Author Topic: Keepin' It Original Or Not?  (Read 2510 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Keepin' It Original Or Not?
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »
Hello. I was wondering what you all would do. I do not have a Shelby right now, but in the future, I will. My choices of a convertible '70 Shelby will be pretty limited. With that being said, we all know the reason for that. So few of these cars were made in any given year and especially, the 'verts AND throw-in the price range I will be looking at, I think I will be in a corner when it comes to exterior color, when it comes to paint and the top. What should I do, if the only decent candidate I find, does not have the factory body and cloth top color that I really want? I am in the some conundrum with a '66 Fury I that I have. It is nearly 99.99% original, except for the lousy paint job the last guy did, which really should get stripped. The original paint color is a really light sky blue, which I do not like. I have wrestled around in my mind between keeping it original or painting it the color I would really like to have. It would have to be a blue or white to match the 2-3 tone blue interior it has. Keeping or returning a Shelby in/to its original condition, as far as major components, like the interior, the paint, the color of convertible top, etc., I am aware, is of major concern, when valuating a Shelby's worth. I really like the Gulfstream Aqua and the Silver Jade. I really only like maybe 2 or 3 other paints. What should I do, when it comes to the paint and top color, when I get a Shelby? I know, some of you are like "dude, get the car first, then worry about it". I'm just curious, because, like I said, I've been going through this with my Plymouth for a while now. I'm selling the Fury, to make room for the Shelby. Your thoughts . . .
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

papa scoops

• View Profile
Re: Keepin' It Original Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:58:44 PM »
99% original? and it's been painted? maybe 40%. the cost to paint a low line fury 1  with a decent job will exceed the cars value. as far as the Shelby goes, get the color you want. phred

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »
Can I ask, does it have to be a '70?  If you are open to purchasing a '69 instead, your choices will increase dramatically.  They are essentially the same car, except for rarity and the hood stripe.  Oh, and the cost should be much less. 

Try and stay away from a color change.  That should always be a last resort.  Now, when you are planning on purchasing 'your baby', you can't even think of selling it.  But someday, it will come, as all things do and most potential buyers aren't really thrilled with a color change.  Just my op, other much more informed folks should chime in.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 03:21:10 PM »
Given the same situation and the amount of "change" you may be comfortable with why not consider just getting a 69 in the color you want and add the stripes and front spoiler. Easier to undo that a color change.  If it's important to have a 70 only then its worth waiting for the right car

Just another way of looking at the possibility.  As for me a color change is not acceptable unless I'm building a custom, modified or fake  especially considering the cost of paint jobs now and in the future
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 03:42:37 PM »
Guys, thanks so far for the advice. Points all well-taken.
Scoops, you are correct about a new paint job exceeding its value. The Fury is untouched, except for a few items here and there. Maybe, withstanding the "paint job", it is about 75%. Short list of things it is missing.
I wont want to sell my future Shelby, unless I buy one that I really don't want to keep until I die. In any case, it would get willed to my son and daughter.
Bglover67, I want a 1970, because it was not supposed to be. It is the last of its kind. I could put the stripes and chin spoiler on a '69, but that wouldn't, in my mind, be right to do. I would be asked if it is original or "why did you do that", etc., etc.  I may purchase a '69 and use it to purchase a '70 at a later date. I do like the '68 convertibles a bunch, especially the 500KRs, but I'm sure they are very expensive.
J_Speegle, I may just have to wait, even longer than I would like to, to find the exact Shelby I want. If I do, I will be very happy, in the end.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »
After looking at the paints Ford had for the '69-'70 Shelbys, I've decided that any color they came with that year, would be acceptable to me. Is the Competition Red sort of like a red-orange/orange-red, like a sunset orange? I really like the greens they offered then and the "Grabber" colors. I'm not sure if I've seen the grey color.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
I've looked for a Pastel Grey and all the pics come back with white and a blue stripe. Was the White and the Pastel Grey of that year, essentially the same? Does one actually look grey(ish)?

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 10:25:17 PM »
Is the Competition Red sort of like a red-orange/orange-red, like a sunset orange?
Yes, it is also called Calypso Coral, Poppy Red and others. My 69 is Competition Red.

TOB
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:20:32 AM by TOBKOB »
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
I've looked for a Pastel Grey and all the pics come back with white and a blue stripe. Was the White and the Pastel Grey of that year, essentially the same? Does one actually look grey(ish)?

Here are your color choices
http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969paint

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
TOBKOB, you have a nice looking Shelby. Bill, thanks for the color chart help. I see that the Pastel Grey is a very light grey. Not bad looking. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one. One website I found, listed the Red as Candy Apple Red and that's just wrong, correct? I really like the Competition Red, all the uncoded colors, Silver Jade and the Gulfstream Aqua. I first saw Gulfstream Aqua at, I think, the Carl Casper's Kustom Auto Show many years ago. I had never seen that color up until then and how impressed with it. What a terrific shade of blue-green. I just can't wait to be able to finally start shopping for a real Shelby.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:22:41 PM by SNAKEBIT »