News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Little Red

Started by Coralsnake, August 17, 2018, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Quote from: caspian65 on August 18, 2018, 10:35:39 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on August 17, 2018, 10:33:06 PM
Pretty sure those wheels were on the car when it was sold by Courtesy Ford in Colorado...

The one wheel pic looks like 'MOTOR WHEELS' and 'SPYDER' markings in the center.  Until I enlarged the image, thought it was 'Motorcraft'.  ;D

I had a set of those wheels on a car in the early '70's. Yes, Motor Wheel Spyder sound familiar
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

propayne

Popular with drag racers like Ed Schartman.

I tend to think of them as '69 & '70 vintage.

Wonder if they were introduced in '68?

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Richstang

I only see the "EXP" letters in this side view. I don't see the "GT500" in front of it, just what appears to be the continued inner stripe.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Coralsnake

Got a good look at the car today at Woodward. The car is very cool....

Handwritten chalk markings left on the aprons say "SHELBY"

Craig started a website:

www.shelbyprototypecoupes.com
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

CharlesTurner

Any idea to what configuration it will be restored?  I'm seeing pics with a '67 front end and also with a '68??  Early pics show 10 spokes also?

Cool find, looking forward to following the restoration progress.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

I dont think thats been determined, but after talking with Mr Jackson, I would say he wants to like the most iconic, representative version.

He is very open to suggestions and actively searching for stories, photos and history on the car.

Coralsnake

I know of another Courtesy Ford card that had those wheels, it was a 1968 KR.

shelbydoug

Quote from: caspian65 on August 18, 2018, 02:51:39 PM
Any idea to what configuration it will be restored?  I'm seeing pics with a '67 front end and also with a '68??  Early pics show 10 spokes also?

Cool find, looking forward to following the restoration progress.

One of the old photographer's tricks was to have one set of wheels on one side of the car vs. the other?

I suppose Lil' Red was really always an 'engineering car'? It's really a dilemma (I went to HS with him, Pete Dilemma), like the '67 'vert. No matter how you dress it, you will take criticism?

There are more pics of Lil' Red right? More freezes in time to pic from.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

It was always an engineering car.

It was also purposely built for Shelby.

When the engineers were done it went to Courtesy Ford in Colorado.

I have seen a few other (original owner) pictures, but they do not reveal any details

There a few period press photos

propayne

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 18, 2018, 02:59:29 PM

If I'm understanding correctly, Little Red was assigned a Shelby VIN while the Green Hornet was not?

Also regarding the Spyder wheels and their association with drag racing - Brian Styles mentioned to me how Little Red's passenger quarter has a nice wrinkle that's been there since the oldest known time pictures. That wrinkle and it's location is a common side-effect of hard-launching these cars.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

corbins

Quote from: propayne on August 18, 2018, 08:57:26 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on August 18, 2018, 02:59:29 PM

If I'm understanding correctly, Little Red was assigned a Shelby VIN while the Green Hornet was not?

Also regarding the Spyder wheels and their association with drag racing - Brian Styles mentioned to me how Little Red's passenger quarter has a nice wrinkle that's been there since the oldest known time pictures. That wrinkle and it's location is a common side-effect of hard-launching these cars.

+1 .saw many buckled quarters in the late 60s early 70s on Fords at the strip

- Phillip

Coralsnake

Thats correct, Little Red was assigned a number. It appears to me no tag was ever mounted to the apron.

The Green Hornet was not assigned a Shelby number

68stangcjfb

He found the car through a VIN search? Amazing! I don't know why Kevin Marti doesn't do the same thing. He has all the VIN #s to every significant Ford product from 67 on. And whoever from the SAAC who told the last owner that little red was crushed instead of following up on that lead must be kicking himself in the A@& right now! I know I would be!
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on August 18, 2018, 11:10:17 PM
He found the car through a VIN search? Amazing! I don't know why Kevin Marti doesn't do the same thing. He has all the VIN #s to every significant Ford product from 67 on. And whoever from the SAAC who told the last owner that little red was crushed instead of following up on that lead must be kicking himself in the A@& right now! I know I would be!
The crushed story has been around for at least 30 years .At least that was the first time I heard tell of what happened to it. It may have started with a Ford employee and not someone at SAAC.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

There a lot of reasons that story might have been perpetuated.

I dont want to know the details of how the car was tracked, but it is my personal understanding you need special privledges or be willing to pay someone for the service.

I am sure if it were easy or cheap, a lot more people would do it.