News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Little Red

Started by Coralsnake, August 17, 2018, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Mustang Monthly ran a video of tonight's announcement on their Facebook page.   If you have Facebook you can watch it here.  (I assume you have to log in)

https://www.facebook.com/mustangmonthlymag/videos/1146946088777689/UzpfSTIwODE3MTAxNTkwOTMxNzoxOTI0MzE3NTgwOTYxMzEw/?multi_permalinks=1924317580961310&notif_id=1534562957885023&notif_t=group_activity

427heaven

We have known of these about 5 years now, so now we love barn find- ahhh errr field find cars again? Finding a forlorn classic NEVER gets old! ;)

J_Speegle

Quote from: Richstang on August 17, 2018, 11:28:58 PM
I believe it was delivered to SA as a new car. It has it's own DSO number.
Built at San Jose 11/8/66 - SA completion 12/7/66

Not sure what that means??
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

SA ordered one package version of each car on a single DSO from the start.
400F
410F
411F engineering #0100 fastback
411H engineering #0131 coupe
411C engineering #0139 convertible
201F
210F
211F
200F cars were first ordered in a 100 car DSO order.

Why would any of these be used cars with such a short time between the SJ build date and their SA completion dates?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

J_Speegle

Quote from: Richstang on August 18, 2018, 12:15:48 AM
Why would any of these be used cars with such a short time between the SJ build date and their SA completion dates?

First wasn't aware of the time span. The other option would have been a regular retail purchase from a local dealer inventory. But the why is easy - To obtain a car quicker. Have been many discussions of this in the past - if you don't ask then you don't find out ;)

Numbers shown in your post must be from a different number or ordering system than Ford's - the reason I didn't recognize them as DSO - Special orders
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Red67co

Being a fan of Lil Red I'm happy to see it is still around . Hope to get the chance someday to see it in person.

Coralsnake

With regards to Courtesy Ford...it seems an unusually high number of engineering vehicles found their way to Colorado to be sold....I am not up to speed if #100 was there?

68#41
68#101

And now 67 #131 are all known to have been sent there. Its kind of remarkable no one ever checked to see if #131 was sold, they just assumed it was crushed. The info was in the Ford records...

Courtesy must have had someone who agreed to take these cars as used and resell them. Someone should start reviewing their advertising....there could be a nugget there
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

Very cool. I'm very happy that it has survived. I can't wait to see it done and in person. I'm glad I don't have to decide of a time period to which it will be restored. Too much angst involved in that for me.

I kind of like the '67 look.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

A miracle for sure - never thought I'd see the day that Little Red was found.

Awesome doesn't even describe it....

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

SHELB66

A picture from one of the posted links shows there is a factory '68 AM/FM radio installed!  How cool is that!  It could probably use one of my cosmetic/mechanical "spruce ups" at the very least.  This car is such an interesting find.  Who knows how many different ways this vehicle was outfitted in its day.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Richstang

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 18, 2018, 12:26:58 AM
Quote from: Richstang on August 18, 2018, 12:15:48 AM

First wasn't aware of the time span. The other option would have been a regular retail purchase from a local dealer inventory. But the why is easy - To obtain a car quicker. Have been many discussions of this in the past - if you don't ask then you don't find out ;)

Numbers shown in your post must be from a different number or ordering system than Ford's - the reason I didn't recognize them as DSO - Special orders

Thanks Jeff,
I could see how your "easy" explanation could happen for time savings, but...
Are you aware of Shelby American ever using a used car for development, besides 67 #0463 and 67 #0139 for '68 styling use?

In the case of the first three '67 GT500 engineering prototypes, these were the first 428 engines installed in a (base unit) Mustang, at San Jose.
(I think this was confirmed by Dave Mathews per Shelby American records). I've heard the old way of thinking was they were 390 cars and SA swapped out engines. I could see how that would fit in your used car scenario to get the ball rolling, since it was already November '66.

The numbers in my post are only the packages orders. No DSO numbers or VIN units numbers. Here's a more detailed list of each of them if it helps.
For the most part we see about a month between the SJ build to the SA completion dates.

Richstang

Quote from: SHELB66 on August 18, 2018, 09:53:57 AM
A picture from one of the posted links shows there is a factory '68 AM/FM radio installed!  How cool is that!  It could probably use one of my cosmetic/mechanical "spruce ups" at the very least.  This car is such an interesting find.  Who knows how many different ways this vehicle was outfitted in its day.

Craig R.

My thought is it was in three versions.

1) Completely in '67 dress when completed in early Dec '66; Slanted inboard grille, Magstars, red painted taillight panel, and a roll bar
2) Partial '67/'68 dress from Riverside July '67 vintage photos; Outboard straight grille, chrome grille surround trim, 10-spokes, silver tail panel, no roll bar
3) Complete '68 dress as found in current conditon.

427heaven

Are those wheels motor wheel (fly's) on it in found condition.?

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 17, 2018, 10:33:06 PM
Pretty sure those wheels were on the car when it was sold by Courtesy Ford in Colorado...

The one wheel pic looks like 'MOTOR WHEELS' and 'SPYDER' markings in the center.  Until I enlarged the image, thought it was 'Motorcraft'.  ;D
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge