News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine Restoration

Started by jgroce1985, September 09, 2018, 08:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

I have used the "mustang Detailing guide" by K.A. Helm for a lot of the standard mustang items knowing that some specific Shelby only items will be different i.e. ballancer is semi black instead of corp. blue etc.  then there is the over spray items like the intake etc.

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: jgroce1985 on September 10, 2018, 06:59:02 AM
I'm not sure that's something I would brag about, or be proud of.

Anyways, thanks to the ones that suggested, as well as sent me PM's with contact info I really appreciate it.

I wasn't bragging, just saying. Also I'm not sure corbins was being derogatory.

Way to come out of the gate swinging, just saying. Sugar/vinegar/flies.
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

acman63

Quote from: 2112 on September 10, 2018, 11:58:17 AM
What do you use to clean the engine after the Dyno run-in and before paint? Denatured alcohol?

I use wax and silicone remover you can buy at any paint store.  Right before I paint over the primered parts I clean that with straight clean lacquer thinner.  The primer gets real hard after the heat cycles so the thinner softens it a little so the blue paint stick better
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

jgroce1985

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on September 10, 2018, 02:34:52 PM

Anyways, thanks to the ones that suggested, as well as sent me PM's with contact info I really appreciate it.

We are still on this? Come out swinging? I'm not the one that started anything, other than a simple thread with a simple question. Obviously some have a problem with sticking with the subject. Anyways I've dropped it and I'm moving on, please do the same. Thanks

FL SAAC

Quote from: jgroce1985 on September 10, 2018, 01:18:25 PM
Thanks Everyone, I guess the builders questions are which brackets are black which are aluminum color, things of that nature. I have been trying to look at pictures of restored engines to give him this info to the best of my ability

FYI i had copied this link that is part 2 of  428 engine

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1803-428-cobra-jet-engine-detailing-part-2/

you should be able to find part 1 and 3

also keep doing what you are doing, it is your shelby...haters will be haters...lmao
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on September 10, 2018, 07:50:00 PM
Thanks Everyone, I guess the builders questions are which brackets are black which are aluminum color, things of that nature. I have been trying to look at pictures of restored engines to give him this info to the best of my ability

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1803-428-cobra-jet-engine-detailing-part-2/

also keep doing what you are doing, it is your shelby...haters will be haters...lmao
Great article for a 68 69 70 428 "CobraJet" but not so much for a 67 GT500. I am sure it was meant to be helpful but most likely It will be confusing determining the things that are the same and the things that are different on a 67 GT500 for someone who doesn't know.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 10, 2018, 07:59:11 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on September 10, 2018, 07:50:00 PM

Great article for a 68 69 70 428 "CobraJet" but not so much for a 67 GT500. I am sure it was meant to be helpful but most likely It will be confusing determining the things that are the same and the things that are different on a 67 GT500 for someone who doesn't know.

mr gaines great catch you are correct ! our minds are on our 1969s....once again thank you
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

jgroce1985

Guys thanks for all the replies....

corbins

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on September 10, 2018, 02:34:52 PM

I certainly was not... previous suggestion was to send all this stuff to Jim and others for restoration....  OP was trying to make it look correct , not concours. That was my point. Oh well

This site used to have a bunch of pictures, but that page seems to have been deleted. Or at least, I can't find it now.

http://www.mustangtek.com/index.html

427heaven

Quote from: jgroce1985 on September 10, 2018, 08:10:06 PM
Guys thanks for all the replies....
GROCE Don't go anywhere we are trying to keep the last of the Mohicans together. You are welcome to ask any questions you like here we used to say all are welcome but that has changed with a few self serving elitists. You will learn who they are in short order,problem is many with the derogatory comments, or lack of technical talents, are not willing to add to the conversation, because they don't know the answers. They just have people do things for them. These people just complain about most everything and usually to  the new guy showing a purported  superiority. Truth be known most of these don't race,restore,modify or have hands on knowledge of the technical aspects of these cars. The ones with tremendous knowledge  are usually willing to help to the n- th degree. We have run off most casual car nuts on here hopefully you will stick around long enough to see some positivity! :)

Chris Thauberger

Kumbaya  ;D
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

jgroce1985

My name is Jeremy.....Has anyone had any experience with Baldwin Performance Carburetor in Thomasville NC? He has gave me a good quote of rebuilding and re-plating  both carbs. I like the idea of him being down the road. Plus he has before and after pictures on his open Facebook page...Great looking work.

BGlover67

Quote from: jgroce1985 on September 10, 2018, 10:51:29 PM
My name is Jeremy.....Has anyone had any experience with Baldwin Performance Carburetor in Thomasville NC? He has gave me a good quote of rebuilding and re-plating  both carbs. I like the idea of him being down the road. Plus he has before and after pictures on his open Facebook page...Great looking work.

I asked my restorer Hunter Williard, here is his response:

"I've never heard of Baldwin. I use CCR Classic Carb Rebuilders out of Eden. Guys name is Tim Lancaster. He runs the carbs on a test motor and sends a video to the customer. (336) 394-3184"

Hunter just sent my 663 dated carb to this guy.  I should be getting it back soon.  If you like, I can post some pics and the video for you?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative