Author Topic: Fuel Gauge  (Read 4467 times)

sfm5s081

• View Profile
Fuel Gauge
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
I know this is a bit of a simple/odd question... But why don't the csx 4000 cars have fuel gauges? IS there a solution?

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »
None of the 1965 G.T. 350 R code or R Model, if you will, had a gas gauge. Maybe they didn't read accurately during a race? Or it was mathematically calculated how much fuel was needed. I saw a video of a Porsche 718 old race car being sticked in the gas tank to determine the fuel level. See video below.
https://youtu.be/6y25dYXbr5M
Yours is done for nostalgia reasons?
Update: Saw that NASCAR doesn't use gas gauge because of banking of turns makes it unreliable plus they rely on fuel pressure gauge to get a read and as pressure drops means gas is running low. I would keep your Cobra as it was intended from the factory.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 06:42:01 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
I don’t know if they can be optioned with a fuel level gauge in place of the fuel pressure gauge when buying new, I bought mine secondhand, but mine has fuel level, not the fuel pressure.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:11:18 PM »
I know this is a bit of a simple/odd question... But why don't the csx 4000 cars have fuel gauges? IS there a solution?
The Race Cobra's relied on two separate feed lines coming from the tank. I believe many CSX 4000's had tanks plumbed the same way . At least that was the way the earlier 4000 tanks were made. One outlet line was low and another that was slightly higher.  The mechanical pump was fed through the higher line . When the engine started to cut out that meant the fuel to the mechanical had reached that higher level point and that the tank only had a few gallons left before it was dry. The electric pumps were run on the lower outlet which when switched on all was good and you knew you had time to get in to refuel before you ran out of gas. This set up ran two separate fuel lines from the back to the front and plumbed so they joined at the mechanical pump.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 11:17:35 PM »
Thanks Bob, I figured there had to be some way of having a reserve. I had the sender replaced when I bought my car, and I haven’t dared to test how accurate it is when the gauge indicates near empty, but I’ll verify I have the dual feeds on the tank, and I’ll let it run out on the mechanical pump, and see where the gauge is.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
You could get a fuel level gauge with the CSX4XXX & CSX6XXX Continuation Cobras. The problem with the fuel level gauge is as stated previously, inaccuracy of the reading. The CSX Continuation Cobras come with dual fuel lines, one is the main feed and the other is a reserve feed. The main fuel hose supplies fuel to the engine mounted mechanical fuel pump and the reserve fuel hose comes from electric fuel pumps mounted in the trunk. It is much more reliable to have a fuel pressure gauge mounted in the dash rather than a fuel level gauge, with the fuel pressure gauge you get a more accurate reading as to when its time to switch the reserve electric fuel pumps on and get to the next fuel station.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:57:46 AM by CSX2259 »