News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Little Red

Started by Coralsnake, August 17, 2018, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 23, 2018, 02:01:59 PM
Quote from: roddster on August 23, 2018, 11:54:16 AM
  Speaking for many of the early 67's (sub #200)  I like to see the car restored in the Late November/Early December configuration.  Meaning slanted grill, GT 500 on the fenders, Dual quad 428 etc.  Next would be the L.A. auto show configuration with the Paxton on the 428.  Either way, my name isn't on the title so it is going to get done the way the new owner wants it done.
  Couple of things:  OK, it has been 50+ years.  The rear seats could have gotten changed but they are not "connolly leather custom upholstery".  Can't tell in the photos about the "Moulton carpeting".  The car never had a roll bar, but those 4 holes in the floor must be from traction bars. It the tail light panel, seems they left the 67 cutouts in and fitted the 68 tail light panel over it.  And, according to Paul Hewitt, there was a 68 Console installed (Aug 1967) so that is why the 67 under the dash gauges are not there.
I don't know what the holes are for however I high confidence that they are not for traction bars. Traction bras would not be attached to a thin sheet metal floor pan . The thin metal would rip the first time it launched anything approaching hard. That is why traction bars are typically attached to frame rails.

so what is the purpose of these holes?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Quote from: 68blk500c on August 23, 2018, 08:19:23 PM
The car's existing dash emblem should be studied closely to validate originality, simply because of the resemblance to some generations of reproductions.

they made repro emblems back in the day?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

Thats the current reproduction made by Scott Drake (reply 166)

It resembles the original prototype emblem, but does not look like the regular production emblems.
( shown in reply 161)

I know its shocking! The reproduction is wrong.....

I think the Little Red emblem looks thicker too

I have run across another engineering car with a one-off emblem
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

68blk500c

Interesting observations, Pete, on that emblem.  The mounting hole pattern behind it may tell something?

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 24, 2018, 09:17:09 AM
Thats the current reproduction made by Scott Drake (reply 166)

It resembles the original prototype emblem, but does not look like the regular production emblems.
( shown in reply 161)

I know its shocking! The reproduction is wrong.....

I think the Little Red emblem looks thicker too

I have run across another engineering car with a one-off emblem

Would be nice to have all three for a side by side comparison.
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

Just look at the black shape behind the GT500. The distance from "G" to the bottom, left corner of the black space is way different
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

6972boss

Looks like the snake on the reproduction is embossed while little reds is protruding off the emblem. Shapes are slightly different too.

67350#1242

Quoteso what is the purpose of these holes?

Rebound bumpers?
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67350#1242 on August 24, 2018, 08:21:22 PM
Quoteso what is the purpose of these holes?

Rebound bumpers?
The holes are not in a area in line with the leaf springs  which they would have to be for a rebound bumper premise to be logical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on August 24, 2018, 08:56:44 AM

They are positioned and the pattern matches (without measuring) the bolt in roll bars of the period both aftermarket and one Shelby version

Of course we don't know for certain at this point
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

alexgt350h

Speculation buy experts @ the Woodward Dream Cruise was , the holes were for a roll bar.
Brent A

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 24, 2018, 08:27:44 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on August 24, 2018, 08:56:44 AM

They are positioned and the pattern matches (without measuring) the bolt in roll bars of the period both aftermarket and one Shelby version

Of course we don't know for certain at this point
We can surmise if in fact is was for a roll bar that It would be a purely cosmetic non functional roll bar given the thin floor sheet metal the holes are in would flex and give way long before any stress even approaching that during a roll over happened.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 24, 2018, 08:42:48 PM
We can surmise if in fact is was for a roll bar that It would be a purely cosmetic non functional roll bar given the thin floor sheet metal the holes are in would flex and give way long before any stress even approaching that during a roll over happened.

Not sure that that assumption can be made since that was one of the attachment locations (with a plate on the underside of the floor) that Shelby installed on at least some of the 66 Trans-Am race cars and it carried a Shelby part number. The floor attachment was likely due to the class requirements and the retention of the factory rear seat and lower cushion.

But for Little Red we can't say at the moment those designers intent or purpose for possibly installing one
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 24, 2018, 09:25:07 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 24, 2018, 08:42:48 PM

Not sure that that assumption can be made since that was one of the attachment locations (with a plate on the underside of the floor) that Shelby installed on at least some of the 66 Trans-Am race cars and it carried a Shelby part number. The floor attachment was likely due to the class requirements and the retention of the factory rear seat and lower cushion.

But for Little Red we can't say at the moment those designers intent or purpose for possibly installing one
Jeff, the 66 TA roll bar is different then the 67/68 TA roll bar. The roll bar may have had a attachment point on the floor plated on the other side however in the case of the 67 68  the floor attachment point was next to the frame rail where it was attached also.  Beside the floor pan and frame rail attachment points the 67 68 bars also ran at a 45% angle bar that came off of the main hoop and angle to the frame rail next to the wheel house. I have changed my opinion on the holes for a roll bar because on closer inspection of my 68 TA Shelby team car I found that it has the same 4 holes in the floor pan.  With that said and with no sign of any of those extra necessary for rigidity attachment points on ether the coupe or the convert it can be surmised ;) that the roll bar in those cases would be a purely cosmetic non functional roll bar.