News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

66's that did not have thick beehive washers.

Started by 6s1802, September 13, 2018, 04:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rraceme on March 17, 2019, 09:28:53 AM
Just so I understand this correctly. The export brace, firewall brace, washer modified bird cage, over sized head bolts for koni's and adjustable Koni shocks were install at San Jose prior to SA? I loaded a couple pics of a shock and bird cage off my 2227 car. The koni shock dated 7\66. (if you can see it). My shocks were installed after SA conversion? yes? dealer or individual installed? Someone wrote previously on this thread Konis were a very popular upgrade. Is this the correct koni shock installed on GT-350's? thank you, Fred
Logistically a 7/66 dated Koni shock would not be for a 66 GT350 installation at SA. Made at Koni in July of 66 and then shipped overseas  to the United States before being stocked at Ford ,then being re box in a Ford box before being distributed to dealer requesting the shocks . The shocks were not automatically sent to Shelby stocking dealers . It was up to dealers to order stock according to Shelby dealer parts managers I have talked to.  A lot of time would have passed relatively speaking before a 7/66  shock made it to a dealer.  The Koni's were eliminated for cost cutting reasons much earlier in production . For instance they were eliminated around approximately SA VIN # 900 or so. I am not around my registry at the moment to give a good guesstimate on what month in early 66 that might be.  A 7/66 dated Koni shock could have possibly been added by a dealer or previous owner after 66 production had ceased. However with all that said a 7/66 dated shock would be exactly the same as what was installed at SA during 66 production just with a later date code. It is a great period replacement.  I believe the Koni shocks were installed at SA . It was the Ford adjustable shocks that were installed at Ford. One of the SA memos talked about getting Ford to delete the Mustang shocks because since the cars were tightened down on the transport that the shocks were not necessary when being delivered to SA . Prior to that apparently SA had to remove the Ford shocks prior to installing the Koni's. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby