Author Topic: Painting 70 GT350 Soon, Couple of Questions  (Read 7903 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Painting 70 GT350 Soon, Couple of Questions
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »
I'm about to have my 70 Shelby GT350 car number 3024 painted. I'm taking it apart for before I drop of to the painter and had a couple of questions.

1. How do I get the Cobra and Shelby emblem off the side of the car? Is it attached from the interior of the car?

2. How do I remove the rear trunk Shelby Emblem?

3. My door tag appears original but in bad shape, recommend masking off for the paint or would you recommend replacing?

4. The area directly behind my front bumper is painted black, I was told it was supposed to be a dark greyish color on the 69's. Is that the same for all 69 Shelbys? What color is it?

5. Any other tips or advice? This isn't a full on concourse paint job, I'm just refreshing the tired paint on this driver car of mine but I'd like to keep things accurate without going too crazy.
The emblem and the trunklid mesh /letters is held on with double sided tape. They can be loosened with a heat gun and carefully pried off. It is typical to have to replace with another because the original gets damaged during removal . Shelby parts and restoration sells the most accurate reproduction of the trunklid mesh . You can get new letters and snake emblems from him too. The frame rail behind the front bumper would be most typically black . The firewall back is the place the slop gray paint was used . Firewall forward was a red oxide tint underneath. The engine compartment and the front of the radiator support including the front frame rail was meant to be painted black.

I just want to make sure I understand and that we're talking about the same parts; to confirm the grill in painted the argent grey color, does that include the top grill bracket? Mine is a  lighter grey/almost silver. Appears to be repainted at some point, what's the correct color for that part. I've seen various colors online and I have no idea what is actually correct.

The part where the grill sits (not sure of the correct nomenclature of the part) as shown in the picture is painted black on my car..this should be argent grey as well?

Thanks
First "Dark Argent "is what you want to use . 70 Mach I's used it on the side rocker trim. Regular argent is too silver. The triangle shaped support is smigloss black the foglight support is the dark argent . Since you are repainting all these parts I would remind you that the hood latch support that the triangle support piece attaches to is the batch paint in one of the slop gray tints. You didn't mention it so I wanted to bring it up. This is at least the colors used from the factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2018, 08:16:45 PM »
I read on reply 2 that backside of front valence should be blacked out. I want  to make that corection on mine. Was any over spray behind fenders corners ?
Was it paint in place as front fiberglass was preassembly by AO smitch ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:21:43 PM by Shelbypat »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »
I read on reply 2 that backside of front valence should be blacked out. I want  to make that corection on mine. Was any over spray behind fenders corners ?

Likely it was (the amount of paint travel and overspray) results of how far over the painter bent, how far he reached on that car and the angle of the spray gun. With that said I don't have any pictures of a car with any great measurable black past where the valance ends at either end but appears to be no effort to mask the surface off at the ends. May have been done by the same painter and at the same time/station as when the turn indicator pockets were detailed with black

Makes the most sense as that would be the point were it could be done without getting overspray on any of the rest of the car.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 09:50:19 PM »
The front end was completely assembled before attaching it on to the car. It only makes sense that the black out was done prior to the front end being lowered onto and attached to the chassis. With that said from observations on a number of survivor cars there is typically overspray on the backside of the fender portion were the valance ends and the fender begins. It was as if the spray gun trigger was released as the painter got to the very end of the front valance so overspray happened passed the end of the front valance.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
Th e top side of valance was blacked out over to the side marker lites & front valance area around the park lamps  area to match the blackout from the black paint over the chrome 69 cougar chrome bezels & across the top lip of valance panel  & this area is often done wrong & somebody needs to post a good photo (who knows how) to get this correct & its very easy once understood.

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
Thanks Guys.