnt try a roll bar. There appear to be holes in the headliner.

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 23, 2018, 12:14:07 PM
I respect what Paul Newitt has research, but I suspect the 1968 console was installed later.

Where are the LA Auto Show pictures? I will give a $100 if someone comes up with them.

I am also not so sure they didnt try a roll bar. There appear to be holes in the headliner.

Pete,
There are some issues with the notes from Paul's research. (I'm certainly grateful for all of those efforts)
The Riverside press review has been noted as July 7, 1967, not in August.

LA Auto Show pictures as the most elusive of all the major shows. We can find pictures from Detroit, Chicago, and NY, but almost nothing from LA.
Even a glimpse of the car in the background would be an amazing find and helpful.

The request for LA Auto Show (Pan Pacific) pictures should be noted on the "ShelbyPrototypeCoupes" website and on their Facebook page!
I believe the dates are from Oct 27 – Nov 6 in 1966.   

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: Richstang on August 23, 2018, 12:38:15 PM

Pete,
There are some issues with the notes from Paul's research. (I'm certainly grateful for all of those efforts)

LA Auto Show pictures as the most elusive of all the major shows. We can find pictures from Detroit, Chicago, and NY, but almost nothing from LA.
Even a glimpse of the car in the background would be an amazing find and helpful.

The request for LA Auto Show (Pan Pacific) pictures should be noted on the "ShelbyPrototypeCoupes" website and on their Facebook page!

Hello Rich,

I am late to this game and confused about something.  Little Red could not be at the LA Auto Show during the dates you listed.  The car was not built at Ford until November 8, 1966.  Did you mean to say 1967?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Eric

Richstang

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on August 23, 2018, 12:55:50 PM

Pete,

Hello Rich,

I am late to this game and confused about something.  Little Red could not be at the LA Auto Show during the dates you listed.  The car was not built at Ford until November 8, 1966.  Did you mean to say 1967?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

You're not confused, you're observant!

Little Red is noted as completed by SA on December 7th, 1966. If the LA Auto Show was in Nov '66 LA it couldn't have been there. The Paul Newitt article in the registry states it was shown on Jan 3rd 1967 at the LA auto show. I've read there was a sporting event that Little Red also made an appearance at. Maybe its the January date noted or I my Nov date info is wrong.

Richstang

Quote from: Richstang on August 23, 2018, 01:39:27 PM
Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on August 23, 2018, 12:55:50 PM

Pete,

Hello Rich,

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

You're not confused, you're observant!

Little Red is noted as completed by SA on December 7th, 1966. If the LA Auto Show was in Nov '66 LA it couldn't have been there. The Paul Newitt article in the registry states it was shown on Jan 3rd 1967 at the LA auto show. I've read there was a sporting event that Little Red also made an appearance at. Maybe its the January date noted or I my Nov date info is wrong.

It seems my dates are correct for the LA Auto Show starting in October '66. Here's a link to a photo of the '67 Mustang convertible on display Oct 29, 1966.
https://calisphere.org/item/adea7e3dad577fb395f587dc060b8153/

Also I don't believe we will find any MLB or NFL games in Jan 1966. Maybe NBA or another sport.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on August 23, 2018, 11:54:16 AM
  Speaking for many of the early 67's (sub #200)  I like to see the car restored in the Late November/Early December configuration.  Meaning slanted grill, GT 500 on the fenders, Dual quad 428 etc.  Next would be the L.A. auto show configuration with the Paxton on the 428.  Either way, my name isn't on the title so it is going to get done the way the new owner wants it done.
  Couple of things:  OK, it has been 50+ years.  The rear seats could have gotten changed but they are not "connolly leather custom upholstery".  Can't tell in the photos about the "Moulton carpeting".  The car never had a roll bar, but those 4 holes in the floor must be from traction bars. It the tail light panel, seems they left the 67 cutouts in and fitted the 68 tail light panel over it.  And, according to Paul Hewitt, there was a 68 Console installed (Aug 1967) so that is why the 67 under the dash gauges are not there.
I don't know what the holes are for however I high confidence that they are not for traction bars. Traction bras would not be attached to a thin sheet metal floor pan . The thin metal would rip the first time it launched anything approaching hard. That is why traction bars are typically attached to frame rails.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Maybe it was a sponsored event like a gymkhana?

Coralsnake

Comparison of Little Red emblem (left) to OEM dash emblem (1968 Shelby) right

68blk500c

The car's existing dash emblem should be studied closely to validate originality, simply because of the resemblance to some generations of reproductions. 

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 23, 2018, 02:02:02 PM
Maybe it was a sponsored event like a gymkhana?

I checked Kranky's various list on the different Cobra raced events and nothing appeared on that date.

Regarding the Sporting venues; The MLB season was over and the NFL season ended in December 1966.
The NBA season was around the halfway mark. Need to check the Lakers history....
I don't think soccer was a thing in the US back then, and the NHL in LA...not likely!

Coralsnake

Don is correct, looks like the current reproduction, but I suspect its a special piece

Coralsnake

Compare the black shape behind the GT500 lettering