Author Topic: Cobra Badging  (Read 4877 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Cobra Badging
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »
Hey, just a quick question here . . . I've seen some Shelbys from either '69 or '70, that are convertibles, that did not have the cobra on the back of the rear quarter panels. Did all '69-'70 Shelby 'verts have the cobra on the back of the car AND I'm wondering why they are facing two different directions? I wonder why they didn't make them both face forwards or rearwards. Huh . . .
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra Badging
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Hey, just a quick question here . . . I've seen some Shelbys from either '69 or '70, that are convertibles, that did not have the cobra on the back of the rear quarter panels. Did all '69-'70 Shelby 'verts have the cobra on the back of the car AND I'm wondering why they are facing two different directions? I wonder why they didn't make them both face forwards or rearwards. Huh . . .
Not all the 69/70 Shelby converts had the snakes.I am not aware of any reason for not having a right and left style emblem . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:21 AM »
Not all the 69/70 Shelby converts had the snakes.I am not aware of any reason for not having a right and left style emblem .

Using up excess/leftover inventory of one of the directions?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »
Maybe they were using up leftover inventory. I wonder if the cobra is facing the same direction on the '65-'68 Shelbys. I haven't took a close look or even wondered about it, until now, now that I would like to buy a Shelby. huh . . .

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »

Using up excess/leftover inventory of one of the directions?
There are no left or right. Just one style made used on both sides.  It has never been a issue . As Special Ed says - "That's just the way it is".
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
Yep, ok. Just wondering. I do that a lot. What does a used one cost? I may buy one, to put on my computer desk, to enjoy until I make the big purchase.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
Yep, ok. Just wondering. I do that a lot. What does a used one cost? I may buy one, to put on my computer desk, to enjoy until I make the big purchase.
I looked around and couldn't find a old snake emblem to send you . I might have given them all away or they are still yet to be found. In the mean time PM me your ship to address and I will send you this 69 GT500 1:25 model to ether build or decorate your desk or wall like I did.  Oh and welcome to the forum.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »
Bob, Bob, please. I am very taken by your kind and thoughtful offer. Wow, that is super-nice of you. I was going to look for a model this weekend and forgot to do it. Let me at least pay you for it. I hope you have not been insulted. Where my wife is from, if I did this to someone's offer, they would probably be insulted. I can give all day long, but receiving has always been some kind of weird hang-up for me. Is there anything I can send you? Usually, a gift of about half the value of a gift received, is sent to the sender as a thank you in Japan. I can write you a handwritten thank-you card on some velum writing stock I've had for about 30 years. I just dusted off my calligraphy pens and I found 2 Shaeffer fountain pens in there and I bought a multi-colored antique Remington fountain pen off of feebay last Tue. I'm waiting on the ink right now. I can do that in payment for the Shelby, if you want. Thank you, Gaines-san. :)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:13:47 AM »
Bob, Bob, please. I am very taken by your kind and thoughtful offer. Wow, that is super-nice of you. I was going to look for a model this weekend and forgot to do it. Let me at least pay you for it. I hope you have not been insulted. Where my wife is from, if I did this to someone's offer, they would probably be insulted. I can give all day long, but receiving has always been some kind of weird hang-up for me. Is there anything I can send you? Usually, a gift of about half the value of a gift received, is sent to the sender as a thank you in Japan. I can write you a handwritten thank-you card on some velum writing stock I've had for about 30 years. I just dusted off my calligraphy pens and I found 2 Shaeffer fountain pens in there and I bought a multi-colored antique Remington fountain pen off of feebay last Tue. I'm waiting on the ink right now. I can do that in payment for the Shelby, if you want. Thank you, Gaines-san. :)
If you want to do something then do a good turn for 2 others and tell each to do a good turn for two others and so on and so on .That way the good deed spreads out like the ripples from a pebble thrown into a pond. I knew I would be able to use the wisdom from the old Kung Fu TV series some day. ;D PM me your ship to info. ;)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
Way to go Bob  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
Great gesture Bob, very much like you to do such a thing. Appreciate the pass it along as well.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
Bob, ok, I will pm you. I do want to send you a nice thank you card and I will pay it forward. Doomo arigatoo gozaimashita!

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »
Hey, I found what looks like a real cobra for a '68. That is what they say, anyways. It has the part number on the back. Is the '68 cobra emblem the same one used for the '69-'70 models? They want $30. for it. The black paint on it is a little scuffed and one post on the back is missing. The chrome is in good condition.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:50:17 PM by SNAKEBIT »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
The current reproductions have all the same numbers on the back. I believe they are made by the same vendor

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
I wonder if it is an original. It appears to be used. I know there are copies and super-copies of things, but I wonder if there is a way to confirm its age?