Author Topic: 67 gt500 shocks  (Read 2572 times)

waltweems

• View Profile
67 gt500 shocks
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:39:53 AM »
Can anyone advise me on a source for front shocks for my 67 GT500.  I want to find ones that are the original type.

Thanks,

Walt Weems

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 67 gt500 shocks
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »
There are basically four choices I see

1- Find a pair of originals.  Of course condition, both visually (external condition) and if they work would have to be considerations depending on how you are going to use the car

2- Find a pair of look alikes, or at least adjustable shocks that are close to looking 100%. Some will use later Stryders though there were many versions over the years and the external markings will be different (but difficult to see once installed) than factory. Different markings, size of upper washers or even lack of them. Different bases and shapes of the main tube as well as markings all come into consideration when going this route

3- Some will use current aftermarket shocks and add the "special" top washer to attempt to produce a shock that at looks original from above (from the engine compartment view)

4- There are reproductions of at least the AUTOLITE stamped versions - don't think they make the FoMoCo version currently

Allot depends on how you expect to use the car, and how you want to present the car as well as your pocket book. From there you can figure out where you want to be in the scale from sort of correct to just like it was originally . Hope this helps ... all comes down to choices.

Sure some of the others will comment  :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »
There are basically four choices I see

1- Find a pair of originals.  Of course condition, both visually (external condition) and if they work would have to be considerations depending on how you are going to use the car

2- Find a pair of look alikes, or at least adjustable shocks that are close to looking 100%. Some will use later Stryders though there were many versions over the years and the external markings will be different (but difficult to see once installed) than factory. Different markings, size of upper washers or even lack of them. Different bases and shapes of the main tube as well as markings all come into consideration when going this route

3- Some will use current aftermarket shocks and add the "special" top washer to attempt to produce a shock that at looks original from above (from the engine compartment view)

4- There are reproductions of at least the AUTOLITE stamped versions - don't think they make the FoMoCo version currently

Allot depends on how you expect to use the car, and how you want to present the car as well as your pocket book. From there you can figure out where you want to be in the scale from sort of correct to just like it was originally . Hope this helps ... all comes down to choices.

Sure some of the others will comment  :)
The reproductions are based on a new or reconditioned Gabriel strider shock that has engraving added to mimic the original metal stampings . I am not sure of the technique that is used to get rid of the initial Gabriel stampings.  Typically the reproductions are not adjustable like original. The adjustable feature can be added at a extra cost and availability of cores. Yes Dan Patch (who is the only one I know of doing them) does the FoMoCo version. The price varies. I believe a non adjustable set goes for in the 1600-1800.00 range. I think he typically takes 8-10 weeks once the order is placed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:29:54 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
How would you contact Dan

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »
Was trying to find Dan's contact info and ran across this post from a while back.  Thought I'd post the link to his website for future searches:

https://dansshocks.com/
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »
Or just put Konis on the car and be happy.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 11:57:38 PM »
What is the OD of the Assembly line front Shelby Autolites (Striders) upper disk with 4 holes in it?
For extra credit, how about the smaller holes?

I have a full set of early 2000s Striders in my 70 B2 and can steal the fronts for the Shelby. The rears of the Shelby are original assembly line.

Next step could be (pick one):
* Remove the Gabriel writing and paint the Striders to look like Autolites
* Send in the Gabriels to have them stamped correctly
* Buy Dan's non-adjustables/adjustables at $325/$400 ea.

The car would compete in Div II Concours.

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx