Author Topic: I Fixed My Car Today!  (Read 6970 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
I Fixed My Car Today!
« on: September 26, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
Hey everyone. I was able to do some major work on my car today, thanks in no small part to YouTube! I watched a video twice on how to change out the strut assemblies on my CR-V, bought the left and right side ones from Rock Auto (they arrived in like 2 days) and I installed them today! It only took me around 50 minutes each I've never done that kind of involved work before on any car I've ever owned. Now, I bet I can do some fixing and installing on my future Shelby! Yay for me!  ;)  ;D  :P
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: I Fixed My Car Today!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »
Congratulations!  It is always a great feeling to accomplish a task you have not down before.  Shock absorbers on a Shelby will be a piece of cake compared to struts.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:34:05 PM »
Hey everyone. I was able to do some major work on my car today, thanks in no small part to YouTube! I watched a video twice on how to change out the strut assemblies on my CR-V, bought the left and right side ones from Rock Auto (they arrived in like 2 days) and I installed them today! It only took me around 50 minutes each I've never done that kind of involved work before on any car I've ever owned. Now, I bet I can do some fixing and installing on my future Shelby! Yay for me!  ;)  ;D  :P

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Great work! I do the same using YouTube. I completed a huge job on my Towncar replacing upper and lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rods. Hard work but very rewarding in the end. I replaced the rear air bags with coil springs two weeks ago. Keep doing your own repairs. It's very gratifying!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »
  I fixed my '98 Explorer last week too. The check engine light came on so I promptly traded it in on a newer model to solve the problem. LOL
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
You go Randy! ;D

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
  I fixed my '98 Explorer last week too. The check engine light came on so I promptly traded it in on a newer model to solve the problem. LOL
That works too. And it's guaranteed!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
Randy- I heard that model had a loose muffler return spring system, did you ever get around to fixing that? ;D

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 07:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the positive strokes, guys. I'm guessing the two rear coil-over shocks, need it, too. I have 122,000+ miles on it. I need to look at my owners manual because my fix-it light has been on forever. I wonder how to get it to turn off?
Randy, glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read your reply.

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »
I've been wanting to replace the windshield wipers on my car, but find no reference to left and right side identification. Last time I tried, was hard to grasp as they were swinging back & forth.  What manual should I buy?

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »
Lol. Uh, I think you need to find the "silly owners" manual. Call Autozone and tell them that. That would be funny.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
   Part of my response was a joke but it was actually based on the fact that "this" old S.O.B. doesn't play well with "modern" computer controlled cars. I took it to a friend who has a code reader and the code reader gave me 4 options from oxygen sensor to catalytic converter. With almost 200,000 miles on the clock and the vehicle value being "scrap" ( I got a courtesy $1,000 trade in value) there was NO reason to spend money chasing the problem.
   Give me a carburetor and a spark plug and I'm a tuning wizard , but "smart cars" are TOO smart for me! LOL That is the reason there is a 50 year spread between the car I enjoy the most and the car I drive every day. At least I can still fix the old ex rental car.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 05:20:19 PM »
   Part of my response was a joke but it was actually based on the fact that "this" old S.O.B. doesn't play well with "modern" computer controlled cars. I took it to a friend who has a code reader and the code reader gave me 4 options from oxygen sensor to catalytic converter. With almost 200,000 miles on the clock and the vehicle value being "scrap" ( I got a courtesy $1,000 trade in value) there was NO reason to spend money chasing the problem.
   Give me a carburetor and a spark plug and I'm a tuning wizard , but "smart cars" are TOO smart for me! LOL That is the reason there is a 50 year spread between the car I enjoy the most and the car I drive every day. At least I can still fix the old ex rental car.
      Randy
Boy I can relate to that. For the last 3 months we've been driving a "loaner" from Ford because they couldn't get parts for my wife's Edge that has an airbag recall. The loaner had that "feature" where it actually cuts off temporarily while idling at a stop light. In my day if your car kept cutting off at stop lights there was a tow truck in your future.

Ted

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
One piece of advice if you are going to work on a 50 year old car,especially if it is unrestored...Things will take a lot longer than on a new car,be patient and allow yourself time as there will likely be “forks in the road”(rusted,frozen,broken,blah,blah,blah)However it is just a car so anything CAN be fixed ,so,have fun and don’t get frustrated(I have heard beer helps). Good Luck!!!

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 01:27:33 AM »
live like me.. if it ain't broke, fix it till it is! phred