Author Topic: Roll Bar  (Read 3864 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Roll Bar
« on: October 11, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
I just looked at some roll bars from Branda today and I didn't see those little "surfboard" rings on top of it. Are those stock on the '68-'70 Shelby verts? Just the '69-'70 models? Not stock, but optional?
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Bar
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:38:53 PM »
I just looked at some roll bars from Branda today and I didn't see those little "surfboard" rings on top of it. Are those stock on the '68-'70 Shelby verts? Just the '69-'70 models? Not stock, but optional?
Those surf board tie downs are on all 68-70 Shelby convertibles. The Branda repro roll bars are not drilled to accept the original tie downs. you would have to drill and tap for them to work on a repro bar.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »
Bob, thanks for the info on those. Uh, I take it, someone probably makes a reproduction of those tie-downs or are they fairly easy to find used/N.O.S. ones? Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »
Bob, thanks for the info on those. Uh, I take it, someone probably makes a reproduction of those tie-downs or are they fairly easy to find used/N.O.S. ones? Thanks.
Yes, sometimes used ,Branda Repro or occasionally NOS.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »
I found a pair on Mustangs Unlimited for $84.95. Branda has them for $79.95. This was for anyone interested in getting an idea of how much they might cost. I am not affiliated with these or any other company.

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »
I believe I have an original '69 Shelby Roll Bar in the original thin cardboard paper type packaging which is deteriorating. The shipping label is still attached and states it is from Autosport Products, Inc. 12265 Market St. Livonia, Michigan 48150  and it says Shelby Accessories, Sport Performance Center. The packing is ripped in several spots and the roll bar appears as Bob Gaines described above and it also has a thin rubber coating covering it.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
Rich, that is very nice. I take it, the tie-down loops are not attached or you can't see if they are? Maybe they are wrapped-up and inside the box, separately?

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »
One tie down is sticking out through a rip in the card board covering.  The tie down loop is definitely attached (welded) to roll bar and it is rubber coated.  The tie down hole is oval shape.  The hole is definitely not round. The tie down loop sticks out of the roll bar on the same side (or you could say it is on the same side) as the large portion or part of the roll bar that sticks out and connects to the seat belts.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 09:50:18 PM »
One tie down is sticking out through a rip in the card board covering.  The tie down loop is definitely attached (welded) to roll bar and it is rubber coated.  The tie down hole is oval shape.  The hole is definitely not round. The tie down loop sticks out of the roll bar on the same side (or you could say it is on the same side) as the large portion or part of the roll bar that sticks out and connects to the seat belts.
The factory 68 and 69/70 Shelby convertible roll bars have the loop tie down screwed in not welded in. The loop tie down is chrome plated and threaded. It is not rubber covered. The repros that Branda sells for instance are identical in dimensions and outward appearance.https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-13525187779972_2268_20144641

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 05:13:15 PM »
Bob is the last word for correct.  It appears to me the Shelby Accessories roll bar I described above is NOT a real 69 Shelby roll bar. My comments on 69 Shelby roll bar should be disregarded.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 10:14:26 PM »
Thanks Mr. Gaines for keeping us straight on the correct parts and pieces!  :P

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:18:13 PM »
Thanks Mr. Gaines for keeping us straight on the correct parts and pieces!  :P
If I didn't Ed Meyer would never let me hear the end of it.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 10:52:53 PM »
  :o ;) You and Mr. Ed need to collaborate on a comprendium of Shelby history and parts numbers! Lol. I'm very glad and grateful that there are folks like you two who are this knowledgeable and helpful.