News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Removing Undercoating but Not Paint

Started by Shelby_r_b, August 26, 2018, 11:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

So, I jumped head long into removing the undercoating this weekend.  First, a few notes:

1.  Man, that job SUCKS!!! I had the car on a 4 post lift with enough room to wheel around while seated, and it still sucked
2.  I tried 4 different methods / combinations to see which would be easiest for removal.  Here is what I used (picture attached):
  A.  A Wagner 2 range heat gun
  B.  Dupli-Color Grease and Wax Spray
  C.  Freeze-Off
  D.  Kerosene
3.  Did I mention how much this sucks?!?!  Luckily, I purchased a plastic paint drop for the floor under the car, and boy am I glad I did.  This stuff was everywhere as it came off the car.  And, the wheels on my rolling chair now have about 1/4 inch of undercoating not them.  What a mess.

Here are the results:
  A.  The heat gun worked pretty well.  It started the loosening process, but it wasn't good enough on it's own.  And, for those who (like me) forget the obvious when completing a job...don't use a plastic putty knife to follow the head gun.  I'm sure you can figure out why not.  ::)
  B.  The grease and wax spray worked extremely well.  Although, you'll need A LOT of cans to get the whole job done (I feel I barely nicked the surface with one can).
  C.  Freeze-off.  Nothing.  Maybe I was using it wrong, but it did absolutely nothing to remove the undercoating.  I tried spraying for the time suggested on the can, but it had no affect on the undercoating at all.
  D.  The kerosene worked almost as good as the grease and wax spray, but given the smell (and my fear of things catching on fire), I'd stick with the grease and wax spray over kerosene personally.

Also, I was completely paranoid about PPE, given the previous statements about asbestos, so I got everything that was suggested and then some (see the attached picture).  BTW - I almost never take selfies, but I couldn't resist given how ridiculous I looked.  May wife asked if was Breaking Bad (AKA, about to cook meth) or heading to the moon.  Good times. 
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on September 02, 2018, 11:47:36 PM
  B.  The grease and wax spray worked extremely well.  Although, you'll need A LOT of cans to get the whole job done (I feel I barely nicked the surface with one can).

Wax and grease remover is available from other sources in quart and gallon sizes. Just needs to be poured into some pistol sprayers you can buy in bulk cheaply
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 03, 2018, 01:11:47 AM

Wax and grease remover is available from other sources in quart and gallon sizes. Just needs to be poured into some pistol sprayers you can buy in bulk cheaply

That's great news, Jeff!  Can you suggest a place / way to get this in bulk?  I can definitely get some pistol sprayers.
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM6S087

Some guys have all the fun. And you already have your Halloween costume ready - Alien Creature. Ha, ha!

Seriously, I'm sure that really does suck, but it's better than cutting out rusty floor pans and welding in replacements.

Steve

csheff

what kind of undercoating is on your car?
I have an Asphalt base undercoating on my car. Gas works best to remove it but the dangers of the smell and fumes.

Greg

Show us some pictures of the end result...
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

KR500

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on September 03, 2018, 01:28:40 AM
Quote from: J_Speegle on September 03, 2018, 01:11:47 AM

That's great news, Jeff!  Can you suggest a place / way to get this in bulk?  I can definitely get some pistol sprayers.
You can buy (gallons )the tar, wax, grease remover at a paint & body supply store. At least in OH. Check for VOC regulations in your area.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

roddster

Odd.  Nobody mentioned needing lots of "Elbow grease".

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: roddster on September 04, 2018, 11:37:44 AM
Odd.  Nobody mentioned needing lots of "Elbow grease".

LOL. I see what you did there.

BTW - I've found you'll NEVER have enough of that particular ingredient.  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Sorry for the delay, as I was having picture posting problems (operator versus forum error 🤓)

Attached are 2 broad shots of this weekend's work. Although, the results look minimal, the effort was not...and totally worth it! 6S030's belly is finally seeing the light of day.

I'll post more soon.
Nothing beats a classic!

CharlesTurner

Thought I read earlier in this thread that the plan is to do a rotisserie restoration?

If so, would make better sense to disassemble the car (carefully) and then do your cleaning/inspecting.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: CharlesTurner on September 05, 2018, 12:00:28 PM
Thought I read earlier in this thread that the plan is to do a rotisserie restoration?

If so, would make better sense to disassemble the car (carefully) and then do your cleaning/inspecting.

Hi Charles - you are correct. It would be easier to clean if the car was disassembled. And, I've been debating how to approach next steps, as I'd like to do as much of the work personally while understanding what is within my skill set and what is not. Rotisserie restorations are beyond me, but I can scrape with the best of them.  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!