News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sleeping Beauty wakes up

Started by 427heaven, January 23, 2018, 09:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wedgeman

Can't wait to see some pics !!.... 8)

427heaven

Anyone headed to the Scottsdale auctions, thinking about taking Sleeping Beauty to the events surrounding the Auctions. Should be a wail of a good time and record numbers on the block. Good luck to all those attending, and either buying or selling. :)

1967 eight barrel

427heaven

I will try to post some pictures this week- :)

427heaven

Still have no help posting pictures, but been way to cold to do anything. Did these cars have a prop rod for the rear escape hatch panel?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on February 24, 2019, 02:06:27 PM
Still have no help posting pictures, but been way to cold to do anything. Did these cars have a prop rod for the rear escape hatch panel?
All 67 Fastbacks with trap door regardless of if Mustang or Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

Thanks Bob as usual, didn't want to chase down a golden unicorn or the equivalent.

1967 eight barrel

Escape hatch? Are you a Coyote?  ;D ;D

Yes, there is a prop handle handle for the trap door. Here is a link if you're interested.
https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=45734-2B&top_parent=200001&year=1967

427heaven

Thanks guys for the assist... Still looking thru boxes of stuff to get my baby back together. Years of hoarding and multiple projects just complicate matters. :-[

427heaven

This is a question for the do it yourselfers..... What is the process to paint interior panels without filling in the grain or texture to all the interior pieces. I do realize there are people that do this work for a living but I wanted to do this myself without sending panels every which way for painting.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on March 16, 2019, 08:43:48 PM
This is a question for the do it yourselfers..... What is the process to paint interior panels without filling in the grain or texture to all the interior pieces. I do realize there are people that do this work for a living but I wanted to do this myself without sending panels every which way for painting.
Strip all of the paint off of the panels first . I use easy off oven cleaner in the yellow can (Lye is one of the ingredients). It may take one or more applications depending on how much paint. The oven cleaner does not hurt the grain. After it sits for 30 minutes or so and the paint wrinkles up wash it down with water and a stiff PLASTIC scrub brush to get all loose paint off. Dry and repeat until all of the paint is off . After paint is off and panels are dry make sure it is sanitary clean . Use a plastic prep like SEMS for best results or at least go over with lacquer thinner before painting. For black interiors it is recommended to start with a black base coat . I use semigloss black. Krylon will work. After the black base coat you can paint with the (typically lacquer) dark charcoal metallic top coat. The dark charcoal metallic goes on thin and doesn't typically cover well which is why the base coat . Of course use a professional paint product in a spray gun. I would highly recommend staying away from spray cans /rattle cans of charcoal grey metallic that are sold from the Mustang vendors . That is if you want the best results.You want as few coats as possible so as not to fill in the grain.  That is what works for me . Others may do it differently.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

Thanks again BOB for the reply... Would a paint product called adhesion promoter be good for this process or not. I want it to look as natural as possible without filling in the grain. Multiple light coats?

JD

Quote from: 427heaven on March 17, 2019, 10:30:53 AM
Thanks again BOB for the reply... Would a paint product called adhesion promoter be good for this process or not. I want it to look as natural as possible without filling in the grain. Multiple light coats?

Did not find it necessary, clean and dry surface was all that was needed - one persons experience.  I used flat black or hot rod gray primer as a base before the charcoal gray metallic.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on March 17, 2019, 10:49:52 AM
Quote from: 427heaven on March 17, 2019, 10:30:53 AM

Did not find it necessary, clean and dry surface was all that was needed - one persons experience.  I used flat black or hot rod gray primer as a base before the charcoal gray metallic.

I've had issues with the paint re-paint flaking off.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

JD... Thanks for the reply as well, good to hear you pop in once in awhile. Doug thanks for the reply also, so what do you recommend for this? I cringe not knowing how you might respond, but always love the banter. ;D