Author Topic: More evidence of the end...  (Read 3289 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
More evidence of the end...
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
I have long held the position that it was AOSmiths decision to cancel their involvement in the Shelby program. Ford decided not to continue on their own. Carroll Shelby had very little input based on what I have seen.

I recently had the pleasure of reading a memo dated Feb 68 from Ford to AOSmith. The three page memo revolves around money that has not been paid. This memo is more than six months after the Shelby program started in Ionia. Ford had still not paid over $486,000 to Smith for initial tooling charges. Thats over 3.5 million dollars in todays money.

Its no wonder Smith told Ford and ultimately Shelby to take a hike. Not very many companies are going to work for free, even if its for Ford. Thats just one of many unpaid billings, I am sure.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:27:39 AM by Coralsnake »

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
Re: More evidence of the end...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
Shelby still owes the late Jack Engle money for racing cams

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
They should have put a lien on some of the finished cars and not delivered them.  I think in time that they might have made up the loss. 8)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Shelby still owes the late Jack Engle money for racing cams
You mean, The "Late" Shelby still owes the late Jack Engle money for racing cams, right?  :o

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 02:57:11 PM »
  I'm not sure many realize the reason Ford "took over"  Shelby production in the first place. The five year multi million "loan" became due and SAI was "absorbed in lieu of payment" according to a document I saw years ago. "Other people's money" is the only way SAI happened. Still happens everyday in professional racing. The expenses never equal the purse IF you win EVERY race.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
  I'm not sure many realize the reason Ford "took over"  Shelby production in the first place. The five year multi million "loan" became due and SAI was "absorbed in lieu of payment" according to a document I saw years ago. "Other people's money" is the only way SAI happened. Still happens everyday in professional racing. The expenses never equal the purse IF you win EVERY race.
They took over much more than production at the end of 1967. Ford got everything including real and intellectual property, trademarks - COBRA, GT350, GT500, etc. Shelby Racing was created to continue but Shelby American the car manufacturing company ceased operation for all intents and purposes. CS forgot the initial details of his Ford deal when he sued them for bringing out a GT350 in 1984.

When the Mustang turned 20 in 1984 Ford rolled out 5,260 Oxford White special editions. It was a GT with a twist, they called it GT350.

Available in either hatchback or convertible, all cars came with Canyon Red sports interior plus the optional sport buckets inside. Outside they wore special 20th anniversary Tri-bars, a rocker stripe that matched the interior and the TRX wheel pack.

Ford offered shoppers the choice of three motors, a carbureted 5.0 (paired with the stick), an CFI 5.0 (slower and slushbox only) or the original 2.3L 4 cylinder turbo. The 5.0 with manual trans made 175 horsepower and 245 lb-ft of torque. The turbo-four made identical 175 horsepower but less torque at 210 lb-ft. The CFI 5.0 was rated at 165 hp. Supposedly there were only ever 350 of these produced with the turbo 4.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
I road tested one of those 1984 GT350 convertibles for Popular Hot Rodding magazine, back in the day.  Had the 5.0 4-barrel, and 5-speed stick.

Ran pretty OK for a sled with only 175 hp. I seem to recall 1/4 mile in low 15s at about 90 mph.
(Yes, that was what we had to get excited about at the OEM level, back in the early '80s, kids.) 

I think the car in the above photo has non-factory wheels installed.   The TRX wheels were tri-spokes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:35:29 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Builder 2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 10:28:53 PM »
Man I thought this was another thread about saac! Glad it's not.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 07:59:52 AM »
Man I thought this was another thread about saac! Glad it's not.

I can't imagine why that possibly be on your mind?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »
I road tested one of those 1984 GT350 convertibles for Popular Hot Rodding magazine, back in the day.  Had the 5.0 4-barrel, and 5-speed stick.

Ran pretty OK for a sled with only 175 hp. I seem to recall 1/4 mile in low 15s at about 90 mph.
(Yes, that was what we had to get excited about at the OEM level, back in the early '80s, kids.) 

I think the car in the above photo has non-factory wheels installed.   The TRX wheels were tri-spokes.

correct those are either later model wheels or after market
the originals are the trx wheels
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »
Thought this thread was about the DOORS song
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »
Thought this thread was about the DOORS song

you know I read this and was going to add, but said naaa

but then you came along, I can not resist

go jimmy go, did you hear his car is coming back...
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy