Author Topic: 66 350 ignition? question  (Read 6304 times)

tblackgt350

• View Profile
66 350 ignition? question
« on: August 18, 2018, 07:45:57 PM »
 I recently had my 66 350 dual point rebuilt by Nelson industries in Charlotte because the pin that holds the drive gear in place broke; when the distributor was reinstalled and timing set to 38 degrees total advance the car ran better than ever, but would cut out at 5000 RPM. No big deal, I thought as the rebuild included installing a new Pertronix 3 which is supposed to have a rev limit set at 5500 RPM from the factory. I just figured mine was set to 5000 instead; this is easily changed, so I did. I backed out of the garage, shut the car down, and adjusted the rev limiter to 6000. Now, when I start the car, it immediately dies; start right up, then quit, over and over. I can't get it to run no matter what I do. I took it to a shop that thought the ignition switch was bad and replaced it. This, of course was no help, and maybe a little worse as the last time I tried to start, the car backfired through the #1 carb. (the car has webers).
 Thanks

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 66 350 ignition? question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
Sounds like you have a connection issue or the module moved.  I would go back through it like it was just being installed and see what happens.  Its not pulsing the module correctly.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
A couple of things may have occurred, the module moved . The distance is roughly the thickness of a credit card, try that first and if your coil was the old coil for points you need the new improved coil to run with the electronic ignition. It will fail sooner than later been down that road a couple of times. :-\

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 11:06:23 PM »
Are you using the Petronix coil with the P-3 system? And spiral (not solid core) plug wires?

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
Using the correct points will restore your ignition to having a reliable redline of 6,500+ rpm.

I've used every type of Pertronix product, and found the quality control to be hit and miss.

When you've spent some time on a dark 2 lane road removing  a crapped out Pertonix from a distributor by the light of a match, you will learn to appreciate the simplicity of the stock ignition.

Z

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
I miss black and white console TV's too

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
I miss black and white console TV's too

you do realize this is forum is based on a fine appreciation of 50 year old style & technology  ?

;)   ;)    ;)

Z

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
I have know what a typical day 2 mod would be so would a Pertronix be like a day 18,628 mod? ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
Using the correct points will restore your ignition to having a reliable redline of 6,500+ rpm.

I've used every type of Pertronix product, and found the quality control to be hit and miss.

When you've spent some time on a dark 2 lane road removing  a crapped out Pertonix from a distributor by the light of a match, you will learn to appreciate the simplicity of the stock ignition.

Z

+1!! Sometime the cost of perceived "improvement" extends beyond monetary. The original dual point system (equipped with the "proper" points/condenser) worked great! OK, you have to change points once in a while. It isn't that difficult to do for most folks. Ford could have put the distributer in the back of the engine.

Frank

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
I have know what a typical day 2 mod would be so would a Pertronix be like a day 18,628 mod? ;)
Of course this is meant jokingly. If a owner wants to experiment with modifications that he thinks will make his car experience better then it is his car to do with as he chooses.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »
I installed the Pertronix 2 version on both my cars with no issues 9+ years. Knock on wood.

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 09:56:27 PM »
Have been running a pertronix and MSD over 35 years, no issues. I really hate setting points.

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 10:09:57 PM »

I installed the Pertronix 2 version on both my cars with no issues 9+ years. Knock on wood.

Have been running a pertronix and MSD over 35 years, no issues. I really hate setting points.

Been running points ignition for 52+ years, no issues. I really hate progress.

Z

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 11:53:22 PM »

Been running points ignition for 52+ years, no issues. I really hate progress.

Z

LOL!!!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 05:29:27 AM »
Food for thought: Pertronix II and III will NOT run properly on vehicles without a constant 12V ignition source and actually causes the early failure.  My Shelby, being a factory tach car even created another issue. There are two ways to go about running the 12V constant (bypass of the pink resistor wire)
I simply spliced into lead into before the tach and running it out directly to the red lead from the Pertronix module. It's relatively easy to hide on FE powered cars.
I don't miss playing with dual points, no matter what Zray says, points are problematic, especially with the poor quality Chinese made products. They just don't hold up.
I am running a Pertronix II, and have not had a single issue with it. Set it and drive.
I only have 130 miles on the car, but the Pertronix is 14 years old and has been in the rebuilt re-curved distributor all along.

-Keith