News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Little Red

Started by Coralsnake, August 17, 2018, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68stangcjfb

I hope he decides to restore it as a '67. It makes the most sense as The Green Hornet is a '68.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 20, 2018, 04:31:52 PM
Yes, the picture was taken during the introduction of the 1967 models.

Remember engineering cars stayed at the factory for longer periods of time than regular production cars.

The car was later "updated" to 1968 specifications...with all new fiberglass, interior and emblems.

Hey Pete, don't you mean the July '67 introduction of the '68 models?

I understand only 2 sets of '68 prototype molds were made. One set was used on the '67 Convertible GT500 #0139 and the other set used on the '67 Fastback GT500 #0463 (the A/C car that tested along the #0544 SuperSnake). That was the reason that Little Red was only updated with look-a-like pieces to resemble a '68 while still having all the base '67 Shelby parts on it. I don't think there's ever been any late '67 or early '68 pictures of Little Red in full '68 fiberglass...is there? 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on August 20, 2018, 05:02:10 PM
I hope he decides to restore it as a '67. It makes the most sense as The Green Hornet is a '68.

+1
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Quote from: JD on August 20, 2018, 08:19:58 PM
Quote from: 68stangcjfb on August 20, 2018, 05:02:10 PM

+1

+2

Coralsnake

Okay, here we go...the Coralsnake update.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/EXP
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 20, 2018, 08:34:20 PM
Okay, here we go...the Coralsnake update.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/EXP

To me, there is cool, then there is something distantly beyond it. In this case, one is red and the other green.

Nice job Pete.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Why thank you Doug. That means a lot to me coming from a knowledgable person like yourself.

I shall try catch the typos in coming days.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 20, 2018, 08:55:06 PM
Why thank you Doug. That means a lot to me coming from a knowledgable person like yourself.

I shall try catch the typos in coming days.

I normally woodn't notice them nyself?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

When you first started you compliment, I thought your were referring to me. LOL

Then you had to add the red and green part....

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 20, 2018, 09:00:33 PM
When you first started you compliment, I thought you were referring to me. LOL

Then you had to add the red and green part....

Well if the shoe fits, color fits, wear it? You'd look good in red.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Thanks to Pete's "Coralsnake" update we've been told and shown that the vinyl top was not a Ford factory applied vinyl top, but rather a sprayed on application to look like one. http://www.thecoralsnake.com/EXP
You know where this is going!!!

Was LITTLE RED originally built without a vinyl top?

If it's not factory applied it very well could have been delivered to LAX fully painted in red with no vinyl top. It was completed by San Jose November 8th, 1966. Does the Marti report list the vinyl top as an option? We've already read that it had Magstars as first built, NOT 10-spokes. I assume that is written as "Deluxe wheels" on the SA purchase order.

The SA completion date is noted as December 7th 1966. That would mean it had a slanted grille with inboards when completed, NOT the vertical outboard light grille shown at the July 7th, 1966 Riverside LLTC invitation, 7 months later. That's a lot of time to think about how to make it appear different for the '68 model unveiling.

Something else to think about is the Shelby De Mexico model. All those early '67 Coupe photos show them with painted roofs, no vinyl tops. Perhaps that follows Little Red's lead without a vinyl top.

I'm sure this will be controversial too many, but you have to admit it is a real strong possibility!

Rich

Mikelj5S230

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 20, 2018, 08:52:14 PM

To me, there is cool, then there is something distantly beyond it. In this case, one is red and the other green.

It is cool, and that is the question you get asked at New Mexican food restaurants around here: 
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-new-mexico-chiles-20171126-story.html
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Richstang on August 21, 2018, 11:55:42 AM

If it's not factory applied it very well could have been delivered to LAX fully painted in red with no vinyl top. It was completed by San Jose November 8th, 1966. Does the Marti report list the vinyl top as an option? We've already read that it had Magstars as first built, NOT 10-spokes. I assume that is written as "Deluxe wheels" on the SA purchase order.

But it really makes no difference how the car was delivered to SA but how the car was built by Shelby and designers could have (which apparently they did) wanted a vinyl top and they got one the easy way. These were somewhat popular for a short period of time and know a number of people that went that route here in Calif including one of the cars my dad built

Of course this type of cars often go through a number of configurations changing this or that - one of the challenges of restoring them and having to choose a single point in time, with supporting documentation, as the end goal for that restoration
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 21, 2018, 02:11:54 PM
Quote from: Richstang on August 21, 2018, 11:55:42 AM

But it really makes no difference how the car was delivered to SA but how the car was built by Shelby and designers could have (which apparently they did) wanted a vinyl top and they got one the easy way. These were somewhat popular for a short period of time and know a number of people that went that route here in Calif including one of the cars my dad built

Of course this type of cars often go through a number of configurations changing this or that - one of the challenges of restoring them and having to choose a single point in time, with supporting documentation, as the end goal for that restoration

Certainly the most important detail is how SA built the car initially.

My speculation wonders if it was built in full tilt '67 appearance back in Dec '66 without the vinyl top. If it was ordered by SA that way in the paperwork, on the DSO, that would be a good indicator of the intended direction of the initial build.

7 months later, the July '67 version (only version seen to date in vintage pictures) might be when the vinyl top was added to help with the visual impact of the '68 styling introduction.

billups67

You guys know how hard its been not talking about this since March? I have had to call Pete several times and threaten to have Fuller shoot a missile at him if he didn't hush. Glad its finally out so I can relax, well at least relax about trying to keep it quiet. Now we have to start the work part. The response has been great so far. Over 400K likes on the Facebook page and we've already received 5 new photos. The media and PR team from Barrett Jackson has done an amazing job. I will share with Pete and he can post as soon as I get the ok from Scottsdale. Going to be a fun journey bringing these 2 special coupes back to life.