News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Radiators for GT500's available

Started by BGlover67, September 21, 2018, 07:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

FYI, there are currently three 1967 GT500 original radiators on eBay (not mine).  Not always easy to find.  Hope this helps someone.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

cboss70

Now that I see a couple originals I'll have to go look to see what I have. 

One listing says its stamped C7ZE and the other C7OE. Should I assume the ZE is for an AT car and OE is 4spd?

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

Quote from: cboss70 on September 21, 2018, 08:38:42 AM
One listing says its stamped C7ZE and the other C7OE. Should I assume the ZE is for an AT car and OE is 4spd?

No That would be the prefixes of the engineering number you need to know what follows those also to figure out application and if they were ever used in a Shelby
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mjv458

Jeff,
What numbers after the prefix should we be looking for?

I think I got this picture from AMK. for discussion purposes

J_Speegle

Quote from: mjv458 on September 21, 2018, 08:48:11 PM
Jeff,
What numbers after the prefix should we be looking for?

What car is it for?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mjv458

Sportyworty

You do not want a radiator from Modine with the engineering prefix stamped on the side strap if that is the location you are referencing. These are not for San Jose plant cars.
Side strap rads below all have different physical dimensions ZE shortest
ZE Mustang/Cougar
OE Midsize Fairlane/Comet
AE Fullsize Galaxie/Meteor

J_Speegle

Quote from: mjv458 on September 21, 2018, 10:14:59 PM
Shelby #458 GT500 4 speed with smog

Top tank with these markings FoMoCo, Maker - W   MO  and Date - 10 66 in this example

Soldered on tag at drivers end of the top tank

And other features such as

1- lack of fluid fittings for automatic transmission hook up since you have a 4 speed,
2- lack of stamping on side straps as that identifies radiator typically found at the other two Mustang plants
3- Lack of tie bolt that holds both side straps since those are often left off (like soldered ID tag) during a rebuild of the radiator  or replacement versions

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 21, 2018, 11:03:53 PM
Quote from: mjv458 on September 21, 2018, 10:14:59 PM
Shelby #458 GT500 4 speed with smog

Top tank with these markings FoMoCo, Maker - W   MO  and Date - 10 66 in this example

Soldered on tag at drivers end of the top tank

And other features such as lack of fluid fittings for automatic transmission hook up, stamping on side straps. Lack of tie bolt that holds both side stripes to one another .....
Just to clarify although there are specific differences between manual and automatic radiators I believe the tie bolt that holds both side straps together is common to both auto and manual and between plants from what I have seen. The tie bolt and the fragile shell nut used to secure it is one of the most common things that is forgotten or left off on purpose when the BB radiator is repaired or recored.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

I have some pics from a small block radiator.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but small blocks had one side with the tie rod, and big blocks had both sides.  Here is the fragile nut Bob mentioned (I guess that could also mean me  ;))
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative