Author Topic: Painting 70 GT350 Soon, Couple of Questions  (Read 7904 times)

Fastback66

• View Profile
Painting 70 GT350 Soon, Couple of Questions
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
I'm about to have my 70 Shelby GT350 car number 3024 painted. I'm taking it apart for before I drop of to the painter and had a couple of questions.

1. How do I get the Cobra and Shelby emblem off the side of the car? Is it attached from the interior of the car?

2. How do I remove the rear trunk Shelby Emblem?

3. My door tag appears original but in bad shape, recommend masking off for the paint or would you recommend replacing?

4. The area directly behind my front bumper is painted black, I was told it was supposed to be a dark greyish color on the 69's. Is that the same for all 69 Shelbys? What color is it?

5. Any other tips or advice? This isn't a full on concourse paint job, I'm just refreshing the tired paint on this driver car of mine but I'd like to keep things accurate without going too crazy.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Painting 70 GT350 Soon, Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
I'm about to have my 70 Shelby GT350 car number 3024 painted. I'm taking it apart for before I drop of to the painter and had a couple of questions.

1. How do I get the Cobra and Shelby emblem off the side of the car? Is it attached from the interior of the car?

2. How do I remove the rear trunk Shelby Emblem?

3. My door tag appears original but in bad shape, recommend masking off for the paint or would you recommend replacing?

4. The area directly behind my front bumper is painted black, I was told it was supposed to be a dark greyish color on the 69's. Is that the same for all 69 Shelbys? What color is it?

5. Any other tips or advice? This isn't a full on concourse paint job, I'm just refreshing the tired paint on this driver car of mine but I'd like to keep things accurate without going too crazy.
The emblem and the trunklid mesh /letters is held on with double sided tape. They can be loosened with a heat gun and carefully pried off. It is typical to have to replace with another because the original gets damaged during removal . Shelby parts and restoration sells the most accurate reproduction of the trunklid mesh . You can get new letters and snake emblems from him too. The frame rail behind the front bumper would be most typically black . The firewall back is the place the slop gray paint was used . Firewall forward was a red oxide tint underneath. The engine compartment and the front of the radiator support including the front frame rail was meant to be painted black.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:57:08 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:08:35 PM »
When you mask off the ID tag on a 70 it never looks great so you have to decide . There is not much you can do with a 70 sticker. If you try and remove it you will destroy it . It is designed to render itself useless if taken off . If you are talking about the metal panel that holds the foglights behind the bumper then it is a dark argent like used on the 1970 Mach I side rocker panels. The complete grill ,inside headlight buckets and headlight rings are also the dark gray. The backside of the lower valance was blacked out with semi gloss paint . Inside the area that the turn signal bezels are placed are also blacked out.   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:55:21 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
Great information and advice. Thank you.

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 05:38:52 PM »
And, Marti Auto Works can reproduce your 1970 door sticker. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 01:21:12 AM »
The best advise is leave the car alone, once you paint it then everything else will look awful and the can of worms is opened.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 07:46:06 AM »
It's had a repaint back in the 70's. Can was already open.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 08:33:15 AM »
The best advise is leave the car alone, once you paint it then everything else will look awful and the can of worms is opened.
+1 if the paint is decent. New paint will make everything else look bad ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
Do NOT put any tape on that sticker, or you will have to replace it.

Old dogs know that you can tape off a wide area around the factory ID sticker, and roll the tape back as you spray.

Do NOT lay heavy coats of paint around or over the ID sticker, just spray area's around it.
Overspray will blend in by hand rubbing when finished.

Unless your car is rusty, had been painted over before, you should be good

This is the same way, for the most part, painters blend spots on whole panels. They usually find an edge, and then peel back, makes for a nice job.

A blend spray mixture, which kind of melts paint, is sometimes used to melt old and new paint ino a blend.

Other guys herein, that do this daily, could advise if there are other newer methods.
Respectfully submitted,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »

Old dogs know that you can tape off a wide area around the factory ID sticker, and roll the tape back as you spray.

Do NOT lay heavy coats of paint around or over the ID sticker, just spray area's around it.

This is the same way, for the most part, painters blend spots on whole panels. They usually find an edge, and then peel back, makes for a nice job.

A blend spray mixture, which kind of melts paint, is sometimes used to melt old and new paint ino a blend.

Other guys herein, that do this daily, could advise if there are other newer methods.
Respectfully submitted,
John
John, you can mask the sticker but if the tape substantially pulls up on the sticker is when the VOID warning comes through like when you try to peel it off. To be on the save side many that do this paper the center of the sticker and tape the edges to protect it from overspray . I haven't seen one done I really like regardless . But that is just me.

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »
Thanks gents for the advice. I just want to confirm that the Snake and "Shelby" emblem on the side quarter behind the rear side window is stuck to the car with adhesive and not posts?
Thanks again for all the great information.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
After she's painted you should also have her painted in this manner as well...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »

Respectfully submitted,
John

Do you think that door tag I posted a picture of is worth saving? Or would I be better off replacing it?

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »
Bob, you are correct too.

I found that the paint line build up around the tag is not flattering, just like you..

I had bad luck with pulling tape from the edges of the ID sticker every time I tried it.

masking off 3 -4 inches from it, and rolling the tape>>> has worked for me.
This needs to be done on newer cars, pretty much all of them>>> once you tape them>>> geez they VOID themselves like you say.

Whatever he chooses, hope it works and he keeps his original tag,

Fastback 66, keep  the original tag, always the best, even if its a little tattered.
Keep us informed with what you do, and how you do it>>>

With respect,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »
Bob, you are correct too.

I found that the paint line build up around the tag is not flattering, just like you..

I had bad luck with pulling tape from the edges of the ID sticker every time I tried it.

masking off 3 -4 inches from it, and rolling the tape>>> has worked for me.
This needs to be done on newer cars, pretty much all of them>>> once you tape them>>> geez they VOID themselves like you say.

Whatever he chooses, hope it works and he keeps his original tag,

Fastback 66, keep  the original tag, always the best, even if its a little tattered.
Keep us informed with what you do, and how you do it>>>

With respect,
John
I resemble that remark. :D