News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 FMX dip stick finish

Started by aboss4tg, August 23, 2018, 05:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SNAKEBIT on October 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM
What are the correct cables for a '69-'70 model?
Reply #8 shows a nice repro example.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

Sorry, I got confused. I had thought you were saying that the one in Reply 8 was incorrect. You meant the one from the beginning of the thread. Oops.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

69mach351w

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, when I originally restored my mach 1 to MCA rules, all the judging rule books were saying tranny dip stick tubes were painted black. I knew something was wrong when my FMX tube was light blue. But, was instructed "then" that blue was wrong.

Anyway, that's a different time.

My question is how can I get the black paint off my FMX tube without destroying the robin's egg blue underneath?

See photos of old rule books ;D

Lol, yea I've kept these rule books this long!

Coralsnake

An excellent example of why there is no single restoration book.

69mach351w

Lol, especially over the past 30 years  ;D

Bob Gaines

For those reading ,the rules and guidelines for concours have continue to evolve over time as different better information comes to light.That was my incentive for one to get involved . I wanted the best most accurate information to help people restore their car back to stock where they wanted to. I could do that most effectively from the inside of the various venues. Others can do that too. There is always help needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69mach351w

LOL,  I'd still like to see if anyone can answer my question at reply #17.

The question is in BLUE

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on October 14, 2018, 05:17:11 PM
LOL,  I'd still like to see if anyone can answer my question at reply #17.

The question is in BLUE
Me too. I have had similar situations before where I was trying to preserve the underlying finish within reason. All the processes I have tried would also  harm the finish of the base you were trying to preserve. Here's hoping for a reasonable answer.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 69mach351w on October 14, 2018, 10:44:14 AM
Back in the late 80's/early 90's, when I originally restored my mach 1 to MCA rules, all the judging rule books were saying tranny dip stick tubes were painted black. I knew something was wrong when my FMX tube was light blue. But, was instructed "then" that blue was wrong.

Some of those reflect many years ago when those organizations only had one set of rules that were used for all years and makes no matter. We were only able to provide better focus and detail once we broke them out by year or groups (67-68 for example or Mustangs and another for Shelby)  many years ago when I was  given that task

My question is how can I get the black paint off my FMX tube without destroying the robin's egg blue underneath?

If its been years you might be out of luck and be better off to just remove and repaint. If the blue is original you can always try some careful application of enamel reducer to the black and see if you can get it to come off without disturbing the underlying blue

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

69mach351w

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 14, 2018, 06:06:17 PM

Some of those reflect many years ago when those organizations only had one set of rules that were used for all years and makes no matter. We were only able to provide better focus and detail once we broke them out by year or groups (67-68 for example or Mustangs and another for Shelby)  many years ago when I was  given that task
Yes, I was quite aware that this was many years ago ::) LOL

And actually it wasn't organizations,  The judging books are all MCA :o

You can also see where I said "Anyway, that's a different time".

I was only asking about the paint removal process if anyone knew.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 69mach351w on October 14, 2018, 06:21:22 PM
I was only asking about the paint removal process if anyone knew.

Did and hope it works out for you but no guarantees after all these years
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SNAKEBIT

69Mach, I used some very fine grit sandpaper to remove an old paintjob off of a 1960 Huffy Eldorado that had blue over a very faded red and found the name on the chainguard. I used 600 grit, I believe. I went slowly and as soon as I saw red, I moved my scratching a little and worked on more blue. Use water while you do this. You could maybe dip your wet/dry sandpaper into a weakened solution of paint remover/thinner of some kind to help along, maybe to soften-up the paint a tad or use a heat gun, held at a farther away distance than normal to help soften the top layer. Work carefully, patiently and this may work for you. Have a good'n.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!