Author Topic: Removing hood springs  (Read 2198 times)

jgroce1985

• View Profile
Removing hood springs
« on: September 30, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »
Hey guys if you have an original hood that isn't warped would you suggest pulling the springs from the hinges and installing a prop rod to keep this from ever happening? Just seeing your thoughts thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Removing hood springs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:49:49 PM »
Hey guys if you have an original hood that isn't warped would you suggest pulling the springs from the hinges and installing a prop rod to keep this from ever happening? Just seeing your thoughts thanks.
If you feel paranoid about the hood warp thing you could always unhook the springs and carry around a wooden prop rod or equivalent to use to keep the hood open. You could reconnect the springs for show and tell.  I had a 69 that the springs would flex the hood enough when it was shut that I only connected them when I had to leave the hood open. I have others that don't have the flex.  I got real quick disconnecting and re connecting springs every time I opened my hood and didn't use a prop rod. I could do both springs in about a minute and half.  A tire J hook became my go to tool when I did the disconnect re connect . I would definitely suggest not to "install" a prop rod. Carry one if you need to when leaving the hood open but do not do any kind of permanent installation is my advice. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
I've kept,used a short section (may be 4-6" long) of vinyl coated chain. Slip a screw driver in one end link and slip the other over the other end and pull a little.  After a while the vinyl will tear through on that end so you just cut the last link off and use the next one.  Maybe a little shade tree but a quick, easy to store tool when you need it ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:38:22 PM »
both good ideas, but the slip factor and risk of chipping the paint. be careful. phred

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
I have seen a used belt used to pull the spring on.

Darrpo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
I have used a fan belt for years. If you never tried one, give it a try and you will never use anything else to remove or connect the hood springs

jgroce1985

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm thinking I will go ahead and remove them. I know on my 69 Hertz car the hood was in real bad shape and I would hate to run into that issue again.