Author Topic: Self-Protection EDC  (Read 6637 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Self-Protection EDC
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else carries any protection with them on a regular/fairly regular basis. I do, most of the time. I am going to purchase a Glock 43, which is a sub-compact, great for iwb (inside the waistband) carry and it's a 9mm. It's a pretty new model. I've seen several spec ops guys carrying it as one of their EDC (every day carry) items on YouTube videos. I also bought this nifty minimalist "wallet" by Trayvax that is a blue anodized item. I also often carry one of my two automatic knives. One is an antique American jack knife made between 1946 and 1956. I also have an Italian auto. I don't feel paranoid and I'm not in constant concern for my health or the health of my family. It's just that I have seen a lot of violence, here, in my city and all across the globe lately, as in the last 10 years or so. I may be adding some different items to my EDC that I will swap out from time-to-time, like an extendable baton and mace, in lieu of a knife. I just like to be prepared for any problem that may come up, especially when my wife and 2 small children are with me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:35:58 PM by SNAKEBIT »
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Protection EDC
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:31:40 PM »
Wow, I have to ask where you are from?

Actually, I feel I need to be more prepared all the way around.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:50:58 PM »
Check with regional EDC laws that vary by county and State. 

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »
I live in Louisville. The violence is not horrible here, just in the low-rent areas of town. I am a landlord and I have to put myself in rough neighborhood and I've had tenants threaten me, veiled and outright. I have 2 very young children with me often, along with my wife and if some worthless you know what starts to act up and come at me with my family in the car (that actually happened one time), I may have to do something that I would have to live with, for the rest of my life. Also, the last job I had as a painter (I am a painter-by-trade) was with this complete idiot who was a self-described fascist. He blew a gasket big time with me (luckily my brother was there with me), told me to meet him in the back yard of a house we spent most of the day scraping and when I wouldn't do that, he started tying to back me up in the front yard. I pulled out a Cold Steel push knife that can shave my hand and I told him you get close enough to hit me, you take a swing at me, and your getting this knife in the face, the neck. He backed off and called the cops on me. I quit painting after that for anyone. The vast majority of the painters in the trade, are jerky scumbag, rip-off artists. Yes, he sent me a text message, telling me to help him bilk his client out of money by falsifying hours my brother and I worked. That man got a call from me, when this scumbag wouldn't pay me. I eventually got paid. I live a quiet life now. I spend most of my time, with my family or out in the garage working on a task or project or down in our basement, doing woodworking or learning furniture finishing techniques.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:50:33 PM »
Btw, I got my CCDW permit years ago. In my state, if you have that license, you can carry ANY deadly weapon you want, or all of them at the same time. I've carried a straight razor, a switchblade, a pistol. My next personal defense item I would like to get, so that I can protect myself and not necessarily kill someone, would be a collapsible baton. I DO NOT want to have to live with taking a life, even if the turd is just that, because I will have to relive that over and over and over, BUT if someone like that comes to me like that, they are going to get it but good. I have also entertained learning Krav Maga here. I wanted to learn the Fred Mastro system, but there are no instructors close enough.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
we highly recommend one of these, they have proven themselves highly effective in any and all circumstances

comparable mileage to a early model shelby
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 11:15:50 PM »
Sorry, can't afford a tank and I certainly would try lesser methods, first. haha ;D :P

dso17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 07:03:57 AM »
I work in a high crime area but have had no trouble when I'm wearing this..

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
I work in a high crime area but have had no trouble when I'm wearing this..

and that's how we start our bbq...

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »
I carry a decked out Colt Officers .45 ACP for the past 20 years. I had it modified with trigger job, night sights, combat trigger/releases/safety, guide rod, ramped for hollow points, beveled magazine well,titanium firing pin, lightweight hammer, houge grips, national match barrel bushing,  and extra round Wilson Combat magazines.

My wife carries a Springfield Armory 9mm  XD Mod 2.  Much more comfortable than the Glock for us. My father-in-law has Glock 42 & 43. Try to rent them before you buy and get what is most comfortable for you!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:12:37 PM by Sixx7shelby »
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
Wow, that is an expensive .45. Sounds nice. Glad you two carry. I'll try to rent a Glock 43, if I can. Thanks for the good advice.

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 05:50:09 PM »
I've grown up with small arms...fired my first shot when I was 3 yrs. old, shot trap and skeet in competition as a teen-ager.  Both wife & I have had CCP's since they were offered here. One of my collateral duties in the Navy was small arms co-ordinator, OIC of the base armory and R&P Team.  Whatever you chose, "Don't leave home without it" and I don't mean AMEX!  Hopefully, you'll never have to use it.
5S071, 6S1467

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
small arms hmmmmm...

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Ldouble619

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
Hahaha

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »
,,,and some folks grow up with small minds. :)
5S071, 6S1467