News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

66's that did not have thick beehive washers.

Started by 6s1802, September 13, 2018, 04:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1802

There was a posting before the original site crashed on 66 G.T 350's that were delivered without the washers under the upper bolts on the front shocks. Can anyone remember the serial number range, I seem to remember starting around 1725 and going up.

GT350Lad

I remember the survey/post. It was linked in part to the washer shortage of the era?

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

Quote from: GT350Lad on September 13, 2018, 05:03:20 PM
I remember the survey/post. It was linked in part to the washer shortage of the era?

Don't know that a shortage is anything other than a possibility that some one thought of during the discussion. As far as I recall no evidence of that was offered, only the "possibility"

As always its tough to determine if the parts we see on cars today (especially since most cars have been restored at some point) are the ones they were delivered with
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 13, 2018, 05:07:20 PM

Don't know that a shortage is anything other than a possibility that some one thought of during the discussion. As far as I recall no evidence of that was offered, only the "possibility"

As always its tough to determine if the parts we see on cars today (especially since most cars have been restored at some point) are the ones they were delivered with
To add another possibility besides a shortage or past owner change is a assemblyline "mistake". Regardless the cars were engineered and specked out to have the reinforced upper shock bracket. Although Ford used terminology used in another post I think bee hive sounds silly but that is just me. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 13, 2018, 05:23:56 PM

To add another possibility besides a shortage or past owner change is a assemblyline "mistake". Regardless the cars were engineered and specked out to have the reinforced upper shock bracket. Although Ford used terminology used in another post I think bee hive sounds silly but that is just me. :D

Agree Bob,let's get back to Shock tower cap ;)
6S373
6S1276

6s1802

All right shock tower cap. Any serial numbers of cars that don't have the washers welded on?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1802 on September 13, 2018, 06:29:37 PM
All right shock tower cap. Any serial numbers of cars that don't have the washers welded on?

Plenty but no way of telling (on the majority of them) if the caps are original or not so the findings/results could be very questionable

Have pictures of approximately 50% of the cars. Not all show that particular detail
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

I've been keeping a list for almost 25 years on this topic, I'll post the SAI VIN range tonight when I get home from work. The missing washers are very clustered around a fairly tight VIN range from what I have observed.
Dave - 6S1757

Greg

6S1078 has them and the engine bay doesn't appear to have ever been restored.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

JD

Quote from: GT350Lad on September 13, 2018, 05:35:25 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 13, 2018, 05:23:56 PM

Agree Bob, let’s get back to Shock tower cap ;)

+2
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

pchmotoho

Was thinking about this question at SAAC 43. Their is a beautiful, original paint, original owner, red 66 with a supercharger on it. No washers on it, never was. I'm sure many of you know the car (at least you west coast guys). It was definitely a late number car.

I asked the owner about the lack of washers he said he had no idea why his car was missing them.

s2ms

OK, FWIW...

I have 47 cars on my list. The earliest is in the late 1400's, the latest in the 2200's. Three of the earliest cars on the list have one shock tower with washers and one without. Thirty four are tightly clustered between 1600-1900.

They include restored and unrestored cars. If there was any question about whether a car was a rebody, had the front clip replaced, etc., it wasn't included.
Dave - 6S1757

6s1802

J_Speegle

Only got half way through my pictures and had examples peppered from double digit cars through the 1400's most singles (not groupings) with a couple of clusters of 2 or 3 cars within 2 - 15 digit spread

16 examples in the 6S0001 - 6S1499 range so far