News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT500 spark plug change

Started by charlie D, September 01, 2018, 08:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

charlie D

Update on the spark plug change. After I spent too much time trying to get around the tight spaces, I decided to take the shock tower support bracket off. That let me lift the valve covers off easily and exposed the spark plugs for an easy removal. Like most projects, now that there is room along the firewall, I can more easily install the new heater assembly and clean up some of the wiring along the firewall. So the initial effort to expose the plugs for replacement makes the rest of this easier and worthwhile.
Charlie D

corbins

We all live and learn  ;) Glad it worked out .

pbf777

Such "short-cuts" are perhaps more common than one might think; a by-product of the flat-rate paying system, particularly if a warranty rate is being paid, coupled to unsavory ethics practiced by some of the mechanics, and even some management within the dealerships, to keep production up.   ;)

Next time you get any work done on your vehicle, review or critique the execution visible, you might find it really amazing how many thing you can find......... F"""-UP!    :o

Another, buddy I used to know, who worked at the Pontiac dealership back in the '80's, told me that to replace the heater core in the F-Body Firebirds, requiring nearly the entire interior and dash removal, a job that took twice the book time allotted to execute, aka a "looser",  it was often turned into a "winner" of a job buy choosing an alternate process from that outlined in the manual. Instead, remove the right front wheel, inner wheel liner, take a cut-off wheel and cut an opening in the firewall & heater box, extract & replace heater core, paste up holes with the cutouts & adhesives, reinstall liner & wheel, done.   ::)

Can't say I agree, but beware, such is still practiced today, I assure you.   :(

Scott.