News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

taking forever for any thread to come up!!

Started by 69mach351w, January 24, 2018, 12:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: 69mach351w on January 27, 2018, 12:29:54 PM
If this was 10 yrs ago, 5 minutes wouldn't be nothing.

10? You meant 20, right?

shelbydoug

I think that is mis-interpretation of the facts? If it was 10 years ago the technology would only allow it to load in 5 minutes.

Now that means there is something wrong with the equipment.

The way this server is wobbling around between ok and crashing again shows it is on it's last legs or maybe just being propped up on it's last legs momentarily?

I think ultimately we, yes me included, are going to have to contribute to a Pitcrew Paypal account for donations to pay for a new server? That may be the only way to fix these issues, i.e., a new server or rent or lease a server monthly?

I seem to remember having a discussion with Ron about 10 years ago and he said a new server was about $18,000, and basically no one wanted or maybe more correctly no one could pay for it at the time?

Anyway anyone looks at this, this forum HAS become the lifeblood of the minute to minute existence of this "club" and it clearly needs it to survive even in the near future.  This server issue needs to be remedied?

Any suggestions? I have a roll of quarters I can contribute right now?  I'm going to need to keep the dimes and nickels for gas money. I might have more next month when I vacuum out the car? :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

69mach351w

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 27, 2018, 04:06:00 PM
I think that is mis-interpretation of the facts? If it was 10 years ago the technology would only allow it to load in 5 minutes.

The way this server is wobbling around between ok and crashing again shows it is on it's last legs or maybe just being propped up on it's last legs momentarily?

I think ultimately we, yes me included, are going to have to contribute to a Pitcrew Paypal account for donations to pay for a new server? That may be the only way to fix these issues, i.e., a new server or rent or lease a server monthly?

I seem to remember having a discussion with Ron about 10 years ago and he said a new server was about $18,000, and basically no one wanted or maybe more correctly no one could pay for it at the time?

Anyway anyone looks at this, this forum HAS become the lifeblood of the minute to minute existence of this "club" and it clearly needs it to survive even in the near future.  This server issue needs to be remedied?

Any suggestions? I have a roll of quarters I can contribute right now?  I'm going to need to keep the dimes and nickels for gas money. I might have more next month when I vacuum out the car? :)
I'm so sorry, but I meant to say 15 years, 4 months, 3weeks, 2 days and 18 hours.  Sorry not getting it exact ::)

SFM6S087

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 27, 2018, 04:06:00 PM

$18,000 is a lot of money for one person, but divided up it might be manageable. If 180 people chip in $100 apiece we're there. I'm in for that amount if that's what it takes to get this forum speeded up and reliable. Now all we need are 179 more members to step up to that level. Or even fewer contributors of someone with deep pockets is willing to go a little higher.

But before we get too far along this path we need to find out for certain if a new server is the solution, and exactly what that would cost. Anyone know the answer to those two questions?

Steve

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Quote from: 69mach351w on January 27, 2018, 05:25:20 PM
I'm so sorry, but I meant to say 15 years, 4 months, 3weeks, 2 days and 18 hours.  Sorry not getting it exact ::)

;D

Good thing is computer hardware is one of the things that have improved while getting less expensive over the years.

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

NC TRACKRAT

Which brings the question:  How is the Forum currently funded?  It's gotta cost something to keep this going and, this time, we need to be assured that there will be adequate back-up.  Perhaps we need to have a "Charter" or "Premium" membership with adequate acknowledgment given.
5S071, 6S1467

Bigfoot

I would not b in a position to know but I'm guessing a portion of our dues.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

Quote from: Bigfoot on January 24, 2018, 03:23:03 PM
I have an idea....

The idea above was exactly what we are now talking about.
We should hear from "above" exactly what went wrong and try to address it by spending a few dollars on it.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

cbrown

Did  no one catch Speegels reply?   that's funny stuff....    I think they tape up the hamsters feet!!!  lol

chris

shelbydoug

Well IF the financial part is the problem, then this is worth some discussion. There are lots of us here that enjoy, promote or do business on and have some kind of vested interest in seeing this forum AND SAAC flourish now and in the future.

It is a way of finding new blood, making new acquaintances and mending old fences.

There have been questions about how SAAC will or can continue into the future and the forum is too valuable of a tool to let go by the waste side and fade into oblivion.

One way of attracting new blood and carrying on what is apparently an infection of passion with Shelby's cars is with this forum. There are hundreds if not thousands that stumble upon it casually and eventually come away with an undeniable if not inexplicable interest in these cars.

All Ron needs to do is create a PayPal account where donations could be sent. You don't need to contribute a fortune, just what you can, anonymously.

There are lots of us who disagree here on relatively petty points but one thing that we all agree upon is wanting to see the interest on these cars continue well past our own lives.

It MIGHT be a time to consider taking advertising here as well?

Like I said, it's worthy of a discussion and consideration?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on January 27, 2018, 07:32:00 PM
Which brings the question:  How is the Forum currently funded?  It's gotta cost something to keep this going and, this time, we need to be assured that there will be adequate back-up.  Perhaps we need to have a "Charter" or "Premium" membership with adequate acknowledgment given.

I recently offered to contribute funding for the forum. If there others out there will to contribute then perhaps now is the time to figure out the process. I am not rich by any standard but I know how expensive the IT segment can be and would be will to contribute. I think it is even a write off for my business. I would like to see the forum mirrored so this could never happen again, but that cost money. Would someone here be willing to setup a go fund me page to get the ball rolling?

Chris   
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0